How to quickly move from net to base line for a drop/smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by popopi0102, Feb 27, 2008.

1. popopi0102

popopi0102 Regular Member

IT in Intel
    Hi,

I have been facing this problem ...

everytime I take net then my friends tends to give me a basline clear (they know me too well). and what I do is i turn my body run run straight to the back (like a 100m sprint), before reaching the back i turn my body side ways and I will be hopping with both feet.... reaching the baseline.... too late... the shutter already reach like... erm... 2 feet from my head (this is not good for smashing or clearing).

So, please advice.... is there any way to quickly move form net to baseline... as fast as possible...

FYI, I'm 5'2" (really short), 70kg (really heavy).... well build muscle cover with layers of fat. you can imagine that. :p

2. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    The best way to do so...
    for me...i would normally do this...once i drop, i will space back a bit(behind the shot line) and then wait...if ur opponent drops, u can jump forward and tap/push him...

If he lift to the backcourt, u immediately reverse backward and then do ur shot(eg. smash, dropshot)

U can go to youtube and watch those pro player play...majority of them do that...

3. AGRogers

AGRogers Regular Member

Coach & irrelevant day job
    Hi there,

I'll have a stab at explaining this, but a demonstration makes far more sense so bear with me...

Assuming you've just played a net shot, so you've lunged out with racquet foot closest to the net and recovered slightly from that position to kill a weak net return the following is (by my understanding) the 'ideal' way of moving to the rear of the court...

(i) Two foot to two foot jump going backwards, swapping the feet (so you now have your racquet foot nearer the baseline). This should take you comfortably behind the service line (with practise at least!).

(ii) Quick & low chasse steps back to underneath the shuttle (or your preferred striking position).

There you go, two phases to the movement. With practise you will only need two chasse steps to get right to the back line on the court.

Please note that while I can comfortably demonstrate this movement to a reasonable speed there isn't a single instance where I've succesfully managed to do it in a game situation! Guess I should spend more time training/playing and less time coaching :rolleyes:

There's no doubt that to consistently do this you need tremendous leg power and stamina. While building on that aspect it may be worth changing tactics slightly to prevent your opponents putting you in that position. If you only play drops/nets when your opponent is towards the rear of the court they have less time to play the lift/clear, alternatively if your nets/drops are tight enough then it takes superb technique to lift the shuttle to the rear of the court (purely because the net is in the way of the natural travel of the shuttle) thus reducing the distance you have to move.

Let me know if any of that makes the slightest bit of sense...

4. Folklung

Folklung New Member

Studying archaeology (not really a job is it?)
    Say you play a net shot, first thing you do is get back on the serve line (or a couple of inches behind it). From there you can easely return to the net and to the back of the field. It's also important that you stretch your arm as far as possible when playing netshots, don't crawl towards the net, stay away from it. And hit the shuttle high, don't lift it from the net, hit it when he passes the net.
    When going to the back of the field I prefer to use chasse steps, simply go faster for me. Jump to get the shuttle a bit higher and use what we in Holland call a wisselopsprong (While hitting you jump up and "change your legs", right leg goes to front, left to back, thus allowing you to go back to just behind the baseline again quickly).

As far training, start with something simple: lift, drop, netdrop, lift, drop netdrop.
    The start one person only gives lifts and netdrops, while the other returns every with a drop.
    Then allow the person that plays the lifts to choose what to play, netdrop or lift.

5. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    basically sounds like you need to learn some footwork, simple as that basically im sure you have heard the term shuffle right, well basically once you come into the newt to play a net shot you would have lunged in you want to shuffle out a step so that your still ready incase they play to the net you can get it but also so that if they lift it you can shuffle to the back of the court fast enough to get there and play a shot. there are many videos out there such as on youtube which you can learn how to move from the net to the back uh one that comes to mind is this one here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdB5tlpurJI) this might help it shows how to move to the back from the center and then near the end shoes moving in and out of the front and all you have to do is combine the two and bam you can move from the from the front to the back and vice versa.

6. popopi0102

IT in Intel
    I weight is dragging me down. need diet.... gaining weight after start working, no more exercise...... wah.... having belly really tire me alot.... will practise that in coming match.... Nope, no coach.. trained with 1 for 3 years then stop badminton.. that is when i'm in priamry standard 3 (5yr old).

The YouTube form smash master doesn;t show how to move from net to baseline.... ??

7. popopi0102

IT in Intel
    @Folklung - I wil try that too... thanks for the info

@AGRogers - Will try that either... and will choose which one suite me most.

Thanks!

8. popopi0102

IT in Intel
    @ZhiWeiZ - Thanks for the info also. !! will try out !! this Sunday!!

9. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    its more so showing you how to move from middle to baseline so if you combind that whit how you move from the net to the middle then thats basically how you move to the back.

10. harmono

harmono Regular Member

I think you will need explosive movement to play singles well. Just remember that it's easier to accelerate (and stop) moving forward then backward. So stand a little further back and let those fancy shoes fly you to the net instead of to the backcourt.