Interesting Chinese media article

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2008' started by ms142, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ms142

ms142 Regular Member

http://badmintoncn.com/News/c/200803/20080315091407.html

For those who don't read Chinese, the article indicates that a) Many fans in China are complaining about LYB's match-fixing practices (in AE and possibly Swiss open), and b) LYB has openly admitted to match-fixing in the past, but felt that it can't be helped due to the priorities in China. The article, which supposedly comes from a Chinese newspaper, is quite critical of this.

I don't mean to provoke more debates on this; I'm just pleased that there is media pressure in China for change.

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I have read that yesterday night and it all points out to the main objective of Team China: to win 3 to 5 Olympics Gold in Beijing.

Essentially, Li Yongbo claimed that it's all for the greater good of China....to have a Group Advantage that will ease their way for a Gold Medal.

3. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

The greater good of China (although ironically China doesn't sound too happy about it apparently?)... by MANIPULATING the Olympic qualifications! It really does disgust me, and I don't know how they're allowed to get away with it. I hope this article has some effect. It's not good at all and it just has to stop... To me it's even more of an issue than biased line calls.

4. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    I think more "it's all for the greater good for him...." , I don't know what kind of role model that he want himself to be seen. These young players will one day become a man and woman.
    Guess he will soon learn that it will back fire on him. If it's happen during the Olympic where Chinese feel that this is no more tolerable and showing their disgust then it could be very dramatic.

5. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Yeah rite...."for the greater good of China". How cheap and convenient it is to use that as an excuse. If that is the case, every coach can say the same thing "for the greater good of..." some bs and to fix any match in sports.

6. sumbadder

sumbadder Regular Member

you guys talk like LYB is fixing matches because he's some evil villain with a vendetta against the badminton world that he's trying to fulfill. The fact is, he is getting pressure from his higher-ups to obtain as many golds as possible so that in the end, China comes out the huge winner at OG 08 instead of the US.

7. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

What is his motive for match-fixing? I can see the CJ-vs-LD match at AE was little suspicious but CJ was playing great. Other than that, what else could he and did he do? Maybe I don't follow all the inside info here.

As for the Olympics, winning 3 to 5 Gold Medals are good goal for him and the team. Nothing wrong with that as long as he doesn't go out of his way and cheat as the home team.

8. ms142

ms142 Regular Member

For people who haven't read the Olympic qualifier rules: my understanding is that normally a country can send at most 2 players for an event. In China's case, it'd be LD and BCL. However, the rule says that if a country has more than 2 players in the TOP 4, than it can send 3 players. CJ is ranked no.4, and just barely so, hence the effort to make sure that he can play in the OG.

9. Angelou

Angelou Regular Member

I think that this is important. If you can have 3 players in the OG rather than 2, then why not? To the Chinese team, their goal is the Olympics. The All England ranks below that and along with promoting badminton which is near the bottom of the list. There are many ways to see this, but I don't think that what they've done is right or wrong. It's right for the Chinese team, but wrong for the fans. And so who's right and who's wrong? If match fixing was really affecting the game, then perhaps this rule of the top 4 shouldn't exist. In which case, would this be the Chinese fault? or would it be the BWF/OG fault? And so, in my opinion, I don't believe that LYB should receive the devil's award for match fixing. but it is certainly something to frown upon.

10. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
  11. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Can you elaborate on either case, whatever you know about it?

12. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    I dont want badminton will be boring like how ferrari did to F1 for the past few years.

match-fixing is something unacceptable.It is not sport at all.
    I want china to win over the us is olympic.But in a fair play.
    N if the rules have stated that u can send 3 players instead of the usual 2 if u have more than 2 players ranked 1-4.I got no problem with china sending chen jin then.ur luck maybe.

But please,consider how other badminton powerhouses feel.We are talking about our beloved sport,badminton.Please keep the self-seeking attitude aside.We got more important work to do.

13. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
  14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

15. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    When they knew majority are against the rule.Second thought may happen.
    not a huge impact but it is an impact.
    Wait until u are in BWF.Only then will response?

Civilians are power.

16. luyi80

luyi80 Regular Member

LYB thinks he is the GOD of the Badminton World, who ruins the world of badminton with "strategic" match fixing......for the sake of his country, for the sake of Olympic......But, to me, is for his own GOOD! :mad:

Ppl r getting bored of this scenario, and our police of Badminton World (IBF) seems to be ignored all these, as a fan, what can we do?:(

Vching, we need another petition!!!:mad:

17. luyi80

luyi80 Regular Member

Not sure about YZY, but for ZM, she was dropped to the province team during 2006, since then, she was no longer a national player. Same case occured to Wang Chen years ago...

18. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    like i said before..all that LYB care is to win gold medals..at all costs!!China Badminton Associatons might be proud to have him as a head coach..he leads chinese badminton to the top level..but when he uses everything to win,that brings more critics from both public n media.

19. super__gao

super__gao Regular Member

i agree. i really believe that there is probably some powerful people putting pressure on LYB to win as many medals as possible, at any cost. and not for the greater good of himself or his players but for the country in general. If China can win 5 gold medals and a whole bunch of silver and bronze in badminton, that is 5 gold medals + more taken away from the United States (who seem to be their biggest medal competitor for 2008). I think that if China doesn't win more medals than the US come august, then i think that they might be a little embarrassed. In the grand scheme of things LYB is just a small pawn in the whole game.
    personally, i don't really think we can blame LYB, he is probably taking orders. like come on, he is human too. why wouldn't the head coach of the chinese national badminton team want to see his best players play their best against each other in the final of the all england championships??!?!?! doesn't make sense, something is up.

20. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Of course LYB is not solely responsible. But I don't think he is only passively "taking orders" either. He likes to boast about his team, saying his players are the world's best in every event and blah blah. This definitely encourage the officials to put more pressure on him -- since his players are so strong and the previous losses are due to things like bad wind, bad line judge, etc., it's reasonable to require him to bring home 5 golds since the stadium in OG 08 is perfect and there cannot be any line judge problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.