Pleasanton, CA, what time?

Discussion in 'USA West' started by kwun, Aug 10, 2001.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    when does the Pleasanton gym open? i am considering visiting since many people recommended it.

2. Eric Shawn

Eric Shawn Guest

i heard that there is no open gym in august..something with redoing the floors...im not 100% sure though.

3. mo

mo Guest

yup - opens september 1st week again - think sep 1 is a saturday should be open then

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ok. thanks guys for the info. i will wait Sept then.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hi guys, i finally made my way to the pleasanton gym on Willow Ave. we were surprised driving into the high school campus, the architectural appearance looks more like a modern museum from the outside.

anyway, walking inside, as expected, it was a large gym with 9 courts (3x3), the ceiling is very high, no one will have problems with the birdie touching the ceiling. there are also a lot of space around the court as well as benches for sitting.

the floor was very new and dust-less. i don't think i ever had to wipe my sole the whole night. the line markings are a little bit light in color, but still visible. the lighting is very decent. definitely not worse than any other courts i have been to in the US.

the gym was really crowded today. but the reason was that both Gunn HS and Sunnyvale is closed this weekend, we did see a lot of regulars from those gyms there (us included! :) ) they have a pretty decent system for lining up. everybody has a clothing clip. and they clip on the net as a marking. that makes it quite clear who's next and i didn't see that much argument.

we got there at around 7pm, it was scheduled to close at 11pm, but we managed to play till midnight and there were still people playing when we left! it was crowded till around 10.30/11 or so. after that, there were a couple of free courts.

all in all, an excellent gym for badminton. too bad it is 40mins travelling time for me, and there are other gyms closer to home. i don't think i will be going back anytime soon, but next time when my regular gym is closed. i will definitely consider paying another visit.

thanks mo and others for the info.

6. monto

monto Regular Member

what is the schedule and fee for this location? is there, perhaps, a website?

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this is what i know:

sat: 7-11pm
    sun:6-10pm

i know they are opened on Tuesday and Wednesday evening as well. but i don't know what time.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i went there again this past Saturday. the 9 court gym is closed, we had to go to another gym down the road. there are only 6 courts, and 3 of them have the air ventilation on. it was horrible, the birdie changes speed at mid height.

on top of that, it was extremely crowded. we were there for 4 hours, and only played 2 matches.

it wasn't a fun day, even though we did have a pretty good match at the end.

but we hope to try out the sunday session this weekend. hopefully we will have the normal gym.

it just happens that when the badminton bug bites, we will do anything to scratch it off...

9. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    Ever thought of owning a private court? People with a huge backyard might be able to do that, especially most of the American likes to build their own garage, own house and etc. Not a fancy or luxury court like in the club, but good enough to play. :)

please ignore my silly thought. sometimes it just kicked in when the badminton bug bites and I have nowhere to play. :(

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think about that everyday ;) . too bad i live in the bay area, where real estate is extremely expensive. sigh....

11. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    that's true.
    wondering if anyone here own a private court :p