Will the racket break when we use higher tension?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Tealor, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Tealor

Tealor Regular Member

Gov. official
    When I try to string my Yonex nano9k_x with BG66 and 20 lbs, the stringer told me that it's too high, it'll broke my racket, but it's noted on the racket is 19-24 lbs. He said that, my racket can handle it but when I play it'll broke when I play unsafe (catching the floor or the partner's racket)

The stringers recommended about 14-15 lbs and ppl here play about 14-15lbs too :confused:

I need some comments about this, and I want to try the 20+ string tension.:D

2. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    Yonex maximum recommended tension is 24lbs.

3. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Tealor welcome to BC, but before you ask questions try using the search function, as im sure this has already been answered.

In general yonex and most other companies must list a 'safe' stringing guide probably for quality control and liability reduction. Although we will say its 'safe' to string your racket at weights higher than recommended its not what the manufacturer will tell you. Most high end rackets these days can take 27 lbs +- 1lb with out a problem. Its not until 30ish you gotta be concerned with breaks. Also it should be said that any racket hit on the ground or clashed with another racket is subject to destruction and stringing tension doesnt have as much influence as much as swinging force.

If your stringing says 14-15 lbs is max that raises a few issues, mainly inexperience. An experience stringer should know even low end rackets can go to 20+lbs. He could be mistaken and mean kg, and that is much different, but he shouldnt get something that important mixed up. Frankly, if i were you, id search out another stringer that worry about what he will do to your racket. 14-15lbs is for gym class noobs

4. morewood1

morewood1 Regular Member

A genuine Nano9000 can and will take much higher tension than 24lbs, although Yonex only gaurentee you upto 24lbs. If its a fake 9k then who knows what it can and cant withstand. I dont know anyone who plays with a racquet below 20lbs tension (at least not when last strung).

5. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Regular Member

Find another stringer...

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Tealor, I believe you are in Laos. Maybe the stringers and machines there have not moved with the times. Check with a few more stores and stringers in your area. If they all say the same thing then I suggest you follow their advice, because it is possible they string by hand there or they could be using machines never known or seen before.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    14-15 lbs is definitely too low for today's rackets. Any well made rackets from reputable manufacture should take 25lbs or so without any issues. Are you are he was referring lbs, but not kg? 1 Kg is about 2.2 lbs. ;)

8. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    15lbs is too low. Any racket can take 15lbs. Yours is a nanospeed9000. But if its a fake, 20lbs is a very safe tension. I ever strung a fake at 24lbs. Still could hold.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Racquets used to be strung at around 15lbs about 50 years ago. I used to know a former China player, a fellow singles player of the "Thing", who always suggested I use no more than 18lbs, preferably 15lbs. This chap had at one time thrashed the Danish champion Sven Pri 15-2, 15-5 in China with a racquet strung to 15lbs.
    But today racquets are no longer made of wood and almost no one now plays with gut, which requires lower tension because of its huge elasticity.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Actually the better the racquet the easier it is to break. This is due to its extreme stiffness, a property all great racquets share. But stiffness also means brittleness.
    With modern 6-point machines there is almost no risk stringing any modern carbon graphite racquet, be it fake, genuine, or copycat, to very high tension of 30lbs. The danger comes when playing with your partner. The court is the real graveyard of many racquets, not the stringing machine.

11. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Totally agree with you taneepak. :D

12. Tealor

Tealor Regular Member

Gov. official
    Yeah, I agree with everyone. Maybe the problem are the stringers and their machines.

First i think that my racket is fake one, I have checked very careful and my racket is not a fake one for sure.

I think I need to buy a machine !!:crying: (joke :D)

Thank you very much for your advices

13. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

That's for the high-end NS series, but the limit for the high-end AT series is 25lbs.

14. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    NS in 2U is recommended 20-25lbs, and AT in 3U is recommended in 20-25lbs too.

15. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    what will Dinkalot answer to me with this question?

16. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    go get a new stringer~ I did my ns9kx twice @ 30lbs w/o incident~ Others here on the forums have gone even higher with this racquet

17. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    agree..find a more reputable stringer..

18. coley

coley Regular Member

engineer
    defiently find a new stringer, i regularly strung my ns7000 at 28lbs+ and never had a problem, i currently string my at900 at 30lbs and havent yet had any problems

19. Daylightkiller

Daylightkiller Regular Member

Student
    i string my old as-1 at 27 all the times, no proble :D it even killed a few other rackets ahhahha, scary times.... but most new rackets can take much higher tensions, it's just that as tension increases, it's more likely to break, and the consistency of the tension will matter more. i think....

20. zuihoujueding

zuihoujueding Regular Member

yeah. even the stock strings on the crappiest racket are strung at more than 15pounds i guess. lol
    i dont know. maybe the stringer is using a '1point' stringing machine? joking!!!