User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Odd habits people develop

I'm watching the XD finals for the All England SS, and Gao Ling seems to have the habit of rubbing her racket handle/grip against her shirt before she serves or receives.

I have heard of people who rub the shuttle against their strings before serving, but not much else.

Perhaps people would like to share their observation of why people found such gestures, and what they've witnessed in their own games with others, professionals, etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You sure it's not because she wants to dry up sweat from her grip? Sounds pretty normal to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, because she does it almost every time. I dont think it would be necessary to dry up sweat from a grip. I don't see how that would work. You'd think it'd be absorbed into the grip already. Also, it's not really the portion of the handle where she grips, anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP1Y3...eature=related at 5:00 is a close-up of this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw that portion, I still think that it's plausible that she did it to remove sweat from her grip. In doubles, you shift position along the grip all the time depending on your court position. Also if one has more sweat glands on the hands and arms, grips won't absorb all the sweat. In addition, the more popular polyurethane grips don't absorb as much sweat as cloth ones.

It could also be a force of habit or good luck routine, but mainly I see the functionality of her gesture to remove excess sweat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed Gale Emms has a wierd habit whilst she waits for Nathan to serve, she brings her racket up repeatedly as if waiting for the serve, only to be kept waiting further.... if that makes sense, and she looks round at nathan 3 times before he finally serves. I watched her over the weekend and she does it everytime.

Tell you some annoying habits that really get me angry, at one of my local clubs, the older members have some interesting tricks. One guy will pick the shuttle up off the floor walk towards the T, and serve without looking up once to see where people are or if they are ready, countless time I have had my back to the net when he serves, also nine times out of ten, its an illegal serve too.....
    Also, another guy from the same club, waits till you are ready, then stops, asks the score, and just as you have answered he serves, normally before you have had time to reset yourself.

Funny the things people do to win.......
    Last edited by Term`; 03-12-2008 at 08:23 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsumaranai View Post
    I'm watching the XD finals for the All England SS, and Gao Ling seems to have the habit of rubbing her racket handle/grip against her shirt before she serves or receives.

I have heard of people who rub the shuttle against their strings before serving, but not much else.

Perhaps people would like to share their observation of why people found such gestures, and what they've witnessed in their own games with others, professionals, etc.
    GL is signaling her partner, whether is low or high serve to opponent.
    rubbing shuttle to string, roughen the cork, better grip to string, better slice control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ever seen Sigit get ready to receive serve?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're not ready when the opponents serve just stand still and don't move towards the shuttle. Then just say you weren't ready and you start the serve over.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Term` View Post
    I've noticed Gale Emms has a wierd habit whilst she waits for Nathan to serve, she brings her racket up repeatedly as if waiting for the serve, only to be kept waiting further.... if that makes sense, and she looks round at nathan 3 times before he finally serves. I watched her over the weekend and she does it everytime.

Tell you some annoying habits that really get me angry, at one of my local clubs, the older members have some interesting tricks. One guy will pick the shuttle up off the floor walk towards the T, and serve without looking up once to see where people are or if they are ready, countless time I have had my back to the net when he serves, also nine times out of ten, its an illegal serve too.....
    Also, another guy from the same club, waits till you are ready, then stops, asks the score, and just as you have answered he serves, normally before you have had time to reset yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gustaff View Post
    If you're not ready when the opponents serve just stand still and don't move towards the shuttle. Then just say you weren't ready and you start the serve over.

Regards
    Yeh, I did that to start with, but they look at me like I'm a moron. Then claim they won the point. Its even got to the point now where they get quite nasty about it. Its just old men who's bad habits die hard, doing what they can to try win a point imho.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Athelete1234 View Post
    WHat did he do??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smichz View Post
    WHat did he do??
    If I remember correctly he used to move his racket a large amount slowly with a very loose grip in a direction perpendicular to the direction of the shuttle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smichz View Post
    WHat did he do??
    Check it out sometime when he's receiving serve
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV7-zBB-MHA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok..i got it..hehe..but is it really odd?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post
    GL is signaling her partner, whether is low or high serve to opponent.
    rubbing shuttle to string, roughen the cork, better grip to string, better slice control.
    Do you know that for a fact? She does it before she or Zheng Bo receives, too. She holds her hand up to signal the opposing team to wait for a second while she does it. I don't think it has to do with sweating, nor do I believe she has a tendency to sweat that much. However, I had indeed thought that it might be for luck, or something of that nature.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hah! That's actually cheating rather than an odd/lucky routine. We got quite a few folks doing that in our club, incidentally most of them are older folks. Usually I would tell them to re-serve the point again... not 'ask' as they're clearly in the wrong. I think one way of deterrent for that type of behaviour is to make a big deal out of it on the spot. These guys like to sneak a few points by relying on our courtesy and sportsmanship, making a big deal out of it would embarass them into stopping this nonsense.

Last edited by cappy75; 03-13-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Er... that's not quirky behaviour though. The guy is downright intimidating shaking his racquet.

Quote Originally Posted by Athelete1234 View Post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had one guy who did that to me, he kept asking us for the score and then serve when we try to answer... funny how he has to pick the moment to serve to ask for points. Well, he stopped that sh*i*t after I tapped his serve to his face while replying 'I don't know'.

Yeh, I did that to start with, but they look at me like I'm a moron. Then claim they won the point. Its even got to the point now where they get quite nasty about it. Its just old men who's bad habits die hard, doing what they can to try win a point imho.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast