to all TORONTONIANS

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by shaun, Aug 11, 2001.

1. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    is there anyone interested to meet up and play a few games this coming friday?
    if so, leave a message! as for the location, i am not too sure yet...i'm thinking of rosemount.

2. joseph

joseph Guest

i like your idea, but i can't attend this friday. so if you're setting up any other later dates, i'd be interested.

3. Creative

Creative Guest

How is the skill level at Rosemount? Do you have to book courts? What is the fee for admission?

4. Jack

Jack Guest

Just so you guys know, they will no longer accept guests for the time being until further notice...only members are allowed to play...

As for the level of competition, there are different levels of players and I'm sure you'll be able to find some competition...I'm the crappiest player there!!!!!

I might go to L'Amoreaux this Sunday to see the level of competitiveness there and hope to see some people there and setup some games :)

Jack.

5. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    fee for admission is free i THINK...they've changed their friday night thing so i'm open to alternatives...where else can we play on a friday night?

6. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    YMCA!!!!.......JUST NEED TO FIND ONE AND WE ARE SET

7. Creative

Creative Guest

L'am has Badminton Fridays. Have to book on Tuesday in order to play Friday. $10.00 for one hour. L'am on Saturday is very competitive and charges $5 for admission. Runs from 8:00pm-11:00pm.

8. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    LETS GO ON SATURDAY THEN!!!!!......

9. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    OK LETS GO TO L'AM ON SATURDAY!!!!!!!!

10. Roger

Roger Guest

How about Sunday morning? So is this Aaron guy really that good according to Jenn or Megan? Is anyone going this Sunday, please let me know. thank you.

11. john

john Guest

what's the difference between the saturday night badminton and the sunday morning one at l'am? everyone has been talking about l'am on sundays, but never heard about the saturday one. i'd be interested in going this saturday.

12. Roger

Roger Guest

Has anyone here gone to Rosemount before? I think you have right Shaun? How was it? How do you rate the level of competitiveness there? How are you incomparison to the level of competitiveness there?

I want to go but I don't know how good the players are there? Please advice anyone~

13. Creative

Creative Guest

I went in the last Saturday of July. I have to say that Saturday competitiveness is much greater then Sunday. People are more snobby and will only play with you if you are really good. "Really good", meaning you had been trained professionally. You will get teams mens or mix approach you to play if they feel you are a good match for them. The level is higher and people want to play and beat you. Also, the crowds get pretty big. Nine courts and at least forty to fifty people. I talked to Ken, the man in charge and he tells me the teens and people in their twenties play Saturday. Sunday, is more relaxed and all age groups come to play. Yes, Aaron and Chris(Ken's son) are really good. They probably won't play with you unless your team is really good. They can smash(jump smash a lot), drops, slices etc.. If you do get a chance to play against Aaron and Chris then you will not return Aaron's smash. I've watched him smash at people and no one can return it over the net. Vincent and Howard are also a good pair to play against if you get a chance. They don't have the monster power Aaron and Chris has but they are very well rounded players. You know they have been professionally trained. Then you have the another pairing, Caucasian and a short Chinese guy. Caucasian guy is deadly at the net, he just stands there and gets to everything. Don't put any high shots at the net or you will be sorry. The Chinese guy has an awesome backhand. He use to play Scarborough A in the 80's but has fallen to Scarborough B level. I think he is in his late 20's early 30's. He can get to impossible shots and still make a winner out of them. I've played against them and I learned my lesson. :) They aren't always there. They haven't been there for two weeks. There is also Joe and Ah Gay. They are well rounded players and from observation one can see they have been professionally trained. A good duo to play against if you are in the intermediate to advanced level or in between intermediate and advanced. Of course, you get to see HER ;) Guys know what I mean. :) I prefer Sundays because we all are there to enjoy badminton and not just kill each other and see who is the best. You have beginners to advanced players and most of them are intermediate except for the advanced teams mentioned above. There are a few guys in their 40's that play very well. Their skill level is intermediate and they would be very good if they were in their prime. They are slower now but they have skilled shots(drops and placement). I play against them every week since I've been to L'am. For equipment freaks, most of them use Ti-10 there. A handful of them use the legendary ISO800, some Ti-5 to Ti-8, ISO900's and one girl has a Slim-10. For the CP version freaks, there is a MP100 CP. Haven't talked to the guy but he is an intermediate player. I've seen him play with the advanced players and does quite well. He is kind of like the student to the advanced players. He has learned the skills but hasn't mastered them yet. He mostly plays with a group of older men in their 30's and 40's. They are also intermediate level. So there you have it, my observations of L'am since I have been there. It is up to you if you want to go to Saturday or Sunday badminton at L'am. Saturday for pure competition and Sunday for the overall badminton experience of fun and competition. Saturdays from 8:00pm-11:00pm. Admission is $5.00. Highly recommend you go on Saturdays if you don't mind the snobby kids and pure competition. Sundays from 8:00am-3:00pm. Admission is $4.00. Highly recommend you go on Sundays for overall fun. Go around 9:00am to 10:00am to warm up and practice some shots before the courts(nine) get full around 10:30. The advanced and intermediate players start arriving from 9:00am right up till 11:00am. Hope to see everyone there this Sunday that proposes to come. :)

14. Creative

Creative Guest

Man, that was a long post!!! :)

15. john

john Guest

i've never been to l'am, but what happens when all the courts are full by the time i get there? how do people take turns to play? am i suppose to just wait around and hope that a court frees up?

16. Creative

Creative Guest

Happens to all clubs. Courts will be full. Just have to wait 15 minutes or so. People know when it is full they play one game and get off. People on Sunday are more disciplined. A lot of the 8:00 group leave around 11:00am or so. The times I have been there I've been able to finish one game and play another. Only a few times I had to sit for 15 minutes and wait till the people get off. John, you just have to come out and see for yourself.

17. john

john Guest

thanx creative! i will definitely try to attend this sunday. i'll be wearing black tear-aways, with a gray t-shirt, using a mp77 with blue strings. if i bring a friend or two, i'll show up at around 11 or 12, cuz they don't want to wake up early. if i go by myself, i'll show up earlier.

18. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    aaron?! lol hes my friend from school! haha!
    i beat him endlessly in singles...not that i'm good tho ^_^ just watch, i'm prolly the worst out of all of u!

19. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    oops nm that, u were talkin about another aaron, altho my buddy aaron knows a jen as well

20. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    um guys, so when are we going?
    i think saturday sounds good for me...i'll go on saturday! and i'll bring 2 friends...and be wearing blue sleeveless and grey shorts...mp77 with white strings.