Team points

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Dreamzz, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

now, don't get me wrong, i'm all in favour of LCW getting as many ranking points as he can, but i seriously think there's a flaw in BWF's team points award system. i realise this has been discussed in the TC qualifying thread, but i thought i'd make it a thread of its own to promote some discussion, in case some of us missed it there.

is it right that LCW (for example), should be awarded 8214 points for playing in a few qualifying matches for MAS against less than impressive opposition?

is it fair that a player could get more points in team events than the runner up of a super series event gets (7800 for those who don't know)?

i believe the current system awards points based on percentages of your own ranking and the ranking of your opponent, but i'm in favour of this calculation being reviewed. i feel it gives players from the nations who automatically qualified, in this case CHN and INA (for both the mens and the ladies), an unfair disadvantage especially in the run up to olympic qualification.

p.s. on a separate point, don't say i never stick up for CHN!! :D

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Solution: no points for team events :cool:.

I wonder if tennis players get points for the Davis, Fed and Hopman Cup?

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

ah, but you can't just have no points, otherwise some players may not be motivated enough to represent their country.

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I'm sure getting chased through the streets by an angry mob will be more than enough motivation ;). In any case I think it's the federations problem, not the BWF's, so either fork over some $$$ or threaten not to enter the players to events :rolleyes:.

5. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

Sometimes team spirit is enough to inspire a player to represent their country :)

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:) Indeed. I don't think it would be too much of a problem to have players play for the national team Other than the top nations most players will be glad to go on a free trip anyway. And who would give up the chance to win a Thomas Cup

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i guess i don't really want to see the thomas cup ending up like the davis cup where the top players don't participate because they'd rather spend their time representing their own financial interests than their country.