User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Badminton Wallpaper (1280x1024 px)

Yesterday afternoon while sitting behind my PC, I suddenly had enough of my wallpaper. It was the standard XP background "Bliss". I began to look for some which had badminton as main subject, but found none which suited me. There also wasn't much to choose from.

I wondered why I didn't make one myself. I got the new Photoshop CS3 pack on my birthday, and hadn't tried it out yet. So there I began, searching for images on the internet, and editing them. My first choice went to Yonex (one of my favorite brands), and second one went to the new ArcSaber 10 (I really like the red design). As background, I used a huge picture of the Chinese flag (one which shows some 'movement'. Not a flat one).
    I'm still not too good with it, but at least I like the result.

I hope you guys like it. Constructive criticism is welcome, although I must note that it was my first time using PS CS3, and it's massive! I should have started with a smaller program. Huge amount of options and templates... So give me some time.

Here's is a small preview:

I put my name on a tiny spot on the down-right corner. That way it won't be disturbing.

Here's the real file. It's in Bitmap format, which should be of higher quality than jpeg. (file size is much larger, and when viewed, you see the difference). Uploaded with MediaFire, but somehow only download option, not viewable from the site.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c...144e771256a290
    Last edited by Fengwei; 03-01-2008 at 09:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bad for a first time. From an artistic point of view, the Yonex logo is far too big.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molohov View Post
    Not bad for a first time. From an artistic point of view, the Yonex logo is far too big.
    It's actually 'good' for a first time.

However to improve this image...
    1)Use the magic-wand tool to select the blue and green parts of the Yonex logo, and delete it. It doesn't really match with the red background.
    2)Try getting rid of the technical infos of the ArcSaber 10, and dont make the racquet blend into the background. This will make the racquet stand out more.

Maybe you could also use the polygonial-lasso tool to select the areas around the racquet, and make it blurrier: filter>blur>gaussian blur, but not too blur.

Lastly, save it in JPEG. The image quality wont decrease dramatically, but the size will be way less.. about 500kb or so max if it's in JPEG. Right now, it's 3.5MB in BMP. By changing the format to JPEG, you could probably upload as much as you want, onto photobucket.com.

Looks pretty good. I'd rate it 8/10 for your first go.
    Last edited by jhirata; 03-01-2008 at 11:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its not to bad for a first time, hope to see some more of your work if you do some more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that looks pretty awesome! I think the racket may look better if were placed on a slant or something xD, just my opinion :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot guys. I'll try to change it. I was also thinking of downloading some Guide on how to use all the options of Photoshop. On my own, I guess I' only use 10% of the full potential because I just don't know how to.

@jhirata - I could have got rid of the colors of the Yonex, but somehow the green and the red attracted me. Although you're right about the mismatch, especially on the blue side. I used a blur/edge to get rid of some of the sharp edges, but it didn't come out easily. I'll try to do the lasso thing.

@Molohov - True, it isn't exactly small. When I started, I wanted to use some special effects and blurs to fill up some pieces of the Chinese flag which was used as background canvas. However, I didn't know how to get that done, so it ended up with a slightly oversized logo

@Ramster & Smash_Master - Thanks, I'll try to keep working on stuff.
    Last edited by Fengwei; 03-02-2008 at 04:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my own badminton-related wallpaper:

I hope it's ok with Fengwei that I borrow his thread.

Go to http://www.edu.nacka.se/gustaf.fjaestad and you should find the link to the picture on the frontpage.

The rest of the page is just leftover trying-out-for-fun-junk not used for anything and the text is just to fill out the pages. Btw, I know the page looks ****ed in IE...

Hmm.. now I ****ed something even more... Anyways, the wallpaper is found under the text: "Her is the picture" under the "menu bars".

It is 1280*800 and fits a laptop widescreen... If anyone wants some other size I might be able to help with that.

Regards
    Gustaf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice. Maybe you should have used the polygonial lasso tool to select the edges of the AT900T. And I just realised.. there's a BIG black thing on the left which is sort of an unnecessary focal. O_O

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats pretty cool wallpaper of bao there gustaff, looks good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jhirata View Post
    Nice. Maybe you should have used the polygonial lasso tool to select the edges of the AT900T. And I just realised.. there's a BIG black thing on the left which is sort of an unnecessary focal. O_O
    Nahh, polygonal lasso tool sucks, pen tool FTW

I know the racquet isnt cut out very nicely, just used the "magic wand" and did it... Haven't had the time to fix it yet...

