User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 35 to 51 of 106
  1. #35
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ye333 View Post
    The incentive is always there... Until China secure the Gold. In particular note that it's not possible for China to fill all 4 spots in SF.

    Just recall what happened in WS in both 00 and 04 OGs.
    go complain to the IOC for fixing the OG qualifying entries.

    chen yu will likely not play in the OG because of 3 maximum rule.
    chun yu is a dark horse candidate, has nothing to lose if he get to play.
    he has no pressure, no expectation. He can do serious damage to his highly pressured opponents.He can serve china by wiping out one or more of TH, LHI, PG, soni, etc No need for LYB to fix anything. LCW will have to face CJ, and/or BCL and/or LD.
    Last edited by cooler; 03-17-2008 at 03:22 PM.

  2. #36
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ??? Why should I complain?

    In fact I would like to propose a quota of 1 player/pair per event for each country. We can compare with other sports. Can US send 5 teams to the basketball event? No. Can Brazil send 2 teams to the Soccer event? Again, no. Since OG is a country-based (more accurately, association-based) event, it should be reasonable to let every country be represented by its strongest player.

    With the above quota, there is simply no reason to do match fixing, before OG or in OG.

    Unfortunately, badminton needs OG to promote this sport and there is no way my idea will be implemented.

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    go complain to the IOC for fixing the OG qualifying entries.

    chen yu will likely not play in the OG because of 3 maximum rule.
    chun yu is a dark horse candidate, has nothing to lose if he get to play.
    he has no pressure, no expectation. He can do serious damage to his highly pressured opponents.He can serve china by wiping out one or more of TH, LHI, PG, soni, etc No need for LYB to fix anything. LCW will have to face CJ, and/or BCL and/or LD.

  3. #37
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ye333 View Post
    ??? Why should I complain?

    In fact I would like to propose a quota of 1 player/pair per event for each country. We can compare with other sports. Can US send 5 teams to the basketball event? No. Can Brazil send 2 teams to the Soccer event? Again, no. Since OG is a country-based (more accurately, association-based) event, it should be reasonable to let every country be represented by its strongest player.

    With the above quota, there is simply no reason to do match fixing, before OG or in OG.

    Unfortunately, badminton needs OG to promote this sport and there is no way my idea will be implemented.
    Oh.. you're worst than IOC, u want to fix the OG even more LOL

  4. #38
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    OG is over hyped but i can't stop that.
    On a technical merit, an Open type tournament in neutral countries is the best measure of who are the best. ex AE, SWISS, FRENCH OPENS.

    TH has no titles from these opens,
    LCW has one (french)
    LD, well, has many...(with spare to donates to his countrymen as well)

    TH has OG, WC and AG titles. Why? coz these games followed fix format
    Last edited by cooler; 03-17-2008 at 03:40 PM.

  5. #39
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I want badminton to be treated the same as those "big" sports -- soccer, basketball, ...

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    Oh.. you're worst than IOC, u want to fix the OG even more LOL

  6. #40
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have to say this is nonsense.

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    TH has OG, WC and AG titles. Why? coz these games followed fix format

  7. #41
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ms142 View Post
    http://badmintoncn.com/News/c/200803...315091407.html

    For those who don't read Chinese, the article indicates that a) Many fans in China are complaining about LYB's match-fixing practices (in AE and possibly Swiss open), and b) LYB has openly admitted to match-fixing in the past, but felt that it can't be helped due to the priorities in China. The article, which supposedly comes from a Chinese newspaper, is quite critical of this.

    I don't mean to provoke more debates on this; I'm just pleased that there is media pressure in China for change.
    At least as far as I know, ever since 2000, there was such voice.

  8. #42
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ye333 View Post
    I want badminton to be treated the same as those "big" sports -- soccer, basketball, ...
    Then badminton is going to have to ACT like the 'major' sports where match fixing is strictly illegal. This doesn't mean that it doesn't happen in the 'major' sports but when it has been detected is has been dealt with fairly severly.

    I also see alot of critisism of LYB and people referring to him as 'evil'. This is nonsense LYB is a 'straw man' in this whole match fixing debate. The root of problem rest with the Chinese (AND I MEAN THE NATION OF CHINA) federation.

