Racquet Recommendation.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Desser, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Desser

Desser Regular Member

My first post is a thread with a bad title. Yay.

On topic, I'm planning to buy a racquet. I'm mainly going to play doubles, but I still enjoy playing singles now and then. Since badminton season has started (high schooler here), I'll be playing almost every week day. I used to take once per week classes, starting last year.

Normally, I end up smashing/clearing a lot; I occasionally go for a drop, but my skill with those is rather lacking.

I'd prefer performance over durability, but I still need some durability. I'm just not planning to go around whacking walls with my racquet.

My budget is only up to $100 (US), and I believe I'm stuck to buying from Badminton Alley. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to order online.

Feel free to ask some questions, but my badminton experience is rather low. I'll have to answer them when I wake up again though.

2. Desser

Desser Regular Member

I forgot to add that I'm currently using a Black Knight ba725, which I think I've outgrown.

Either its the long opening post or my overused specs that's getting me no replies. Or the period in the title.

3. zehow

zehow Regular Member

Hey dude,
    I played at Paly, what school are you at?
    Anyways, I started out high school with a Yang Yang J-Smash I got at Badminton Alley. Really cheap and pretty good for me until I got a bit better. But you're probably looking for a slightly better racket (ur second one?). I used Yonex rackets after that. Got a MP100 after the J-smash and that was a lot of improvement... still playing with that. MP is expensive (>>100) though... so maybe a Carbonex or an Armortec? I sometimes hit with my friends' and they're good. Like Armortec better. Both lines have lots of rackets under 100 at Alley. Does Alley have a trial program? I think Bintang might have a trial thing, where you pay to trial a racket for a bit and then you get a deduction on the price of the racket when u actually buy. Good hunting!

4. Desser

Desser Regular Member

I go to Homestead. There's some annoying pressure since we moved up a division.

Thanks for your reply, man. The MP100 would be nice, but the $200+ price tag is really outa my budget. Not like I would be able to use the MP to its fullest potential. After looking at the rackets, I'm leaning towards the Armortec (250?), I think. Are there any glaring problems with the AT250 that I should know of?

5. zehow

zehow Regular Member

Don't know anything about the Armortec 250 specifically , but it looks like a good racket. Haven't heard anything bad about the Armortec from anyone at Paly, but they're all using 700, 800, or 900 now (expensive as heck). Anyways, I think it would be a good choice. I like the head-heavy description. When I used a Carbonex the other day, it wasn't head-heavy enough in my opinion but the Armortecs I've played with are good in that respect and deliver as much power as my MP100. I don't think you'd go wrong with that.
    Anyways, I think Paly is playing you guys this year? I'm helping coach this season so maybe we'll bump into each other at a game. What are you gonna play?
    How's Terrence? Still the league's undisputed beast? I remember playing him mixed my senior year (06) for the pre-season practice match. LOL good times

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

if you gave me a $100 or so to spend on a racquet at badmintonalley, judging from the prices on their website, i'd go for these (in order of preference):

1) yonex - carbonex 30 muscle
    2) carlton - powerblade tour
    3) head - metallix 8000
    4) yonex carbonex 21 or armortec 250.

7. Desser

Desser Regular Member

Well, I tried out my coach's AT800 (Def) before, and it was pretty nice. It's odd how I could smash better than some other rackets with it though. I guess I'll go with the AT250 then, unless some other opposition pops up.

I'm probably going to play doubles, but I'm stuck in JV (for now). Our first three matches are against other schools though, so I don't think we'd be able to meet anytime soon.
    Terrence is still a beast, and it's scary. If only he'd show up for practice...

8. Desser

Desser Regular Member

Bleh, took too long to edit my post.

Dreamzz: Giving my thoughts on the rackets named:
    1. According to the review on badmintonalley, this racket has a tiny sweet spot. My aim is rather off nowadays, so this makes me rather hesitant. I don't think I'm ready for this racket yet.

2. I can't get much info on this racket, but the general opinion seems good. I'll check it out at the shop a bit, I suppose.

3. Total....lack...of...info. Though, one person said that it fits more to a defensive style, one that doesn't fit me very well.

4. I'll fall back on one of these, I guess.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you do go to badminton alley, also take a look at the new NS800 and NS500. NS500 seems on the head heavier side, might fit for your need as well. :rolleyes:

10. masterblaster99

masterblaster99 Regular Member

Hey Desser,

I just ordered an AT500 from Badminton Alley and I'm up in Canada. I was alittle hesitant about ordering on-line as well, but they have an option you can click and they will call you to get your Visa #, so you don't have to give that up on the net. Worked out really well.

11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Yeah, I would sell you my near new AT500 for $105+$5 shipping if this post is not deleted. Also, I have a new NS500 for sale for $45 plus $10 S/H yesterday. The buy/sell post got deleted...

12. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    At500 is a good choice.......:)
    grandmaster,
    what else can i say here??
    :D:D:D:D:D

13. silentheart

Something is better left unsaid...

14. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    true.... true...
    silentheart that is it means......;)
    At500 is still a good reference.

15. silentheart

It is a very good call indeed.
    AT500 is a good performer for the performance/price ratio. If you are at the point of switching racquet and don't know what to get as a offensive racquet, AT500 is safe bet to go.
    Good call master drifit.

16. Desser

Desser Regular Member

Unfortunately, I just got a new racket: one of the aforementioned ones. The offer sounds attracting, but I'm not up for it now. Sorry :(.

17. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    is ok for At250....
    in future, you know who to ask...........:)