My proposal - OG participants selection changes

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by LazyBuddy, Mar 14, 2008.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok, since almost every single "professional players" or "tournament" threads more or less touch this topic, I don't want this one to be locked. :p I am just trying to lay out my proposed change for the OG participants selection process. I hope my proposal can satisfy both sides (let more nations to participate, and also not to over punish the power houses).

The key in my proposal is "wild card". Let's say, give 2 to 4 wild cards to players who fell into the categories of "left out gems". Therefore, give an extra "qualification round" to let the wild cards against the current lowest ranked ones in the main draw (official participants). Then, the winner goes into the main draw, and re-do the main draw based on the ranks of the "updated" main draw.

Ok, sounds like a bit tough for 2 reason?

1. Usually, the so-call formal official participants will lose - Fine, but they did participant in OG, right? Do they see a difference between losing to say rank #10 players, to rank#1 player? No, I don't think so. No offense to them, but the outcome to get earlier exist is the same.

2. Additional management work - well, hope the additonal 2-4 games will not be a killing factor. And I am pretty sure 99% what the outcome going to be, so, the main draw is likely done way before the game start. Hey, even re do the draw for 2-4 spots, don't take that long, right?

Who should get the 2-4 wild cards? I will say to the "left out" talents of the power houses (not necessary CHN). Personally, if the arguement is purely focus on "let more ppl to participate", I consider my proposal as a win-win. It not only still let the #50-100 players get a chance to play, it also NOT going to take the cost of AE/WC champions or runner ups.

I am still trying to think how many wild cards we should give? Personally, I am leaning toward no more than 2. And the 2 only applies for players/pairs rank #16 or higher, but being left out due to the limited entries. If some how more than 3 players qualify for such, let the rank to determine :rolleyes:

#1 LazyBuddy, Mar 14, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Interesting thought..

...in other words, the more the merrier?..;)

I would say, let's put forth BWF's/IBF's argument/reasoning for limiting the no. of entries per country for the Olympics. And if this rule has been in effect since badminton's inception, in the OG, in 1992?..

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Proposal #2

This one is simpler:

1. Top 32, base on rankings, no limit per nation

2. If any of top 32 can't participate (i.e. injury, personal reason, etc), the "sub" entries will be awarded to the highest ranking players whose nation has no previous entries.

3. In additional, form an "qualificaiton" round with another 4-8 wild cards, and the selection follows the same as the "sub".

4. The winners of the qualifications will paired to the main draws, and the fun begin.

Overall, both proposal serve the purpose to maintain enough participations from nations as well as maintenane the quality of game to let more skillful players to play.

4. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    lol this may sound stupid but i think we should either change the limit to like 4 per country, and expand the draw or set up qualification draws for the lower ranked players...and therefore, it allows almost everyone to qualify from their country...or cap it at 1 per country, BEST of the Best, afterall, isn't that what the olympics is about? Best nation wins? this way, there's no fus, you've gotta be tops in your country...by the way, does anyone know how many nations participate in the OGs anyways?

5. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    I would suggest at least 128 entries per main round per category plus 2-4 qualifying rounds prior the main round so that more players from more countries can participate, a very big happy badminton party for all.

6. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Why not simply do a 64 players draw(/w 3 entries at least for the top nations) instead of 32 then OG will become a very competitive ground and to give the most prestige title.