Very Weird Stringing Jobs

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ray_mond, Mar 11, 2008.

1. ray_mond

ray_mond Regular Member

Recently, I've gotten my Ti 7 restrung at a local badminton club in Toronto (Mandarin) and I asked for Bg68ti @ 23 pounds. When I received the racket back about 7 days later, the strings felt like they were 25+lbs. I am comparing this to my last stringing job that was done with the same string and tension.

My last strings were done at Yo's Sports in First Markham Place in Toronto. They were very well tensioned and I felt that my power was very good. The current strings that I have, I cant say the same yet. I am still getting used to the much higher tension. Would it have been a mess up between the stringing tension? As of right now, I am going through the learning curve of playing with my new strings again. I am worried that if I return to the same stringing and ask for 23lbs, I will receive something else.

Is there a way to check the tension, such as pressing on it?

Another racket of my friend's which was strung, AT900, was done by a fellow student. When the racket was returned, there was a clear, wax like material all over the strings, grommets, and side of the racket. It seemed like wax, and there was clumps of it all over the strings everywhere, and also fully clogged up the grommets. The string was bg68. Any idea what this foreign material is? The job was done pretty bad from what I saw, based on that most of the cross and mains werent tensioned very well, and that barely any of the strings were straight.

Does anyone know if strings have a tendency to break faster in the winter? I've heard of a rumour saying because of the constant expanding of the string from the warm heat in gyms and the cold from the outside then constant hitting will cause strings to become brittle. Can anyone verify this?

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Doesn't Yo's Sport have a TF electronic machine? If you like Yo's string job, stick with them.

Wax all the frame and string? That sounds very nasty.

Unfortunately, only tennis has the stringbed stiffness device.

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Was is not necessary on synthetic strings, this is more applicable to gut strings.

The way to check tension to tap the strings with the palm of the hand and be able to reconize the note it makes. Once you know the note, you can associate what tension with the note. For us that know music, it's straightforward.

4. ray_mond

ray_mond Regular Member

Ok thanks for your help everyone. I guess I'll try to stick with one prefered stringer. The strings definitely feel much tighter though.

5. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

it could also be the difference between a constant pull machine (drop weight and good electronic machines) versus a crank/lockout. ask your stringer his setup and note it so that you can start a history or memory of what youve had done.