Mixed doubles positioning

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ftook, Mar 16, 2008.

1. ftook

ftook Regular Member

Director
    My mixed doubles partner and I would like some help clearing up a problem

We play division 1 local club mixed badminton and would like to know your thoughts on a certain shot.

Oponent serves high to my partner and she has various options, i.e straight smash/drop, cross court smash/drop, clear to back left/right.

By her own admission she will struggle to cover back court shots.

Does she play one of the above shots and run to net or is there any of the occasions when I should cover the drop shot and play it and then recover to the back of the court for the next shot.

We have to assume that her shot is good enough to not put us in trouble, and we always try to acheive me at the back and her at the net as soon as possible.

2. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Just remember that the main objective is to win the rally.

The reason you typically want the guy to be at the back in doubles is because he has the stronger rearcourt shots. That makes the assumption that:

a) you haven't lost the rally already
    b) you haven't won the rally already
    c) the guy actually has stronger rearcourt shots

There's no simple rule dictating what to do, to play well you just have to make the appropriate decisions on the fly.

3. ftook

ftook Regular Member

Director
    Thx for quick reply

What im saying is do you feel that it puts more pressure on the lady to try to run to cover the net, or on the man to cover the net then return to rear court.

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I'd say the guy should stand in the middle of his box, close to the center, so he can cover his backcourt area, and the entire front, if a you guys get a short reply from the opponent. That being said, I'm making a statement of what I'd do in normal men's doubles; I don't think there's much difference b/w MD and XD other then the fact that in front and back position, the girl should always be near the front.

5. wun.sun

wun.sun Regular Member

You know her better than any one of us do, so all we can do is give you guidelines.

You already know the two options, either she moves back, or takes the shot and move up. Again, to your post, you say she is not comfortable taking the back half of the court. However, is it possible for her to be there for a few shots, until she can smash and move up?

Another option, is for her to drop straight, and for her to only over that quarter of the net. You will cover the back 2 corners, and the cross court corner from where she drops. Would you be comfortable with this?

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Basically, for a given situation you have to quickly estimate the relative risks/merits of either move. You act based on that information, and hopefully your partner makes the same decision. That's why I say there's no straight answer.

7. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Now this will depend on whether she was wrong footed whilst receiving serve.
    You need to make a quick judgement as to whether she can recover from her shot to follow into the net, if not then you will have to cover the net area if she plays any downward hitting stroke.

8. Bashar

Bashar Regular Member

My two cents - how about simply trying all those options in a (practice) match? Then you'd be able to judge for yourselves.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    There's a big difference btw regular double and XD, especially there's a huge skill / strength gap between 2 partners.

If the lady is significantly weaker at the rear court, I prefer her to attemp an effective clear and buy the time for us to switch back to front and back position. Any weak clear / drive / forced up smash is asking for trouble, whether the male partner can effectively cover the net or not.

10. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    @LAzyBudy:

I hope you don't wanted to say, that she should rush to the net after she did a clear?!?

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

If the female player is significantly weaker in the rear court, this is the solution in competitive playing. Same as for level double, if 1 is much weaker (in the rear court) than another. This is to avoid the weaker partner being "locked" to the back, and let the opponents more effectively taking advantage of the weakest link.

Of course, when I say "moving forward", I did not mean that she has to rush all the way to the front and let her nose touch the net. How much to the front (personally, I prefer around service line distance), it depends on the team needs. Also, when this person position him/herself at the front, it does not mean s/he should just relax, and watching the other one running all over the place with a helpless look. The front person need to effectively control the net using drop/drive/net smash (if possible) to help the partner to intercept and more important, to setup for partner to attack.

All such only apply during competitive playing, as the goal is to win the current match. If for relaxing social games, or practice, it's fine to let the weaker partner practice rear court strokes/footwork, even it at the cost of "losing the game". ;)

#11 LazyBuddy, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  12. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    The question is how you will cover the court, when she plays a clear and you stand in front/back position...

This makes no sense...

When she is weaker on rear court, then she should play in the front court whenever it is possible, but after a clear it's not possible.

Let her play a clear and after that she has to cover 1/3 of the court.
    For example, she does a longline clear on the right side, then she should cover the right 1/3 of the court. You cover the other 2/3...

