Less power after restringing

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by gingerphil79, Mar 11, 2008.

1. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Maybe its just me but i just gt my racket restrung. Its a nami blade 8000 racket, exact same as yonex nano 8000.

Got the BG65 titanium at 24" he told me, i dont know what the old tension was.

I ave been playing with it twice now & have found that i ave much more control round the net, which i love but I have 2 put in so much more effort into the clear & smashes for the same power.

If i get an awkward clear, which normally i could get close 2 the back line, nt now, its goin half court or i misshit it. What should i do?

Should i tighten the tension, get a looser tension or just keep playin with it. My arm has felt bit tired over past week or 2, mayb dats the prob, i dnt no. Any thoughts?:crying:

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Seems the string tension is too high for you. Bg65Ti is known as the stiffing feeling, and your racket (clone of NS8k) is head light. A combo of high tension + head light balance usually result in your muscule fatigue, especially you just switched to such combo.

My suggestion is to either re-string it with lower tension (i.e. 2 lbs less) or put away the racket for a week or two to let the string slowly getting loose by itself. With the lower tension, you should have an easier time to adjust to the new string. ;)

3. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Just continue using it and get used to it. I've experienced the same thing when I jumped from 21lbs to 24lbs. Your technique will improve. If you continue using this 'non-powerful' string tension, you might notice some pain in your shoulder. But this pain lead me to use my wrist more, and my swing was more efficient. Once I got used to it.. I not only had control, but also the power.

4. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Well, i would suggest that u hit the stringbed on your knee to soften the tension. You are experiencing too high a tension for you to control.

5. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    Thanks for the advice guys but funny enough i was playin wit it last nite & was hitting the shuttle reali well sometimes 2 much power. Fair enough the hall was warm but i just felt my strokes were more efficient. Mayb i was just havin a bad day the last time. If i stil find it is not rite, i will lower the tension.
    Thanxs :D:)

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It takes time for the string bed to "settle" (getting a bit looser), and it takes time to adjust to the new combo. Now, you can enjoy it. ;)

7. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    Yea, I seem to have more power now & more control with the net, its great. Maybe its the string, maybes it me but whateva it is I'm much happier :D.

Its making my arm a bit achey, so Im goin 2 rest a few days & play again. Arms prob just gettin used 2 it.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    If the new tension is higher than your usual one, it's more likely your timing is wrong for that tension. Try to focus on timing the stroke instead of powering through the shot. Just relax and do multiple practice clears. The clears would help alot in this case. BG65 is known to lose tension fairly quick so it'll loosen up within a week or two.

9. VinhT

VinhT Regular Member

Student
    this happened to me too where i lost so much power in my clears and smashes it took like a pregame rally but i was able to manage -.- i bought my racket last week and switched from factory string which was probably 20lbs all the way up to 28lbs with BG-65ti . my control and technique improved a lot but still :( hoping itll snap by tomorrow so i can restring. also consistency was eh.. kept hitting the same spot and strings are down to their last strand but it was quite an experiment for 4 days :D