Dilemma, Novice with MP99 experience

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by kaiju, Mar 11, 2008.

1. kaiju

kaiju Regular Member

English Teacher
    My style of play is 80% single, 20% double. I moved to Hong Kong in September last year and i've been addicted to Badminton ever since. Anyway a friend lent me his MP99 to use and since then forfeited it to me, due to ongoing problems with his playing arm. His arm has now got better, which has led to my predicament... what racket to use?

I bought a Wilson V2 a few weeks ago and love it, but am feeling there is more to give in the world on Yonex. I would say i'm a strong novice with a great understanding of the game and looking to branch into the intermediate category. I have a solid smash which is above the 90% accuracy range, namely due to the MP99.

My favouite manoeuvre is fainting a slice smash from midcourt, which involves jerking my footwork one direction, while dummying the opponent the other way. Lots of left, right, right and right, left, left combo's while hitting across the shuttle.

I also love to use tricky netplay/drops in combination with clears and just generally love to outsmart the opponent. I also enjoy Peter Gade's type of play where it's more about positioning and control, rather than smashing. I learnt alot about my footwork (moving back to the center after every shot, etc) by just watching slo-mo's of him in action and the way he waits for the opponent to make an unforced error and using the smash as a last resort á la Gade vs Hidayat, 2004 English Open Semi's.

I gather the MP99 is a head heavy racket with a much bigger sweet spot, rather than tradtional oval shaped rackets, which I have to say i'm less inclined to try. I would try, but there are no demo shops i know of in HK. The Cab30Muscle looks quite tasty though. The Wilson V2 I know little of, I just liked the feel and went for a "normal" tension. It's quite a stiff racket, so i've learned.

I'm 24 years old and around 6ft, 80kg and have ample muscle to hit powerful baseline shots, but i'm just not experienced or have the know how. For instance, what tension to use (is it really just trial and error?), is it worth paying for another MP99 again given i'm still a novice? I do find it amusing when people on here get flamed for being beginners and wanting the ArcSab's, Nano' and AT's. :p

So yeah, a novice, wanting to learn from experienced players.

Edit: I jumped a few tangents there didn't I, maybe this thread should be moved elsewhere, haha.

#1 kaiju, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    There's no rackets can be defined as beginner racket or advanced racket. All reviews are just based on everyone's own observation and experience. MP99 is hardly to be recommend to a beginner, due to its stiffness. Therefore, it's risky for beginner to purchase, consider the price.

However, seems you are not totally a beginner, plus you've been using MP99 for a while. Therefore, you should rely on the feedback from your hand, rather than other ppl's review. If you truely like MP99, I don't see why you can't use it. Also, cab30ms is a good alternate, if you can get your hands on, definitely take a look.

3. kaiju

kaiju Regular Member

English Teacher
    LazyBuddy man, thanks for the quick and informative response. Much appreciated. :)

Yeah, as you state, these rackets can fetch alot of money and, as i'm still new to the scene, i'm just thinking maybe I should start off with something more atuned to learning how to play, rather than going straight to the more advanced techniques.

I see alot of folks here have started from a very basic racket and moved their way to the pro rackets, as to why they state this should be the way, if not the only way to learn and play Badminton.

I'm not so sure it's the only way to learn though given my experience (IMHO a racket is a racket, if you use a racket enough, you will adapt), but i'm keeping my options open for the moment. :)

MP99 you say, well I don't mind if I do. :cool:

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Start with a cheaper racket is a safe approach, but not the only approach. As long as you know what you are doing, you can go with the choice that yourself feel more comfortable with.

My suggestion is, to demo the rackets that you already have access (i.e. rent / borrow from friends and shops), and then compare them with MP99. If MP99 is still the outstanding choice, that's it. If you find other products have much better performance vs. price ratio, go with it. ;)

5. kaiju

kaiju Regular Member

English Teacher
    Couldn't of said it any better myself and thanks again.

Kudos LazyBuddy. :)

6. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Maybe you can consider the Yonex MusclePower Tour. It's basicly a cheaper version of the MP99, made in Taiwan. I dont think there's a huge difference in performance, since the MP tour is based on the MP99.

7. kaiju

kaiju Regular Member

English Teacher
    Funnily enough I was considering it the day I bought the Wilson V2, but was put off because of the thought of it being a cheap imitiation. Essentially I guess it is that, but by how much, I wouldn't know without testing. I also know there is a MP Limited racket and the difference between the MP Tour, Limited, 99 and 100 is marginal. The weight was probably the only considerable factor.

Anyway, i'll take it into consideration, thanks for the reply, jhirata. :cool:

8. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

No problem, Kaiju. Always a pleasure to help.