Haha, I like the big black thing :P But surely I could make a version without if you'd prefer.

Regards

BTW. The wallpaper inlcudes many of my favourite things. :P

I.E. Badminton, Girls, AT900T, Bao Chunlai & Yonex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gustaff View Post
    Nahh, polygonal lasso tool sucks, pen tool FTW

I know the racquet isnt cut out very nicely, just used the "magic wand" and did it... Haven't had the time to fix it yet...

Haha, I like the big black thing :P But surely I could make a version without if you'd prefer.

Regards

BTW. The wallpaper inlcudes many of my favourite things. :P

I.E. Badminton, Girls, AT900T, Bao Chunlai & Yonex
    Damn, I dont know how to use the pentool yet .
    I used to use the magic wand tool all the time, but I later figured out that I cant select the edges perfectly with it... and it leaves all these little bubbles everywhere. So I switched to polygonial lasso.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, pentool is not difficult to use at all actually, and works a lot better

No, I usually dont use magic wand either except when the background is white and what i'm doing isn't important. But in this case it didn't work out to well as the racquet itself was a bit white :P

Regards, will soon upload a new version without the girl and other bg color, and fixed racquet.

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, made a new version, without girl as suggested and also i have choosen a new, imo better looking BG-color and also cut the racquet nicer.

Also made a version that is 1280*1024 for all with regular screens

Please comment.

Regards

P.S. You find them at the same URL: http://www.edu.nacka.se/gustaf.fjaestad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice done! but if you see carefully on the bigger wallpaper you see that the strings has fallen out of the racket

Men annars bra gjort! Kan inte mycket själv

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grungy, but better!
    Did you use downloaded brushes for the background ? It's a bit too blur IMO, but not a problem at all if I look at it from far away.

It's really good, but somehow it doesn't look too right.
    -Think about composition, scale, and the texture, etc:
    -Bao Chun Lai is BIG, so maybe he'll look better if his image is enlarged.

-The text and the red lines though, have no problem IMO.

-The AT900T is a slick racquet, and it doesn't go too well with the grungy background.

Have you had a look at the wall papers from the Yonex Thomas/Uber Cup Japan 2006 ? It's composed very well. Here are the simple examples: http://www.yonex-tuc.com/english/download/index.html
    They're still not too good because the background is blurred. But who cares? xD.

Hope this helps.. I think I might have a go at making a badminton wallpaper too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is my version, it looks too simple and plain..:
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...wallpaper1.jpg

Last edited by jhirata; 03-11-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkwingduck View Post
    nice done! but if you see carefully on the bigger wallpaper you see that the strings has fallen out of the racket

Men annars bra gjort! Kan inte mycket själv
    Oops, how could i forget to fix that.

Haha, tackar

Grungy, but better!
    Did you use downloaded brushes for the background ? It's a bit too blur IMO, but not a problem at all if I look at it from far away.

It's really good, but somehow it doesn't look too right.
    -Think about composition, scale, and the texture, etc:
    -Bao Chun Lai is BIG, so maybe he'll look better if his image is enlarged.

-The text and the red lines though, have no problem IMO.

-The AT900T is a slick racquet, and it doesn't go too well with the grungy background.

Have you had a look at the wall papers from the Yonex Thomas/Uber Cup Japan 2006 ? It's composed very well. Here are the simple examples: http://www.yonex-tuc.com/english/download/index.html
    They're still not too good because the background is blurred. But who cares? xD.

Hope this helps.. I think I might have a go at making a badminton wallpaper too.
    I could do one without the grunge if you want, just not today, school then straight of to practice... Maybe later tonight though.

Haha, problem is that the picture of him is to small, I might be able to enlarge him a little bit though.

Yea, I have seen them, but I think the background becomes a bit boring with completely plain BG... imo

I like yours, it's quite nice, just be more accurate and precise when you cut out the player. Also you could try removing the strings and adding a layer of color that you try to make look like strings...

Good work, anyway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast