Interclub Competition: Smash City/GGBC - Wed, Mar 12th

Discussion in 'Smash City Badminton Club - CLOSED' started by wlum, Mar 7, 2008.

1. wlum

wlum Regular Member

We realized that some may have missed this post since it wasn't posted under the Smash City thread!!

You are cordially invited to watch the Best of Bay Area Badminton (BBAB) when the Best players from Golden Gate Badminton Club compete against the Best players of Smash City! The competition will start at 7:00pm on Wednesday, March 12, 2008. Admission is free!!

We plan to compete Thomas Cup style – that being 3 Singles events and 2 Doubles events. If there is more interest amongst the players, we can expand to 7 or more matches. Come see internationally recognized players such as Chandra (GGBC) and Holvy De Pauw (Smash City), along with local favorites Arnold Setiadi (Smash City) and Daniel Gouw (GGBC). Other names will be announced as they confirm their participation!! Participants include the coaches, Elite students, and members of each club!!

If this series becomes popular, we plan to open up the interclub competition to other clubs including both Northern and Southern California, and maybe begin a junior and/or senior series as well.

Kwun – please let us know if you’d like to come take pictures! If I’m not selected to play – maybe I’ll take some pictures also and we can compare settings on our cameras!!

For more information, please contact Chandra (Chandra@ggbadminton.com) or Wayne (wlum@smashcity.net)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i will be there. i am trying to get the final lineup of the two teams and post them here as soon as they have them released.

3. wlum

wlum Regular Member

Smash City is proud to host this interclub competition! It will be very exciting. Since members of both clubs have won many national and local tournaments -- this is like watching just the finals of all those events. Great fun for adults and learning experiences for younger players.

Our combatant list includes:

Smash City Dragons: Coach Holvy DePauw (former Indonesian National Team), Arnold Setiadi (USA Thomas Cup Team Member), Kiam Tey (Bay Area Open winner multiple times), Rusdi Sumardy (Well known A Level player and coach), OA (Taiwanese National Team Member and Coach), Tri Dang, and Kranti Talluri. We'll also have other available to compete such as Coach Ryan Ang and Brendan Lum.

Golden Gate All Star Elites include Chandra (former Indonesian National Team), Daniel Gouw (USA Thomas Cup Team Member), Chris Hales (USA Team member), Mike Yang (multiple Bay Area Open WINNER), Kota (GGBC Coach), James, Kamal, Igor and some others!

I'm sure all these guys have done a lot more and won a lot more than I've listed, but in any case, this will be fun fun fun!!

We'll reserve 1 court for our official matches, and likely 2 other courts for team members of both clubs to challenge one another or mix and play with each other. Who can beat Chandra and Daniel? or can anyone match Coach DePauw in Singles? Is that person Chandra? Imagine that -- clubs playing against each other AND playing together!!

Although Kwun will capture every shot with the sharpest eye in badminton, please come in person and see the excitement with your own eyes!

See you there!

4. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Wayne please video tape?

Hello Wayne,

Some friends from the GG Thread asked you to video tape the game. They said you were super video taper!! PULLELASE video tape cos I CAN'T MAKE IT!!:crying: It will be really exciting and I really commend you and Mike for doing this cos it is great for the promotion of badminton and long lasting friendship! Mike and all the GG ballers :p are really looking forward to Wednesday and we've emailed ALL our members to come watch this exciting event! Most important is to have FUN!

Regards, Sally

5. govalley

govalley Regular Member

Pharmacist
    And upload it or put it on youtube, so the whole world people can enjoy it

6. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Missed That....

Yah yahhhh... :D

S

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    tonight's match will go along Thomas Cup format.

here is the lineup:

Singles 1: Holvy De Pauw vs. James Young
    Doubles 1 : Kiam Tey / Tri Dang vs. Chandra Kowi / Kamal Massoudi
    Singles 2: Arnold Setiadi vs. Chris Hales
    Doubles 2: Kranti Talluri / Rusdi Sumardy vs. Mike Yang / Dan Gouw
    Singles 3: Cheng Che-Chang (OA) vs. Igor Marmer

8. shreky

shreky Regular Member

.... and the results ??? any videos as well??

... opps ... i just saw the GGBC thread .... never mind

#8 shreky, Mar 13, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  11. harimau

harimau Regular Member

ITs, CEs, P&C Insurance Agent
    Yeah what is the result ? I also see Branden Lum in the picture. Is he not playing ? Actually down south here, we have been doing this interclub thingy since last year between OCBC Vs Garden Grove BC, and SGVBC also once a month. Our format is double only in three different levels which is A,B, C. Each level will have 4 double teams; all levels get to play 4 matches during the meet since it is round robbin format. Reason being is to involve more people in the game even the beginners. And also the other mission is to promote friendship thru the sport we love so much badminton. And now this league is getting more and more popular as it has become a regularity among our clubs here. Even the new club, ABC has started joining the league.
    The bottom line is it is good for health, the sport, and also making new friends. The is what this league is all about !! Maybe in the future we also can incorporate Nor Cal club into the league. This will become big ....someday !!