My strings broke in the middle of a match

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by hopsmashpro, Mar 1, 2008.

1. hopsmashpro

hopsmashpro Regular Member

Student
    Yer, I'm sure that this has happened to everyone before and so it happened to me today. After changing rackets, I continued playing and won but my coach said that he noticed after I break my strings, I play conservatively, perhaps that I'm afraid of breaking my strings again...

Anyone have the same problem??

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If your backup racket is the same then the string might of felt a bit different to your main racket. If your racket is different then you would have to adjust to it first so your playing would change a bit. For me since i have different main and spare rackets it takes me a few shots before i can play normal again.

3. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    Maybe you should carry more than 2 rackets when you're in a tournament

4. coley

coley Regular Member

engineer
    i break strings quite regularly, luckilly i restring my own rackets so im really not bothered if a string breaks, its just part of playing, i agree it might be an idea to carry a couple more spare rackest, especially if your playing with high tensions

:D
    coley

5. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    If you play in tournaments, it would be best to carry 2-3 rackets with the same string and tension so there would be minimal adjustment needed when you break strings and have to switch.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The fact that Yonex make bags that can hold 9 rackets shows how far the pros go to make sure they don't have to play conservatively to protect their equipment - some of them even have on-call stringers who operate during matches.

However, unless you're sponsored by a racket company it's unlikely you're going to come to court with 9 rackets! I'd say three matching and identically strung rackets will cover you 99% of the time.

Btw, I have seen a great many juniors play hesitantly with freshly strung rackets, so you are not alone by any means.

7. Xaviman

Xaviman Regular Member

why do you were affraid of breaking another string? only if you have to similar racket with similar string and similar use you can break your string if not it may not happend, so don't be afrraid of that. but it's true that you change you playing syle changing your racket in a game why is normal, and also good because it means that you know how to play and you know that you have to adjust your timing and control.
    So I think that you have to talk with your coach. :)

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Be well prepared for a tournament, including equipment. Try to re-string all your identical rackets with the same string @ same tension. Play each one for a session or so, to "break in". In case you need to switch racket during a match, you can minimize the time to adjust a racket. ;)

9. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    deffinetly be prepared in a tournament when playing i make sure that i carry 4-5 racquets in my bag and atleast 3 on court with me just incase you never know. as for playing more conservative after breaking them i know some players who do that but the thing is like thats kinda a disadvantage to your game when instead of attacking or taking those shots your not cause your worried about breaking your strings. But yeah just make sure that you have the same racquet and relatively the same tension or racquets that feel similar atleast. Happens to lots of players for sure.

10. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    I currently goto every tournament with 5 rackets, all strung at 24lbs usually with BG66 or BG85. I dont worry too much about breaking strings because I know I can pickup any racket and play the same game. and usually most tournaments havea baddie shop where I can geta re string as well.

11. eslilin

eslilin New Member

Interpreter
    Having identical racket with the same tension is highly recommended. You won't know the difference.

12. hopsmashpro

hopsmashpro Regular Member

Student
    yer thanks for the advice

i've got 2 rackets of armanetic 888 and 999 and another racket thats kawasaki! Weird, ey?? Kawasaki was the racket i used before i started taking baddy seriously.

Two rackets are at 22lbs and my kawasaki is at 23lbs for some reason....

13. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Do you notice the differences between your first and your second rackets? I don't mean on that day but in normal practice. Why you prefer one racket over the other? I am sure they are different in weight, balance, string, tension, feel, etc. that made you played differently. You subconsciously adjusted your game because the racket was different. That is my guess.

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's likely to be purely psychological. Players are prone to attributing fluctuations in their level of play to the racket. They also like to flatter themselves into believing they can detect the slightest nuance in equipment -- a gram heavier here, a half-pound tighter stringbed there.

This is a fantasy: the fantasy that you are a perfectly-tuned, highly sensitive badminton instrument, sensitive to even the tiniest disturbance in your smoothly-grooved operation. It's narcissism.

If you have the same racket, the same grip, the same string, the same tension -- then it will play the same. Anything else is in your head.

#14 Gollum, Mar 6, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  15. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

For identical or very similar rackets, I agree. I know in my case, I have MP88 and AT900. They feel very different to me. I can tell after warm-up. If I can feel the pop, I stay with AT900. If I am a little tire that day and want to play defensively, I change to MP88. I even changed racket in the middle of the game adjusting my play or something not working right. Maybe psychological, but it works.

Now, having said that, maybe that also help explain why my game isn't very consistence sometime :crying: :mad: :confused: :) :D

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes. Different rackets are, well, different.

I prefer not to change rackets at all. It's easier to adjust to one set of equipment than many.

17. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    well, I think the root cause of playing more conserved is a mentality. sooner or later you realize that either:
    A, This is your only other racket, if u break it, then u pretty much lose the match, so you play conservative with the thought that "breaking these strings will result in me losing, playing conservatively may make me lose, or lose just a few points" So you go with the second option, becasue theres a chance you can win.
    B, stinging rackets cost moeny, and you want to save money in your head, even though it is no big deal when you think about it. it just affects you.
    I know that often, I will improvise a solution, even though to b. Theres this "i want to say the solution costs a only a few dollars more, and improvising takes more labor. there is a "save money" mentality ingrained in our heads, and it affects us psychologically