Clear

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by zamnabe, Mar 12, 2008.

1. zamnabe

zamnabe Regular Member

Student
    [​IMG]
    I often do my clear wrong. I'm not getting behind the shuttle so i have to bend me whole body and my left feet doesn't stay at the ground. I know i can solve the problem by getting fast behind the shuttle so i have time to do the right movement. Do you have tips to correct my clear ?

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Get behind the shuttle, as you've said yourself, and position for recovery, or make sure your momentum is going forward.

Here, from the pic, you're going to land with a backward momentum, and the returning drop shot is going to kill your morale and lower back.

-dave

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

It all starts with the feet. If they're out of place, everything else has to compensate for that.

One thing I'd like to point out is that it isn't simply a matter of getting your feet back there, but rather that you have to be able to stop your momentum. For example, let's say you push back extra fast in order to get behind the shuttle. If you move faster, the harder it is to get stable before making your shot, even if your feet are in the "right place."

So, one thing to do would be the practise the footwork, and then stopping instantly before hitting the shot. As you get better at it, push back faster until you can stop yourself when moving quickly.

4. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

From the pic, you won't clear far at all because your elbow should be much more higher, at least eye height.

5. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

it not ur clear that has the problem, it's ur footwork. fix ur footwork and everything will be in places.

6. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Right... try to clear with the elbow at chest height and see how far it goes compared with a high elbow... :rolleyes:

7. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

It shouldn't be a problem to get behind the shuttle from CLEAR to CLEAR as your base will be slightly further back plus you have more time to react due to flight time of shuttle.
    Its obviously harder to get back to the baseline if your opponent lifted from the forecourt area.

I'll presume that the mechanics of your throwing technique are sound so we'll concentrate on footwork and body rotation.

1) Learn how to jump turn using the rear corner box using the 1,2,3,4 technique.
    2) Learn how to travel to contact area
    3) Learn how to travel to contact area and jump turn

I get all beginners to practice the jump turn even if they cant hit the shuttle. You can do it while throwing the shuttle.
    The rear corner box is usefull here in that in gives you a clear visual guide as to how you're doing. I picked it up from a Korean Training video.

1) Stand feet side by side facing net on front line of box. No.1 is place racquet foot back onto baseline, prepare to throw. Weight over racquet foot.
    2) Jump up from racquet foot, pivot in air, so non racquet foot lands on baseline slightly before
    3) racquet foot lands on front line
    4) will see you bac at the start with feet shoulder width apart and body facing net.
    Call the numbers in your head as you do it. 1,2,3,4.

The contact with the shuttle will be between 1 & 2, ie you will be in the air as you hit, land on number 2.

4) As 3, but with recovery to base.

8. IOUZIP

IOUZIP Regular Member

Student
    Running forward is always easier than running back. If you find that the clears are really affecting your gameplay, try positioning yourself farther back in the court. Chances are, your opponent will be clearing most of the time as opposed to dropping. Most smashes tend to land near the mid-back court as well.