do i have an injury

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chiisu, Mar 1, 2008.

1. chiisu

chiisu Regular Member

okay, well lately my bicep has been hurting after playing badminton. when i'm playing i can feel it hurt *sometimes* other than that in everyday activies it doesnt hurt. However, it does it when i push deep into the muscle. and it only has pain in the lower bicep, just above the joint or crease in the arm.

I also tend to smash a lot i was wondering maybe my smash form is wrong and that could be causing the pain. By the way when you smash your not suppose to fully extend your arm right?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Sounds like a tendon inflammation; you may be developing an overuse injury. See a doctor if it's not gone within a week or two, or immediately if it gets worse.

I would follow an anti-inflammation regime for three days (the period of initial inflammatory response): rest it, ice it (10 minutes, 2-3 times a day, avoid direct skin contact with ice), and take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (such as ibuprofen, 400mg 3 times a day with meals).

Correct. You should hit at full relaxed reach -- which means your arm is nearly straight at impact, but the elbow joint is still slightly bent (not "locked"). This protects your joints -- so you will be less likely to suffer from tendon injuries, among others.

#2 Gollum, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  3. chiisu

chiisu Regular Member

thanks, i think its working cause i took some ibuprofein and the pains a lot better i also iced it for 10 mins

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Great! :)

Don't forget the rest part. That's the most important one. ;)

For the full RICE treatment, you can also apply Compression bandaging and Elevate it above the level of your heart. But these last two measures are a fair nuisance, and are not as important as the first two -- so people tend not to bother unless they have a serious strain/sprain.

#4 Gollum, Mar 3, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008