The MP Tour might have lower quality, mainly due to the price. The MP Limited and 99 should be like the same though. And the MP100 is a totally different racquet :cool:.

9. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Regular Member

Afaik different materials and technology are used in MP-Tour, while MP-Limited and MP-99 are the same on spec.

10. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Great advice rite there from a pro :p Only thing i would adjust is not to look for "cheap" rackets, but one that you could use comfortably but also not too attached that you mite give it up. Hardly anyone uses their 'learning' or 'beginning' racket through the years as their go to match racket. Also I dont recommend getting a racket that you think will 'grow into' as sometimes that never happens. Get something that matches your playing style and work that bad boy til it breaks. Or you out grow it, which ever comes first.

Off the top of my head id just give your racket a good singles review, being head heavy and stiff shaft, so maybe sotx woven 7, ti10 (some are rare) Yonex AT series, and many of the mp line will be alright.

11. kaiju

kaiju Regular Member

English Teacher
    Sound advice illusionistpro, I am torn between the head heavy AT's and MP's at this point in time. The MP Limited looks a good deal for the price, but I would love to be able to try the AT700.

12. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

the mp limited is indeed the same as the mp99 cept minor paint differences. and the MP99 is gooooood :D

13. kubuk

kubuk Regular Member

Student
    Yeah. Good luck on getting your skills better and better.
    I myself started playing badminton when I was 4 or 5 years old using my dad's carbonex (can't remember what model. very old. got it stolen).

I am 16 this year and yeah.. I plan to get a high end racket (either AT700 or AT900T) this year. If you are going to play in a comp like me, I suggest you to buy at least 3 of the same rackets. I am currently using AT500. So... yeah. If I am not mistaken, MP99 is one of the stiffest racket out there. Suitable for you?

My coach is actually against my decision of buying an AT500 at the beginning by being afraid that I might actually break the frame before I start using it properly. Oh heck, I have been using that racket for a few years now. I have 3 of them currently.

All the best to you.

14. aerotus70

aerotus70 Regular Member

get the mp99 if you like it, no need to spend $ again to buy another 1

your friend mp99 is strung at what tension? if you feel its too bouncy then add 2-3 pounds to your own mp99 string, if you find you cannot hit far or your shots are inaccurate feel its too hard when contact with shuttle then minus 1-2 pounds

15. kaiju

kaiju Regular Member

English Teacher
    I just checked my friends MP99 and it uses the BG65 Ti @ 22lbs

My Wilson V2 was strung with the BG65 @ 24lbs.

The difference is very apparent in the head; the MP99 being far more head heavy than the V2 and the BG65 Ti having more of the trampoline effect I like, without losing too much durability.

I know now, I should've stuck with 22lbs, rather than ask for 22lbs.

The strength due to the durability of the BG65 string and the bounce due to the 24lbs tension make it so i'm unable to feel and guide the shuttle where I want due to being inexperienced with a tighter tension. Oh, how I want to simply cushion the shuttle over the net again, rather than bounce it off, haha. Good for easier drops, but not neccesarily more accurate.

I may just try BG65 Ti @ 22lbs first, but after wielding the MP99 again tonight, I really don't like having a lighter head than the MP99. Using the MP99 was a pleasure, the Wilson seems like a choire the more I use it. :D

#15 kaiju, Mar 14, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  16. kaiju

kaiju Regular Member

English Teacher
    "I know now, I should've stuck with 22lbs, rather than ask for 22lbs."

I mean, rather than ask for 24lbs.

17. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yup, i think if you've used the 99 and like the way you play with it, then get one. you can't really go wrong with it. also, why fix something that ain't broke?

18. kaiju

kaiju Regular Member

English Teacher
    That is true, Dreamzz. :)

I am starting to like the MP100 2U I see in the shops today too. On doing a lil' research, alot of people seem to like that alongside the AT900P for smashing.

We are spoilt for choice. :D

19. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

are you saying you like it based on cosmetic looks only?
    that's a dangerous game, son, hahaha, one which i'm unfortunately addicted to at the moment.
    maybe less dangerous, more expensive ... :p

20. kaiju

kaiju Regular Member

English Teacher
    I don't know how you came up with that conclusion, haha, but yes, cosmetics always plays some part. If I like the look of a racket, i'll enjoy using it more. Simple. I'd rather have a racket with the same attributes and price that looks good, than a racket that doesn't look good.

The Wilson V2 I have is black, grey and white; so naturally I got some black strings and overgrip. :p

The MP100 is red, so i'll no doubt get the red BG65Ti strings and perhaps a red overgrip... IF, of course I do choose the MP100.