  9. #43
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think I misunderstood. I apologize.

    Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    Then badminton is going to have to ACT like the 'major' sports where match fixing is strictly illegal. This doesn't mean that it doesn't happen in the 'major' sports but when it has been detected is has been dealt with fairly severly.

    I also see alot of critisism of LYB and people referring to him as 'evil'. This is nonsense LYB is a 'straw man' in this whole match fixing debate. The root of problem rest with the Chinese (AND I MEAN THE NATION OF CHINA) federation.
    Last edited by ye333; 03-17-2008 at 05:00 PM.

  10. #44
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ye333 View Post
    I think I misunderstood. I apologize.
    I'm a little confused. I don't think there is any misunderstanding and you certainly don't need to apologize for anything. You are spot on about wanting badminton to be treated like the 'big' sports and it's something we all should want. However, inorder to grow into a major sport olympic badminton should model itself on something closer to Tennis than Professional Wrestling.

  11. #45
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    Then badminton is going to have to ACT like the 'major' sports where match fixing is strictly illegal. This doesn't mean that it doesn't happen in the 'major' sports but when it has been detected is has been dealt with fairly severly.

    I also see alot of critisism of LYB and people referring to him as 'evil'. This is nonsense LYB is a 'straw man' in this whole match fixing debate. The root of problem rest with the Chinese (AND I MEAN THE NATION OF CHINA) federation.
    i beg to correct u.
    The root of problem rest with the BW federation.

    To borrow words from a wise man
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Whether we like it or not, sponsors and their rules are here to stay. If at all, you should be petitioning other manufacturers to come forth
    Whether we like it or not, dominating countries and their fixing are here to stay. If at all, you should be petitioning BWF to come forth
    Last edited by cooler; 03-17-2008 at 05:28 PM.

  12. #46
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    i beg to correct u.
    The root of problem rest with the BW federation.

    To borrow words from a wise man


    Whether we like it or not, dominating countries and their fixing are here to stay. If at all, you should be petitioning BWF to come forth
    You are quoting Old hand totally out of context. In fact, I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make by quoting him. As for the BWF they are the problem with badminton. Witness their recent ruling where they blamed the Korean Federation (Properly) for being the root of the 'Lin Dan' incident while refusing to level any punishment on Lin Dan for throwing his racquet. This sends a warped message that if a player feels sufficiently aggrieved during a tournament violence is an acceptable outlet. That is just warped.

    Your assumption that only 'dominant countries' can engage in match fixing is also faulty. ANY team with multiple entrants in an event can fix matches. As I've already stated, in 'real sports' match fixing is against the rules and is dealt with harshly. Let's see them try their match fixing stunt during the Olympics games!


    As for your assertion that dominant countries and their fixing being 'here to stay' then Badminton should be prepared to remain as a minor sport on the world stage.

  13. #47
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    You are quoting Old hand totally out of context. In fact, I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make by quoting him. As for the BWF they are the problem with badminton. Witness their recent ruling where they blamed the Korean Federation (Properly) for being the root of the 'Lin Dan' incident while refusing to level any punishment on Lin Dan for throwing his racquet. This sends a warped message that if a player feels sufficiently aggrieved during a tournament violence is an acceptable outlet. That is just warped.

    lets fix the big problem first, quality line judging, better refereeing and umpiring.

    Your assumption that only 'dominant countries' can engage in match fixing is also faulty. ANY team with multiple entrants in an event can fix matches. As I've already stated, in 'real sports' match fixing is against the rules and is dealt with harshly. Let's see them try their match fixing stunt during the Olympics games!

    i replied to loopy on this already that there is low chance of match fixing in the OG
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...1&postcount=33


    As for your assertion that dominant countries and their fixing being 'here to stay' then Badminton should be prepared to remain as a minor sport on the world stage.

    i heard WWF is quite popular, more popular(in term of sponsorship and media coverage) than badminton
    ..........................
    Last edited by cooler; 03-17-2008 at 05:50 PM.

