Vancouver, British Columbia

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Winex West Can, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Places to play in Vancouver and surrounding areas:
    a) Vancouver Racquets Club (membership required)
    Ontario St/W. 33rd Ave.
    Dedicated badminton courts (4 doubles and 1 single) Open 24x7. Guests have to be accompanied by members. Membership is pretty expensive ($500+/yr plus initiation fee). It's been years since I played there.

b) Vancouver Lawn and Tennis club (also members only)
    Fir St/W. 16th Ave.
    Never played there so don't have details on guest policy and membership fees. Open 24x7

c) Richmond Badminton Club (active during school year)
    (Anderson Rd/Garden City)
    Membership cost $75/year. Plays Tues, Thurs & Sun. (6:30 pm to 10 pm)Feature shuttles provided by club. Membership is limited and a long wait list. Guests (Drop ins) are allowed at $5.00/session but restricted if more than 22 players (3 courts). ** This is where I play on Thurs **

Various community centres around town on various nights. Some selected centres includes:
    - South Arm Comm. Centre (Richmond)
    - Marpole Comm. Centre (Vancouver)
    - West Richmond Comm. Centre (Richmond)

2. Pete

Pete Guest

I play at the Vancouver Lawn, Tennis and Badminton Club every Saturday. Trust me, it is one heck of a facility but the initiation fee and monthly due are very stiff! I am a guest so I only pay CDN8.00 and play from 2:00pm till whenever I drop flat. Actually, the club closes at 1:00 am everyday.

3. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Hmm ..

Maybe I'll ask you guys for a session or two when I go on my business trips to Vancouver again. Not too sure when will that be, hopefully not too long from now.

I was down for 2 weeks then, went down all the way to Kelowna and Penticton, beautiful country! I was in Abbordsford and the Vancouver harbour area as my associate works in the former lived at the latter. Yes I know, its pretty long drive, but well his house had one heck of a view !!

It was a rather pleasant experience my last time there except for the Airport Immigration officers who seemed to look upon all non-Canadians with disdain and relegate them to the realm of crooks and criminal-like. I seriously think they should re-consider their rather dismal atitude! But then again, almost everyone else I met was anything but unpleasant. So it sort of more than made up for it.

4. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Gladius,
    No problem. Will be more than happy to set up a few sessions. I am more of a doubles player than singles.

Give me a shout via e-mail as to when you will be in town.

Cheers.

5. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Not in the short term definitely, but I'll be in the States in January for up to 3 mths. Vancouver again ? Well, maybe after that, later perhaps as I still don't know.

But I love the weather there in Mid-summer... Its just warm compared to what I get here in Singapore ! Its not cold and I don't sweat either !!!

I'll drop you a mail if some impromptu trip comes along. Thanks for the invitation.

By the way, I play a lot more doubles than singles too.

6. Josh

Josh Guest

If you live in White Rock, there is the White Rock Badminton Club every Tuesday and Thursday night from 8 pm to 10 pm. For people 16+ but mind you my two friends and I are in it and we are only 13. That is because we are exceptional players for our age so we were accepted. It's only $80 from September to June. Doesn't require a membership or anything, just pay the 80 bucks and you can go every tuesday and thursday night.Gladius wrote:
    >
    > Not in the short term definitely, but I'll be in the
    > States in January for up to 3 mths. Vancouver again ? Well,
    > maybe after that, later perhaps as I still don't know.
    >
    > But I love the weather there in Mid-summer... Its just warm
    > compared to what I get here in Singapore ! Its not cold and I
    > don't sweat either !!!
    >
    > I'll drop you a mail if some impromptu trip comes along.
    > Thanks for the invitation.
    >
    > By the way, I play a lot more doubles than singles too.

7. Josh

Josh Guest

i'm sorry i forgot to mention the location of the White Rock Badminton Club. On tuesday nights, it's at White Rock Elementary, on Thursday nights, it's at Semiahmoo Tral Elementary.

8. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Hi Josh,

Thanks for the invitation. Think I'm way too old for you fellas ... I'll probably feel out of place ... Nothing to do with skills though. I do know of some 17-18 year local lads over here who could give me a real thrashing ....

