Chinese goods highly regarded in the US

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by taneepak, Mar 10, 2008.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It may come as a surprise, but a recent US survey by GFK Roper, a New York market survey company serving consumer goods companies in the US, finds that Americans rate Chinese goods as the second best value in the world, after American goods. Chinese goods rank higher than Japanese, Mexican, and even German goods in terms of value.
    What is more surprising is that in terms of prestige Chinese goods rank higher than Canadian, South Korean and all other developing countries.
    What is even more surprising is that this survey was done during the hue and cry about tainted Chinese goods that American politicians and the American press took delight in running down China. The survey company says that if this is the trend then other countries better watch out as Chinese goods will get even better.

2. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

In term of price yes. Definitely the price is untouchably so low that other countries won't be able to compete on the price but for quality, some of the goods it just not worth. It might do what it suppose to do but then it does not last at all IMHO.

3. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

China's manufacturing industries are going through a growth stage. What is going to make it boom is for a few companies to focus on quality and R&D, the success will follow the leaders that focus on these. More people will demand for their goods compared to the rest and stockist/distributors and suppliers are more willing to support those companies because of good customer experiences with any of their products. I truly believe that with anything it is the customers experience which drive the market, not only solely on price. When that happens, as Borat will say WaWaWiWa.....

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If Chinese goods are so shoddy why are the US, the EU, Japan, Korea and just about every country in the world still buying from China? Consumers say one thing, politicians another.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    just to let u know, china just surpassed canada as US's number one country of imported good by dollars measurement

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm...

...i'll be waiting for CHN's 1st ever automobile to be imported in the U.S....

#6 ctjcad, Mar 10, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  7. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Time to shop for toys...

*in Gallic style* Becoz eet ees cheapper too produce dem in China.

8. ae86trueno

i would not say its so shoddy but it just the quality just not there yet. like i say the price is just way too good to just pass it. in market there are also goods of different quality. for me, there some goods I don't mind buying the lower quality such as clothes that I wear at home but some other stuff, I prefer to spend more for quality. i agree with "Consumers say one thing, politicians another." but then again im not into politics and normally always stay away from politic stuff :)

9. ae86trueno

thanks for let me know, well i sort of know that. just by looking goods in market nowdays there alot of made in China in the market. In my opinion they surpassed because of the sheer amount of quantity of goods they produce.

10. ae86trueno

yes i agree with this. labour cost is cheaper there.

#10 ae86trueno, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Remember, the survey also reveals that Chinese goods have higher prestige, in the eyes of American consumers, than Canadian, South Korean and almost all other developing countries' products.
    FYI, China can produce goods of any quality, provided you are prepared to pay. American consumers always opted for the cheapest whilst the Germans demand the best and pay accordingly.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think the CHN goods win the market, is because of the quality vs. price ratio, but not the price itself.

Many lower end products, ppl never intend to keep them for a long time, or made to be replaced after a short period regardless. Therefore, there's no point to shop for the famous brand. For example, if you are a CEO, you might want to have a well made shiny golden pen in your pocket. However, if you are a high school student, you mostly go for the $1 for a dozen ones. And the reality is, there's more poor students than CEO in the world. :p If I go to a wedding, yes I will dress in a well made suit. If I do cleaning work in my house, I make sure the tshirt and shorts on me are no more than $3. Of course, I do more work at home than going to a wedding party.

So, there we go...

13. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Just wait till the inflation in China pick up. Major electronic firm is starting to ditch Chicna as sorce of cheap labor. Only if Motorola can see that comming...

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Wow..

..so based on that amt, i guess one will only wear an underwear & pair of socks??..i never know we can get tshirt and shorts under $3??..:rolleyes: :confused:;)

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    no, it's because of the sheer amount of quantity of goods US bought from china

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yes, that's the market price. Direct factory price is even lower assuming you can take a full container load (FCL).

17. silentheart

Actually, some of the underwares (or lingeries depend on what you like) cost more to make than the t-shirts on your back...:D:D:D

18. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    If a t-shirt costs $3 US dollars, the factory cost may be just $3 Chinese dollars. It's the companies that import and sell them making the most profit. I have a few friends owning factories in China. They said their profit margin is very low.

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    In NY, you can go to china town, during their street fair or tourist site, the tshirts used to be 7 for $10. Of course, the quality is not that great. Hey, good enough for me to wear running between my to-be-painted house and home depot and pizzaria. :p

20. silentheart

A new house or just remodeling? Are you painting it for the ???????;)