Clash In Thailand Badminton

Discussion in '2008 Tournaments' started by jump_smash, Mar 4, 2008.

1. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    I just heard on ABC News Radio (Australia) last night there was a argument between the Thai Badminton Association and the Sponsor of the Thai Open - Thai Cement. I didn't quite catch all of it, something about Olympic testing ordered by Thai Cement, and Boonsak out of Olympics?. Can anyone please update me.

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Rift In Thailand Badminton

Yesterday, Reuters reported a nasty spat between the national association and the sponsor. You seem to be referring to that.

In short, the Thailand team sponsor SCG (Siam Cement Group) said it was unhappy with the fitness levels of the top badminton players. So SCG conducted its own physical fitness tests reasoning that if it were to spend any money on pre-Olympic training, qualifying tournaments (like the SS) and the eventual Games participation, it was justified in evaluating the players in the OG contingent.

Result: The top players, including Boonsak Ponsana, failed the physical fitness tests. SCG then decided it would not send these players for any of the qualifying Super Series events before the Olympic Games.

You can read the Reuters article online.
    Here's one link: The Guardian

3. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Interesting, since when did the sponsors have additional "rights" to determine player condition?

I suppose, in the contract, there is a clause for certain kinds of achievements to be filled.

4. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Why not? Boonsak has the skills of a champion but he can only be one when supported by top fitness and stamina.The only time I saw him in that condition was in SO07 and that's probably how he managed to beat LD and go on to win the title.
    Many Asian players (and might I add, coaches) except CHN, are quite stupid in focussing on skills training and slighting the fundamental, which is fitness and stamina.Gym work demands discipline and getting over the pain barrier but champions need to pass that before they can be one.(The Danes have a different problem. They take care of everything except the fundamentally crucial serve.)
    Why don't they understand the great rewards of gym grim? You breathe better, move better,think better(hopefully) and look and feel more confident.All these with less effort and greater pleasure while on court.
    There is no way any MS can win a decent title nowadays without top fitness and stamina.(In the past, maybe they can do it with moderate fitness and stamina,)
    With top skills they can win a match. But if I were a sponsor of a potential champion,I would want my money's worth;I want my brand to be broadcast over TV and that sure way to happen is when the players get to the final.Otherwise I'm sponsoring them to go on holidays.Of course there's no guarantee of a final placing even with gym work but without gym work, there's a sure guarantee they can't win a title but exit the wrong end.The minimum criterion is they maximise the efforts in what they have control over:skills training and gym work.

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

...ever since they started spending money, I guess :p

Who'd want to financially back someone who's in no shape to make it? ;)

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Can't argue with professional players having to be fit.

But it will be pertinent to know what sort of standards they set in order to qualify! And are those fitness tests relevant to badminton?

It appears that half of the Thai team was found to be unfit. If the no.1 player Boonsak is unfit and is disqualified and some other lessor but 'fitter' players are allowed to participate in international tournaments, the outcome for the sponsors may be worse off since it will be harder for them to win medals.

I recall the Indian Badminton fiasco not long ago when the national players were asked to attend training camps, presumably to beef up their fitness, and to forego BWF tournaments during that period. It has caused a great deal of unhappiness and precious time when there was a stand still from the disagreements.

The national players lost their sharpness through lack of match exposure and even their no.1 player, Chetan, has to play in the SS qualifying rounds subsequently. And they still haven't recovered judging from their recent performances.

But according to the Thai report, Boonsak will go to Beijing Olympics even though the sponsors stuck to their guns. The Thai BA will not let the sponsor tell them what to do!

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes! And gearing up to the Olympics, the fitness programme needs fine tuning. You don't aim to peak your fitness levels 5 months before the most important tournament. You try to have peak fitness just before the tournament starts. Build up too soon and the players might suffer an injury.

If SCG is the team sponsor, it should have gone through the association. I do think their timing is quite strange considering it's a national effort and everybody should be together behind their players.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes and I think the word is "PERIODIZATION" with the aim of peaking just during the BO. Peaking too early or too late for the main competition is of no use! Better leave it to the people who know better - the coaches and other professionals helping to attain the same goal -rather than to the sponsors! :mad:

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Once you control the $$$ book, you can re-write any laws. I just hope such "modifications" are at least reasonable to a degree. ;)

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

SCG, the team sponsor, has just found more justification for its position.

At the All England Open 2008, Boonsak Ponsana has lost to a 'more physically fit' Shoji Sato ;)

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    But Sato is not nobody. Yes, he's not up to the level of LD, TH, or LCW. However, losing to Sato (who's known for his speed) can not be a hard proof in this case... :cool:

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree, Sato is not a nobody.But speed alone without another big weapon or two does not bring him far.Boonsak has more superior skills and can only lose to Sato for lack of fitness. If the legs can't keep up, the hands are redundant.
    There must be a minimum fitness level test, like one to indicate stamina for 5 matches plus a spare.That's the maintenance level. Who knows about peaking? Does winning mean peaking? LD's been peaking for 3 years?

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well if Boonsak and his coach have the Beijing Olympics as the target, then Boonsak should not be peaking now.

He and the coach will agree to a specific program to emphasize on certain tasks to achieve on the way to the BO. This tasks could be specific that involve techniques or physical fitness or a combination of both. But they are geared towards the BO.

So losing to Shoji Sato now should not ring alarm bells. Maybe that exposure had fulfilled certain of their objectives and also gave Boonsak and coach a chance to sort out any shortcomings on their way to the BO.

A player can't be expected to peak throughout the year. That's why a programme has to be "tailored" to gradually train the player to peak condition.
    Sometimes the programme may be designed for attaining the 'lower' peaks first, with adequate rests in between, before attempting the high peaks. As such the programme is divided into "periods" to achieve certain ends. "Periodization" is the term given to this sort of programming.

In this sense, Boonsak, or even KKK/TBH, may well be in peak form during the Beijing Olympics - certainly their major goal! :)

14. ricksakti

ricksakti Regular Member

Surgeon
    Boonsak is a talented players... but lacking luck...hehehehe...

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

So it's good to lose now as a build up to winning(peaking ?) in OG08? I don't remember Boonsak losing to Sato before.Boonsak has been on a generous streak,losing in R1 or R2 so others can earn Olympic ranking points.

16. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
  17. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

That's the same report by the same news agency... just that it's a day older :)

18. sen

sen Regular Member

Not only now, last time also fitness and stamina plays important part. Even 40 years ago, there is no gym in Indonesia but the players train themselves under hot sun, using anything, not just gym equipment.

In the end, it is players discipline in training their fitness level that can make difference. Sadly, not many top Indonesian players now have that discipline.

Meanwhile, the Chinese players are more discipline during this era.

On another topic, money(sponsor), I guess, influence many things in any sports nowadays. But how big the influence is something that is debatable.

19. gustaff

gustaff Regular Member

Work
    Fitness is required in the chinese teams...

Just to be able to join the U19 team, besides being truly great at badminton, they have to be able to do 1500 double skips with a skipping rope, in 15 minutes. And i would guess that is just a part of the requirements.

//