AE 2008 MD Finals Review 2

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2008' started by Dreamzz, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

now, i have finally been able to watch the MD finals thanks to the great efforts of modious. and i must say, i have to disagree with james (his comments below in red), which is rather rare for me. i don't think JJS was the weakest player at all in this match.

Game 1

now, i felt all 4 players were equally good in this game, maybe LJJ was slightly better than the rest but it could have gone either way, being so close at 22-20. nothing much to say here, some excellent rallies.

Game 2

this is the game where i felt LJJ was outstanding. that point at 12-15 was the best i've seen in a long time, put a smile on my face. here's where i felt HJM started to fade a little. i thought, overall, HJM was the weakest player and he gradually deteriorated as the match wore on. in the first game, he was sharp at the net and excellent at the fast exchanges, he showed signs of this in the second game but was not as consistent as in the first.

Game 3

here is where i felt HJM played the worst, and it affected LJJ's game as well. all 4 players started a little nervy, but LJJ/HJM kept ahead and were leading at the interval. then HJM made a lot of unforced errors after that, at one point you could see him visibly apologising as LJJ looked very dissapointed. i don't know if this is a fitness issue, but he certainly went off the boil.

all in all, a very entertaining game. LJJ was the best player by far, HJM started well but lost it in the end, LYD and JJS were the steadier pair in the final 2 games and deserved the victory in the end.

MD: Lee/Jung vs Lee/Hwang

A good match which was well fought by both pairs, similar as the WD the match was very evenly balanced up until 14 points in the thirds when a few lose errors from LJJ gifted LYD/JJS a cushion which they did not relinquish.

For most of the match though Lee/Hwang were the better pair, the two KOR Pairs are quite even in defence, but Lee/Hwang are definitely superior in attack at both the front and the back they have more power. Ther was also an intresting battle at the net between LeeJJ and Lee YD, and I think LJJ shaded it slightly. Out of the four players JJS is the weakest, and this puts pressure on LYD to do sometihng special, which he often can do, but it should not be relied upon.

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

sorry james, this is not an attack on you, it's just a difference of opinions ...

:)

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

u can juz post at the thread james had created..;)
    no need to create a new 1:)

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    No Problems Dreamzz....everyone is entitled to their opinion. I agree with you that LJJ was outstanding in this game. He controlled the net (which the day before I had proclaimed LYD to be the master at against CTF/LWW) and his service returns were always putting them in control from the start.

I forget the points now since I haven't watched it on video but I felt at the Time that HJM had the ability to put the shuttle on the floor whereas JJS sometimes struggled and only "got by" in the defence department, whereas the others could actually do something with the shuttle.

But in the end LJJ/HJM lost, so the turnaround must be attributed to something. I put it down to some fantastic defence strokes from LYD which took the wind out of LJJ/HJM's attack at a crucial stage (about 14-14), this left them with too much to do.

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

that one has been locked!
    :eek:

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, you've gotta download the video, it's a keeper! nothing like watching it live, of course, the atmosphere is totally different. but you tend to be able to see more of the action when watching the video, since you can always do your own 'replays' and analyse the points a bit more.

regardless of who was better, this was an exciting game. you could tell from the reaction of the crowd, they were slightly bored at the beginning, probably thinking it was going to be less competitive as it was KOR vs KOR, but they really got into it at the end.