Swiss Open Day 6 - Finals (16 Mar)

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2008' started by robin7, Mar 15, 2008.

1. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Xie Xingfang [1] v Zhang Ning [2] - From the way Zhang Ning beat Pi Hongyan in the semi-final, she is more motivated to win a title since Singapore Open last year.

Lin Dan [1] v Lee Chong Wei [2] - The top seed is certainly more motivated to lift the first title of the year. Can Chong Wei stop Lin Dan? Chong Wei in straight sets or Lin Dan in rubber sets?

He Hanbin/Yu Yang [5] v Anthony Clark/Donna Kellogg - The English pair has been impressive upsetting 3 seeded pairs en rounte to the final, including 2 Indonesian pairs (3rd seeds Flandy/Vita and 2nd seeds Nova/Liliyana). Can they upset another seeded pair? Unlikely but not impossible.

Wei Yili/Zhang Yawen [1] v Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen [2] - With or without team order, the World, Olympic and defending champions should prevail.

Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae [6] v Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan [2] – A replay of the World Championship Final last year but the Korean pair has improved a lot since finishing runners-up then. Can they avenge their loss?

#1 robin7, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  2. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    The only player who has made his presence in every single tournament's final stage THIS YEAR is none other than

LEE YONG DAE!!!
    LEE YONG DAE!!!
    LEE YONG DAE!!!
    LEE YONG DAE!!!
    LEE YONG DAE!!!

3. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Xie Xingfang [1] v Zhang Ning [2] Assuming both players are equally motivated... if ZN is more motivated so to speak, then she may make the match even tougher for XXF, but I see XXF still has an edge over ZN mainly due to age.

Lin Dan [1] v Lee Chong Wei [2] - Lin Dan wins in straight set... nobody can stop Lin Dan at the moment. Lin Dan is too strong, too good for LCW + too bad for LCW as he will have to wait for next year again.

He Hanbin/Yu Yang [5] v Anthony Clark/Donna Kellogg - The Chinese pair has Olympic qualification in mind, and they have no other option but to win. Determination will take them to victory tomorrow. just a side note: I do hope Donna Kellogg wins and let her hair down while celebrating... I bet she will look so much prettier...

Wei Yili/Zhang Yawen [1] v Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen [2] - How can anyone go against them?

Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae [6] v Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan [2] – 3 words that will determine the winner tomorrow... LEE YONG DAE!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

#3 bananakid, Mar 15, 2008
  4. dannyang

dannyang Regular Member

Lin Dan will win the first set with 21:16 or something like this.
    then LD will play around by losing second set.
    in the rubber set, LD will show who is the 2 times WC, 3 times AE.

5. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

Now, LD is no longer too strong for LCW, that is all the pass..a 10,000 BC perhaps..:D:D Both player now are on par with each other. It is now much more base on the on court performance... The last question they leave for us is, who do u support only.. For me , LCW !!!

6. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    The main factor is how well Lin Dan change the pace of his game... as long as he times it well with regard to increasing the pace of the game, Lin Dan will win the match if not dominate the match.

LCW has great defense, but once Lin Dan hits that high gear, there is nobody in the world that can stop him... just look at what happens to some of the most famous defensive players in the world. eg. LHI, Kenneth, and etc... Lin Dan bring them misery.:cool:

7. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

My prediction.

LD - LCW: 51:49. Both players seem determined to take the title and show the other who the boss is. LD still has slight advantage due to his experience.

MK/HS - JJS/LYD: 51:49. JJS/LYD indeed improved much since 07 WC. But MK/HS should still be too strong for them, especially in the 1st game. MK/HS to win in 3 sets.

8. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Did you forget how LD was dragged into 3 sets by LHI in Kor Open? Or how LD lost fair and square to PSH in Chn Open? Even facing Sairul Amar, LD tried his "change the pace" several times before Sairul collapsed at 13:14, but Sairul returned almost all of them. (After 13:14, there is no need for LD to change the pace anymore, Sairul simply gave one point after the other to LD)

I would say LD's main advantage is in his confidence and experience. If LCW can manage to stay calm and confident throughout the match (which, unfortunately, is not very likely), it would be very hard for LD to win.

9. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Changing pace has a lot to do with timing... changing at the wrong time may not produce much result, which is why I did clearly state that Lin Dan needs to time it right.

I did not forget about the Korean open 07 final, where LHI and LD had the 3 set match... but let's not forget the 1st game where LD handed LHI a 21-4 set, and the Asian games 1st set score of 21-3... that's showing others what can happen if his aggression is used at the right time.

10. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Please watch the 1st game of Kor Open final again. Most of the points LD got are due to LHI's mistakes, not due to LD's famous "change of pace". That's why when LHI remained calm and found his touch, he could make the 2nd and 3rd games pretty evenly matched. As LHI said after the match, the biggest mistake he made in AG SF is he lost his cool after the 3:21 first game. In comparision, in AG Team final, LHI remained confident after the 6:21 2nd game (which is easy anyway since he won the first).

LD is by far the world's best in changing of pace. If he cannot "time it right" sometimes, that's simply because he is still human. Only god can "time it right" all the time.

LCW has the ability to frustrate LD, like HKO 07 1st game (21:9), or HKO 06 2nd game (21:8). The point is, can LCW stay calm when he is lucky enough to make that happen? Past experience says he usually cannot. :)

#10 ye333, Mar 15, 2008
  11. THEbaschti

THEbaschti Regular Member

I'm really looking forward to MS final, I hope livestreaming will work fine don't want to miss this... I'd agree to Bananakid: On a good day noone can stop LD, but I'm just hoping to see a great match, not cheering for anybody here

12. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

LCW is not a defensive player... in fact he has the GREAT defense.. He have the same characteristic with LD.. and again both have their own skill too...That is the fact.What i want to stress here is LD no longer is too powerful to LCW..Both player are NOW on par & is it base on their on court performance rather..Chances.. 50-50...
    Is much more on which player do u favor??

#12 xymaerts, Mar 15, 2008
  13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

MEN'S SINGLES
    Lin Dan
    [1] vs Lee Chong Wei [2] -- this is a hard one to predict....LCW has a smooth draw to the Final, except for that first round match against Park Sung Hwan. So too is Lin Dan (despite that he was facing Bao Chunlai yesterday). Lin Dan still has that little edge, esp if it stretches to rubber-set. LCW needs to win in straight sets.

MEN'S DOUBLES
    Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae [6] vs Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan [2] -- the last match of the day and it's the AE Champion vs the World Champion. Kido/Hendra have not met any Korean pair since the World Championships victory against the same pair they will be facing today. It will be tough, esp since the Koreans have improved so much under Ha Tae Kwon. So, it will be either Jung/Lee grabbing a back-to-back title or Kido/Hendra winning their first title in Europe. Kido/Hendra have the slight edge!

WOMEN'S SINGLES
    Xie Xingfang
    [1] vs Zhang Ning [2] -- LYB must have been relieved at this one....the first SS title for China in WS this year! Xie to win!

WOMEN'S DOUBLES
    Wei Yili/Zhang Yawen [1] vs Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen [2] -- the veteran pair to win their 2nd SS titles after the Malaysia Open this year.

MIXED DOUBLES
    He Hanbin/Yu Yang
    [5] vs Anthony Clark/Donna Kellogg -- looks like He/Yu are going to the Olympics after they win the title here.

14. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    LYD/JJS very strong here..Three consecutive final in three weeks..Very scary..Anyway,i still of Kido/Setiawan beat them..

15. carolynwg

carolynwg Regular Member

Student
    can LYD/JJS win back 2 back juz lik KKK-TBH?
    But 2me, KKK-TBH is still da best, they win all eng without droppin any single game...Let's c if LYD/JJS can win swiss open without droppin a game.
    Go !!! lEE yONG dAE!!!!!!

#15 carolynwg, Mar 15, 2008
  16. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Hmm..LYD/JJS also didn't drop a single game to enter the final this time..:rolleyes::rolleyes:Hope Kido/Setiawan can stop them..

17. baihaki

baihaki Regular Member

mk/hs will win this tournament

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

It's ok for LCW to lose. It's trial run no. 1 for OG08.

19. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I am pretty sure LCW will win this - this is a grudge match for him (remembering CO, where LCW's fans felt he was robbed).

LCW has the 'legs' to do this -- he is fit. He had a 'lazy' AE and knows he has to step up. Look out for a 'pumped up' LCW tonight.

20. F-38-I

F-38-I Regular Member

medical doctor
    If I'm not wrong, MK/HS won 2 or 3 SS titles in a row: CO 07, HKO 07, and I forget what's one more. Tough JJS/LYD has improved lately, but still my heart goes to MK/HS. C'mon, Man! Just relax! We each have our favorite players, but we don't have to be overproud by underestimating the others