I need help with an injury

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by kubuk, Mar 14, 2008.

1. kubuk

kubuk Regular Member

Student
    As you guys see, I have a friend with a shoulder injury. I insisted her to go for checkup with a doctor since she complaint that is has been painful for over 2 months already. So should be a joint problem instead of a muscle problem right? She said she can't clear properly or even smash without difficulties because of the pain. As she described.. no swelling though.

I broke into a fight with her last night just by advising her to stop playing for awhile. What do you guys think? Is it possible for tendon to snap off completely? What injury do you think it is and what should I do?

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    that one must be your gf...........:)
    dont fight, no need to quarrel.
    first of all, you need to cure her stubbornness.
    then, go to nearest clinic or hospital.
    do you think posting here will cure her?
    even we need go to clinic for the doctor to check-up.
    i wonder that i can just sms to dr for medicine prescription...........:rolleyes:

3. kubuk

kubuk Regular Member

Student
    I mean. I wanna know if problems with tendons have symptoms of bruising and stuff.
    Any common injuries related to shoulders?

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    1) it could be what you say it is

2) Going to a doctor may not necessarily get the diagnosis right

3) The doctor may say rest the shoulder, which your friend doesn't want to do

4) You cannot 'force' anybody to see a doctor. You need their consent, even if you think you know better

5) You can give advice - wether they take you advice is another matter

6) Don't say "I told you so" if you have more than a platonic relationship with this person! That would be a recipe for disaster.

7) Have you explored the reasons for not seeing a doctor? Respect those reasons, no matter how illogical they are.

Lastly, trust me - I'm a doctor;) haha

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The shoulder is a complex joint -- the most mobile joint in the body -- and is subject to a wide variety of injuries. Badminton smashes and clears are violent overhead throwing motions and they can cause many of these injuries.

Tendons may become abraded (like old rope), torn, or even completely snapped. This may be connected to tendon impingement, where the tendon is pressed tight against the bone (not enough space in the cavity of the shoulder, the acromium).

Cartilage may also be torn or become detached (that's what happened to me). Postural problems, which may be connected to a muscular imbalance, can cause the the shoulder to be placed in a bad position, such that it pulls heavily on the cartilage. If the ball of the shoulder is too far forwards (again, postural), then the space in the acromium is reduced and the shoulder cannot move as smoothly; the chances of tendon impingement are increased.

There's a lot that can go wrong with the shoulder, and you really need to pursue a definitive diagnosis. This may take some time; you may need to go through several stages of rehabilitation.

For some shoulder conditions, the only effective treatment is surgery.

7. kubuk

kubuk Regular Member

Student
    Thanks alot for all the replies.
    So a shoulder problem should not be taken lightly eh? Thanks.

8. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

There are people who have much bigger medical problems, and they don't want to get help. So what... You shouldn't try to convince people to seek help if they don't want to. After all, you've given all the help you could. It's their choice, and can make their own conscious decisions.