For all I know you guys may just do that to me too .... :p

Hahaha .... joking ... :)

Nope, I doubt if I will drop by there anytime soon. A colleague of mine just flew off to Vancouver today, so I definitely won't be going there anytime soon ....

By the way, where's White Rock, my knowledge of your place is very, very limited as it has been rush-in, rush-out over the 2 times I've been there ...

Say relative to the Vancouver Yachting Club ( Hope I got the name correct, which overlooks Vancouver Island ) ... An associate of ours lives just round the corner to the place, so I've got a pretty good idea of the place. Very exclusive housing area, his house has an unblocked view of the sea and you can actually walk down to the sea from his house ....

Or say the Lion's Gate Bridge ?

9. Graham G.

Graham G. Guest

Hi Guys..there is also the Ocean Park Badminton Club out in South Surrey that play Tues. at Crescent Park Elementary at 128th & 24 Ave. and Thurs. at Sunnyside Elementary at King George Hwy & 152nd(Johnston) 8-10pm both nites.
    Signup is ONLY $65.per season(Sept. till June) or $3. drop-in. Our age group ranges from 18years to 73 currently. Graham, Manager

10. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Another place available within the Greater Vancouver Region is the West-Lu Badminton Club in Richmond which play on Tuesdays and Thursdays evening from 7pm to 10pm.

They are located in the Homma Elem School by Railway/Steveston and drop in cost is Cdn$5.00 and includes feature shuttles (Hi-Qua).

11. Sam

Sam Guest

Hey Peter, the membership for the Richmond Badminton Club is $75.00 and is there a fee each time you play?

Thanks

12. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Hi Sam,
    Sorry for the delay in responding. Didn't actually see the message until now. There is no fees for the members to play at the Richmond Badminton Club. The club plays three nights a week (Tues, Thurs, Sun) and the fee of $75.00/yr is for one night (max. of two nights per week = $150/yr). There is a drop in fee of $5.00 for non-members and also for members from different nights.

Currently there is about 70 people on the wait list trying to get on. If you are a drop-in, then you might have to sit out if there are more than 22 members for that particular session.

13. Sam

Sam Guest

Thanks Peter.

14. Mick

Mick Guest

the VRC website says membership is 140/yr

15. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Where on their website says 140? Check the application form. Initiation is $99, and the annual adult dues is $620 (all canadian dollars).

Be prepared to bring your own feather shuttles. How much you will spend annually for shuttles will depend on the quality of the birds, where you buy them from and how often you play. It is generally expected that each player puts in an equal number of shuttles prior to games. This makes it fair for everyone.

16. richmond guy

richmond guy Guest

There used to be a bunch of old chinese guys with bad attitude, just wondering if they are still playing at the Richmond badminton club? Can anyone recommend a place with quality badminton and friendly atmoshpere?

17. be nice

be nice Guest

Each player puts a bird down for each game. That is generally true. Except alot of times, a number of the guys (no names, but often asian, older) who arrived in their mercedes would try to cheat on supplying birds. Guess they have to save money for another car.

18. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Richmond guy,
    Not sure who you are referring to at the RBC but generally, I found the folks to be friendly. The Tues/Thurs nights are more social than the Sun night folks. On the various Sundays that I'd played, some of the players are pretty intense but overall it was a lot of fun (hey, I like winning as much as the next guy).

I find that regardless of where you go, the first couple of sessions are usually intimidating while the other players assess your level of play. I usually take it as long as I am having fun, it should be okay.

Cambie Comm. Centre has badminton sessions (I think they play with plastics) as well as South Arm but I'd heard that they get so busy that it's a long wait in between games.

19. Sam

Sam Guest

richmond guy, try out at Sunset community centre at 51 st & main. is monday, tuesday and wednesday @ 7:45 to 9:45. fee is 3.50 with membership and 5.00 without.

20. Josh

Josh Guest

The White Rock Badminton Club has a friendly atmosphere too. They let you have the first session free to see if you like it or not. That is what I got and I was only 13 when I joined. There is also not many people at all so it is not always crowded.