"Bang" sound from clears

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by em160, Mar 6, 2008.

1. em160

em160 Regular Member

None
    hey guys,

i've been playing badminton for about 2 years now, but only this year i started playing for my high school team. i've noticed a few things during practice that i've tried to imitate (no, they arent "fancy" strokes)...

some of the players that have been on the team for almost 4 years now and the coach produce a very loud "bang" whenever they do a forehand or (sometimes) a backhand clear.

my clears dont make much sound and don't go nearly as far as theirs. i used the search on these forums (which are EXTREMELY helpful by the way) to try and find anything about clears (i found some technique things, but they don't explain HOW to get the sound).

i haven't ever had any real coaching, and i'm sure there are many things wrong with my technique, but i was wondering if there is anything specific to producing the bang sound.

any ideas? thanks :)

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    That bang sound comes primarily from a fast racquet head speed. For any given racquet head speed higher tension of the string will produce a tighter and crisper bang.

3. aerotus70

aerotus70 Regular Member

:D

try hitting the feather will have some sound also

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

If you can do a decent baseline to baseline clear, then the big 'bang' sound should be there.

5. zydoce

zydoce Regular Member

Student
    i enjoyed the sound when they smashed.. so admire those guys who can produce the sound when they smash.. though i can do a baseline to baseline clear until it nearly reach the roof, but still i can't produce the sound..

6. em160

em160 Regular Member

None
    well, my overhead clear isn't very powerful, though. i read the badmintonbible grips guide and i realized i've been using the panhandle grip (like i said earlier, ive never had a coach spend one on one time with me). with the "basic" grip it seems to me that i will have to rotate my forearm (from what ive read im assuming this is called pronation)...

would this grip, in combination with a shorter, faster swing help?

7. aerotus70

aerotus70 Regular Member

ermmm

practice , play more games with your school badminton team or friends (who can play) then the sound will come naturally :)

8. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi Em160,
    1) Welcome
    2) what kind of racquet and tension is on that racquet?
    3) get under the shuttle and make sure the shuttle is a little front of you.
    4) look at the advanced players, their arm and body are straight out and hit at very top.
    5) just like aerotus70 said, practice, practice and more practice.

good luck

9. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    the bang sound from a clear comes from hitting the shuttle in the sweet spot while pronating your arm for the shot. likeyou said you looked into it and saw that you have been using the panhandle so thats good that you are switching to the "basic" or standard forehand grip. This grip will allow you to pronate your arm and with doing this you will be able to generate faster head speed which in turn when you hit the sweet spot will give you a nice crisp bang as well as allowing you to clear with more relative ease. Keep working on it and best to grab some people from the team who can help you work on it. Just keep practicing and working on using thr forehand grip and proper technique when hitting and in no time at all you will be doing it too.

10. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

If you have decent string tension, and contact the ball reasonably quickly square on, it will bang. High tension on the correct strings can amplify the bang. I think the most common cause of no bang is to slice the shuttle a bit. It might not be a sideways slice, it is often a slice "under" the shuttle.

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Try to notice if you are not slicing the shuttle.

12. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    you've got the general ide there. yes, you will need to pronate, otherwise it doesn't feel right with a normal grip. and the basis is a fast swing, but only near impact. it should be short and snappy. then you can add in hip rotation, and all that hola, but the basis should be an explosive pronation of your forearm.

interestingly, you've mentioned the sound. the sound of a stroke is actually one of the best indicators of whether you are hitting it right. slices will produce different sounds to a normal contact. and if you get the right sound, it means you are hitting it properly. even if you don't get the right length, power can be developed as you go. but good technique and good contact is more important.

13. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    medium flex with tension 21lbs may produce high clear but no loud bang when hitting the sweet spot. Generally it will be what taneepak quoted

That bang sound comes primarily from a fast racquet head speed. For any given racquet head speed higher tension of the string will produce a tighter and crisper bang.

And of course some racket has more damping than others in the frame so sound different.

14. em160

em160 Regular Member

None
    thanks for all of the replies guys,

i showed my doubles partner the "basic grip" (he was using the panhandle grip as well), talked to him about pronation and some of the other things you guys mentioned here and now all of his shots are extremely loud and are much more powerful. he's very happy, but...

i feel very awkward when using the "basic" grip -- it seems like i really have to twist my arm to hit the shuttle straight on. when i try to use it i either miss or i hit the shuttle way to the left.

i'm happy for him, but i don't know what im doing wrong and neither does he

15. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    need to adjust your body posture accordingly so that you can hit the shuttle with a smooth arm motion. just need a little bit of practice to get the correct posture and you will find it easy.

16. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

what about asking your friend to hear from your shot.
    most of the time, we couldn't hear ourselves the sound that we made.

other grass is always greener. or may be they are greener. :D

17. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    The new Yonex Nanogy 98 has a nice sound to it when you hit the sweet spot. Proper technique will help you a lot.

18. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    try looking at some video's of pro's or advanced players, youtube is alright for starter's. try to imitate the good players on your teams stroke.

19. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    A "bang" comes from a properly hit overhead shot. A "boom" will come out from properly hit overhead shot at low tension, possibly with a 22lbs or less string. I've noticed that ever since I switched from Bg-65 @ 22lbs to Bg-80 @ 24lbs. Even when the Bg-80 suppose to be louder, low tension makes the huge boom. I play with plastics only too so.

20. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Hurrah! :)

New techniques normally feel awkward, because you are not used to them. Don't let that put you off.

You do really have to twist your arm! That is the whole point of using the basic grip instead of the panhandle grip. This arm twisting is essential for powerful strokes.

Moving from "panhandling" to a correct overhead forehand hitting action (with the twisting) is a challenge. It is not easy, and it will take time. Some players pick it up more quickly than others.

Depending on how easily you pick it up, you can either make the complete grip change all at once, or you can gradually adjust your panhandle grip towards the basic grip, and introduce slightly more arm twisting each time.