I have an injury, what should I do ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jhirata, Mar 5, 2008.

1. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

My injury:
    Lower Back pain, worsening everytime I play badminton. This pain has been getting worse every week, for the past 5 weeks or so.
    According to a physiotherapist at my school, I should take a break and not play badminton for a few weeks until it heals. My hardout friend(who reads all my comments here at BC ;)), also adviced me yesterday not to risk my back because he knows someone who had to quit badminton for a year because of a back injury.

I dont mind not going to clubs and the social games, but there is an 'international coaching clinic' and a 'fun-tournament' happening this Saturday. The coach, who will only be in NewZealand for a week or so is the head coach of the badminton institute at Singapore Sports School, who had also coached Kendrick Lee and Ronald Susilo. He had also played for Indonesia in the Thomas Cup a several times. His name is Basri Yusuf.

Now here's my question. Should I risk my back for the 'once in a lifetime opportunity', or should I just watch my friends and others get coached ? :crying:

Pretty hard decision for me here..

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Avoid the fun tournament at all costs.

You decide if you can go to the coaching clinic but do avoid the heavy physical training. Try to pick up more on individual techniques.

3. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    That coach is good.
    He is, um, an old hand ;)

You will find it worth your while to be there, even if you don't take part in the coaching sessions :)

PS: Let us know if his son too takes part.
    He is quite a good player.

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Yessir. I guess I'll only go for the coaching, the free food and the free prizes:)D).
    In this case, I think I'll also not take part in the pre-season training next week either and wait for my back to heal.

Oh, coach Basri Yusuf is comming over here together with
    another person called Ahmad Bhakar, but I believe that his son is not comming.

5. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Today's the climax.. I think I'll take photos of the coaching sessions and also the coach.

6. pramana

pramana Regular Member

Hi,

I have almost the same issue. There is a company that sell herbal hot & cold therapy pack. http://www.naturecreation.com

I nurture my pains by using its Herb Pack. It helps to reduce the tension on my muscles. Maybe you may try it.

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

one of my relatives had chronic back problems as well.
    he was introduced to a back stretcher which did him wonders, i've got one as well though my back is still fine.
    he uses it 10 mins a day, every day, and now he's back to normal, it's quite amazing actually.

it's similar to this, although slightly different but i believe the concepts are the same ...

http://www.thebackcoach.co.uk/

8. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Thanks for the advice, pramana!
    I'm stiff suffering from this back issue.. I often put ice or frozen peas on my back, and sometimes tigerbalm to cool it down to stop it inflaming..
    But the thing which works the best for me right now is to stop playing badminton.. :(

edit: wow.. i have 1000posts already

And here's some pictures from the coaching session..
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47697&page=10

#8 jhirata, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  9. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    tigerbalm and ice is very opposite. one heats up your muscles to encourage blood flow and ease sore and tired muscles. one cools down your body and removes blood from the area so your body can go back to healing and fixing damaged tissue.

10. Vomit

Vomit Regular Member

IT Consultant
    After a while of rest It may be a good idea to do some lower back exercises. Just make sure you start gentle. I'm sure your physio can recommend some good exercises.

11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Yep.. I've been doing the 'ab-excercises' everyday as instructed by the physiotherapist. It's supposed to strengthen the 'inner-muscles' or the 'core muscles', which is connected to the lower-back. It's not tiring, but it's really hard to do everything at once. It's getting better now, thanks to the excercises, massages and my improving footwork.