  14. #48
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally Posted by Polar Bear
    You are quoting Old hand totally out of context. In fact, I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make by quoting him. As for the BWF they are the problem with badminton. Witness their recent ruling where they blamed the Korean Federation (Properly) for being the root of the 'Lin Dan' incident while refusing to level any punishment on Lin Dan for throwing his racquet. This sends a warped message that if a player feels sufficiently aggrieved during a tournament violence is an acceptable outlet. That is just warped.

    lets fix the big problem first, quality line judging, better refereeing and umpiring.

    If your not going to address the match fixing, what is the point of bothering with the line judging and the officiating? If the goal is fairplay, then fixing the quality of the officiating is going to do nothing to that end. In fact without addressing match fixing, biased officiating in events outside of China is one way to counter balance match fixing. Also, your assertion that officiating is the bigger problem is faulty. Both issues fall under the larger umbrella of cheating which seems to be rampant in badminton.


    Your assumption that only 'dominant countries' can engage in match fixing is also faulty. ANY team with multiple entrants in an event can fix matches. As I've already stated, in 'real sports' match fixing is against the rules and is dealt with harshly. Let's see them try their match fixing stunt during the Olympics games!

    i replied to loopy on this already that there is low chance of match fixing in the OG
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...1&postcount=33

    Well first off the spectre of match fixing in the OG was not central to the argument I made. Secondly there is no reason for them to do it.


    As for your assertion that dominant countries and their fixing being 'here to stay' then Badminton should be prepared to remain as a minor sport on the world stage.

    i heard WWF is quite popular, more popular than badminton

    Yeah so is porn. Let me know when you want to have a discussion about badminton in the context of it being a real sport.

  15. #49
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oh. I posted a reply requiring you to be banned (at that time I thought you are accusing China the nation), but then I read your post again and realized I misunderstood. I apologize in case you saw my previous reply (which has been deleted).

    Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    I'm a little confused. I don't think there is any misunderstanding and you certainly don't need to apologize for anything. You are spot on about wanting badminton to be treated like the 'big' sports and it's something we all should want. However, inorder to grow into a major sport olympic badminton should model itself on something closer to Tennis than Professional Wrestling.

  16. #50
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    n/a
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    All you can say is this is BWF problem to dealt with. This attitude is very common, everybody like to push it to somebody to solve the problem or even pray that it may solve by itself when time comes.
    Stop say that unless you are contributing to do something to change and help BWF !
    How ?, here if I can suggest :
    -Any WO by players which are obvious just like we have seen and if you are convince, we can all walk out during the player next match (the one who got a WO).
    -Any Game which are played in suspicious manner between two players, if you think it has been fixed. Walkout, don't wait what other think.

    If you show that we are not here to play along with what we are not endorsing and show that we are disgusted, sponsor will take notice straight away and we are helping BWF directly.

  17. #51
    Regular Member phaarix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nelson, Aotearoa (NZ)
    Posts
    2,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..actually it's all an "act", none real, yet they make it seems so real. All shows have been "fixed", pre-planned and pre-arranged. And, in spite of it all, people are still watching and shelling out monies to watch them without any complaints.
    Yeah heh, I meant "some" in badminton's case. I was comparing just those "some" matches to wrestling .

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    OG is over hyped but i can't stop that.
    On a technical merit, an Open type tournament in neutral countries is the best measure of who are the best. ex AE, SWISS, FRENCH OPENS.

    TH has no titles from these opens,
    LCW has one (french)
    LD, well, has many...(with spare to donates to his countrymen as well)

    TH has OG, WC and AG titles. Why? coz these games followed fix format
    *sigh*.......... >_>
    Last edited by phaarix; 03-18-2008 at 12:19 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Interesting article about the evolution of grip
    By stumblingfeet in forum General Forum
    Replies: 1
    : 07-20-2007, 03:14 PM
  2. Some rather interesting info on Cab 20's? If only I could read Chinese!
    By Whoopty in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 0
    : 01-12-2007, 11:44 AM
  3. Interesting article
    By paulchow in forum Canada West
    Replies: 0
    : 04-09-2006, 10:38 PM
  4. Interesting statistics for people understand chinese
    By manabu in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 0
    : 08-03-2004, 03:52 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    : 01-12-2003, 01:22 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •