Badminton Lessons

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by AznAndrew, Mar 8, 2008.

1. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Hey, i've been playing badminton for a long time now, and i'm thinking about going into lessons so that i can improve myself.

Anyways, i was thinking that if i went in, it would mess me up, since i am so used to my way of playing. So the question is, if i go into lessons, would it mess up my way of playing?

2. THEbaschti

THEbaschti Regular Member

No, I don't think that you can speak of messing up your game by learning the proper technique. There may be a short time of feeling strange using the proper form if you've played your own way till now, but in the long run getting coached is certainly the best solution if you want to improve.

3. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Ooo, gotcha. Alright, thanks for the advice!

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    if you have the oppertunity to go to lessons then deffinetly go to them so that you can learn proper form. alot of the kids i coach have that same mentality "ive been doing it this way and its worked for me" but in reality not using the proper form can only allow you to do so much where as once you have proper form you will be able to go further and learn much more. It will take you time to get use to it and you might feel like its taking a step back with relearning all your techniques if thats the case but in the end it would be worth it and you will see a huge improvement in your game just from learing proper technique.

5. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    that's exactly what training is for isn't it??:D bad habits must go, only then good habits can be learned. Learn and adapt! With determination you can do it!

Think of it this way instead. You might not see but you're 'messed up' now in some sense, and training will gradually make you less messed up...:D:D

#5 DivingBirdie, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  6. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

So how long would you think i would have to get used to the "proper form"?

7. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

It depends on how often you get coached, and also the coach. If you get coached by the 'best' coach around your area, it's quite obvious that you'll improve really quickly if you have the determination to improve also.

8. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    just like jhirata said depends on the coach but more so it depends on you. cause you can have a world champion for a coach but if he doesnt teach you in a way that applies to you or can adapt to help you as well then you wont learn as effectively. But likewise if your not willing as well you have to want to learn and improve and have to be willing to try it and go through the toughness of learning what they have to say have to have that determination.

As for the length of time thats all independent as well on the amount of training that your getting and the serveness of your "bad habbits" if you have any that have to be corrected. but like after a few lessons im sure that you would start to see some improvement in your game for sure and then as time passes you will notice alot more.

9. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    It's so important to have proper form when playing. Regardless of how long one's played, he or she should keep an open mind about improving their own technique. Using myself as an example, I still struggle in properly getting behind the shuttle due to laziness / poor footwork - I need to continue working on footwork exercises and also reinforcing the proper hit timing.

In the past, I didn't properly use body rotation and overexerted my arms during clears - this led to severe arm pain and could have led to serious potential injury. In short, learning proper form can:

o help prevent injury
    o allow for greater deception in one's shots
    o improve consistency and accuracy of shot (once used to it)

10. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Hm. Sounds awesome. Do you think 2 times a week is good enough?

11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Once again, it depends on the person and the determination to improve :rolleyes:.
    Two to three times is good. If you train four time a week, you might be pushing yourself too hard.

My advice for you is to start now. Who cares about how long it takes to improve, because you can start improving now :cool:. I dont literally mean 'now' as in.. 'get off your computer and start training', but i mean 'as soon as possible'.

12. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Oh, i wish i could. The sign ups are in October/November. I don't understand why they don't allow us to join all year long....

13. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

You can still ask some advanced players or coaches to check your basic forehand technique. Most of them wouldn't mind, would they ?

14. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

I don't think so. I'm trying out for the badminton team also tomorrow, and we have 2 coaches, so i'll try them also.

15. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

If you have the will to improve ( by asking them about your form), then there might be a higher chance for you to get into the team. ;) Maybe.

16. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Oh i have a dying will to get on.

I just recently (yesterday actually) went and played with 2 friends of mine for about 2 hours. I won 6 games straight, then i just got tired out...on the plus side, i've just semi-mastered smashes.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you take coaching it's like one step back in the short term but three steps forward in the long term. Also, in the long term, the highest standard you can acheive will be better.

Just remember,
    1) group coaching does not produce the same results (slower improvement) as very small group coaching (2 or 3 persons per coach)

2) say clearly to the coach what your objectives are. If you are satisfied with a little improvement, the coach may only work on consistency rather than form. If you say you want to work on form, tell him that, and he should do more in that area (but takes longer to get results)

18. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

One nice way to improve without spending too much money on coaching is to get individual coaching say once a week, then practice/play a couple more times a week, taking care to practice the skills you learnt. Then after a few lessons, stop for a few weeks and play by yourself, then start the coaching cycle thing again.

The idea here is that skills coaching is often the most effective for the first few lessons, then after that it is much of the same. If you have people you trust observe you (or you think about what you are doing), you should be able to maintain your technique.

eg for things like footwork, once you know how in theory to do it, its up to you to practice it. You dont really need a coach to watch you practice all the time.

19. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Exactly.. AznAndrew, maybe you can search up for Zhao Jianhua's coaching videos and Peter Rasmussen's footwork drill videos. They're all on youtube. They're pretty helpful too.

20. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Oh. gotcha. Thanks for the advice guys.