When the opponent smashes at her, she could try a block to the net and then rush to the net. So you get in attacking position again.

When the opponents play a clear to her, then she could cover the net and you recieve the clear, when you are fast enough.

I agree with all the other things you said btw! ;-)

#12 xt6666, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

In my earlier post, the terms of "front" or "back" is relative term. I did not mean, the story starts when she is right behind my back. It falls more like 2 ppl start with level double formation (many times, female partners do insist / request that to begin with), then, you see she's being pushed to the back, as opponents picking on the weak target.

If she's into trouble, effectively use a clear to switch back to more effective solution (traditional double - front & back) is the solution. Otherwise, it's going to be a slaughter session. Of course, the newly formed front & back should be "/" or "\", but not "|". ;) Which I believe, we are on the same page, as your post of "1/3 vs 2/3".

The above scenario should occur in a very limited times per a meaningful competitive game. It's a scenario to adopt to the game flow, and correct the ineffective initial formation (as female partner wants to try out level double formation). It's not a senario which occurs very often in every single rally.

All I try to explain, is such solution is to "dig yourself out of trouble", if you have no choice. It's not recommended as a "prefered" strategy to begin with. Effectively correct a mistake is ok, but don't make the mistake is a better way to approach. :p

14. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    If she plays a clear, then you are in defense, so you will have to stay in a defensive formation, side by side...

If her defense is not as good yours, then she should cover only 1/3 of the court, but not nearer to the net then you.
    Image she play a longline clear and then stays nearer to the net then you.
    She won't be able to return any smash.

Stay Left/right as long as you get in offense or a neutral position, then she will have to rush to the net as soon as possible.

Best thing would be, if she doesn't play a clear at all after a flick serve.

She should try to play a fast drop shot to the left or rigt side, which should land BEHIND the oppent net player. (way behind the service line)

If your partner is good in returning flick serves, then the opponents want stay in front/back position... But as you said, the partner has problems with that shot, then most probably your opponents will try to netkill the weak return and already stand in attacking position (front/back).

So a slow, tight net drop is not a choice, it will be "killed".

Smash is impossible for your partner (as you said :))

Clear is a bad choice, because you will be in defensive position and that was the goal of your opponents when they slick served your partner.
    (they know her weaknesses)

So my advice:
    Your partner should play a fast (and little bit longer) drop shot to the side (longlinge if possible).

If this shot is good, then your opponent will not be able to do and net kill.
    They might have to lift the shuttle.

Then YOU should play the next shot, no matter where your opponent lifts the shuttle to. Meanwhile your partner reaches the net.

If your oppoent reaches the shuttle earlier and plays a net drop, then it can't be very tight, because of the long and fast drop shot. This gives your partner enough time to recover and at least reach the longline net drop.

Depending on the situation you will have to cover the cross court net drop.
    You then will have to play to the net again, play a drive or behind the opponents net player (play a "soft push).

But don't follow to the net, your partner should have reached the net already and you go back to the rear court. You reach front/back position!
    Congratulation!!! :))

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

In a long run (meaning, once the weaker partner have a complete set of strokes, and better understanding of the game), I definitely agree with the advice, especially the fast drop stroke, which is also the one stroke I prefer to use myself, when I am the "weakest link" in MD game. :p

In lower level of playing, you will be surprised to see how effective a clear can do, under the assumption the other team do not have a killer smash, of course. In a meaningful competitive game (lower level), if our team has trouble to play the rear court, I am not surprise the other team will face the similar issue. Therefore, "return the favor" with a decent clear can do quite a bit damage.

I am not here to argue which is the "suppose to be" strategy. All I saying is, in lower level of playing, players don't have a very consistent stroke, therefore, a skill demanding "fast drop" can be a free pop for other team to smash. However, a decent clear is much easier to achieve by most club level of players. Therefore, play "safe" might be more effective than play "skillful" in lower level of competitive playing.

Well, enough said, it's down to each individual to test every choice out, and pick his/her own favorite choice. ;)

16. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Like always here in the forum, the problem is:

We can't see people in "on court action"

This would make it a lot easier to help you...

ftook could make a video and post it here in the forum ;-)

But he was not online since 2 days...

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Lol, agree.

At the end, it's down to the player him/herself to make the final decision, about which advice to take, whether it's been supported by most ppl or the minority. ;)