AE 2008 Day 2 Review

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2008' started by jamesd20, Mar 7, 2008.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Due to time and work contraints this year unfortunately I onlly have managed to go to one day this year, Here is my review of yesterday, with my predictions for the winners.

My apologies for the delay, I am trying to get in the predictions before play starts.

The following is a review of each of the matches I watched, I missed the first few matches.

LYD/LHJ vs Bach/Lee: This was an impressive performance, despite the weak opposition, they control the game and looked comfortable throughout, If LHJ can stay consistent they have a good chance against GL/ZB today

LCW vs Tommy S: For most of the match I thought LCW was injured, he looked a little lethargic and not very interested. In marked comparison to previous years when he has been full of energy and very smooth. His style has reverted back to his deception and rally style from his fast attacking play with LM. I think it suits him better, but he still needs to be fast.

HJM/LJJ vs Tony/Candra: This was very impressive for KOR pair, INA never had a chance, as they were too slow and not penetrating the KOR defence at all. a KOR pair look good for the title IMHO

LYD/JJS vs Mogensen/Boe: Again the KOR pair were very impressive against quite strong opposition. The games were actually quite tight, but KOR were deserved winners. We will see how LYD stamina is playing in two disciplines, he looks good to reach at least one final however. The DEN pair were much improved from last year, but still lacked an edge to really conrol rallies and defend well under pressure.

Cai/Fu vs Wiratama/Njoto: Cai/Fu lacked any drive, there smashes were not penetrative and their defense really quite weak. the HKG pair were faster than them. a very dissapointing performanced all round.

TH vs NTH : TH is a shadow of his former self. He was never in control, looked hurried. His smashes are still there when he has the chances, but he is relying on his backhand much more than usual, and lacks his top pace. I don't fancy him to beat LCW, but LCW was not very impressive either though.

LD vs EP: Lin Dan has not changed, he is still fast, powerful and dominates games. IMHO he was the most impressive performer, even though he was playing a weaker opponent he cruised it.

WMC vs JYJ: Even though WMC has no real weapons she is consistents, has good ourt coverage and doesn't make many mistakes. The New CHN WS players are the opposite. They lack court coverage and consistency in favour of Shot making ability. IMHO it doesn't work.

Will post more on other matches in bit. Have to go now.

My Bets for Winners are:

MS: LD

WS: WMC/Tine Rasmussen

MD: one of KOR pairs

WD: Yang/Zhang they are still the strongest all round players IMHO

XD: KOR pair or ZB/GL

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    More reviews:

TR vs Zhu Lin: Just like WMC v JYJ Zhu Lin has a lot of good shots, but does not have the work ethic to fight in a game and seems not powerful enough to have the court covered or maintain the stamina after some tought rallies. the CHN WS of old could push their opponents in the rallies and then when they tired they wiped them up and won easily. The new batch seem not to have this ability, indeed if they have a tough rally it is they who are struggling to maintain the pace. This discipline could be interesting in a couple of years time if some other countries can improve their players.

JR/LP Vs TPE pair: JR/LP won, but sorry to say they were unconvincing. They never found their top gear and show flashes of old form, but in most places they were off the pace and weren't incisive. I don't fancy them against one of the top pairs.

3. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    Nice read...always enjoy your yearly commentary, give us more of your insight if you go to QF and beyond

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

You're getting there..

..(wonderful review snipped for brevity)...and your prediction is getting there..;)