Longitudinal axis of shuttle with doubles serve

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Cheung, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Since we just mentioned about the base of the shuttle when serving, where do people point the base of the shuttle when serving a backhand serve in doubles?

For myself, the shuttle base points towards my racquet with the longitudinal axis almost horizontal. It gives a very consistent serve but I find i cannot stand right up to the T position instead stand a bit back approx 8 inches. (my height is 5' 7"). The shuttle will fly a bit high if I stand too close whereas standing back allows less upward angle to the net.

One of the best serves I've seen was Tian BingYi. Who else do people think have excellent doubles serves .

2. viver

viver Regular Member

RE: Longitudinal axis of shuttle with doubles serv

When serving this way I found the shuttle's cork points upwards when crossing the net which make easier for the opponent for doing a net kill. I think Park Joo Bong/Kim Moon Sung had probavly the best backhand doubles serve. They stand close to the T when serving and I noticed that they move the racquet downwards in a way that the racquet head becomes almost parallel to the shuttle before they hit it. The bird bounces up but the head (cork) seems to point downwardts when crossing the net making the net push/kill more difficult.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

i dont find the near horizontal longitudinal axis advantage to me.

4. jet

jet Guest

i think Kim Moon So had probaly the best backhand double serve.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

The direction of my racquet is towards the net with only a slight upward angle. This way the shuttle doesn;t swing up above the net. Because the base swings about, it creates a bit of uncertainty for the receiver.

I thought Park had some problems with serve. Have seen him use forehand and backhand serve.