how to bring out racket's power?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by andrew chan, Mar 19, 2008.

1. andrew chan

andrew chan Regular Member

Hi everyone, i do understand how shaft stiffness affects a racket.

Stiffer= more power if u can bend it during a swing.

My question is, how do i get the shaft bending more, because i recently got an AT 700, and it seems i got a lot better power outta my broken AT 300, my smashes are slower, but everything else is slightly stronger(which i am really happy about, since swinging the relatively heavy 700 has made my forearm muscles slightly bigger)

I also understand it is/could be a technique issue, but i think its because i dont have the power to flex the shaft.

2. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

the at700's head heavy balance and longer shaft makes the racket less stiff than advertised. since you just got it recently, maybe you haven't adjusted to it yet.

3. nummertwente

nummertwente Regular Member

Technique, strings and adjustment period aside, this may be an indication that the racquet is too stiff for you at this point in time. Happened to me when I made my first 'big' racquet upgrade when I was in high school (Carlton Airblade Kevlar to Ti-8). Many aspects of my game were enhanced due to the stiffness, but power just didn't improve because I couldn't swing fast enough.

You can always just stick with it and focus on technique for now as your power will/should naturally improve as you get stronger.

4. andrew chan

it feels less whippy, i can feel it bending, but i guess not enough, is there anything i can do to get up to the demands of the 700?

5. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    There is a significant difference in stiffness that your max swing timing will be off. Stiff racquets will require a much faster swing to generate that same amount of power as your older more flexible racquet. Best suggestion is to keep playing with it until you get that timing. What tension and strings are you using?

6. andrew chan

im using BG 85 at 23x25, but im sure its gone down to around 22x24 or even 21x23, its only been getting worse this week, when it was freshly strung, it was a lot better, but im too cheap to cut the strings then restring, also im not patient enough for that

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    How long ago was this stringed? After it's freshly strung, it will drop and stabilize within about a week or two.

8. 2ol2play

2ol2play Regular Member

retired
    You should train using a good training racket (150 grams is the best)....this will improve the muscles that are used in smashing as well as the other areas of your arm and shoulder..Simple weight training does not work as well...to get the power from this racket you must be strong armed or have strong wrist...Probably 90% of the players who buy the top line Yonex rackets dont get the most out of the racket because they dont have the power and technique that is required to use them to their full potential....since you have already purchased this racket then it is best to work on strengthening your arm and wrist...good luck because I never did get there and gave up on the top line Yonex rackets...Now using the Karakal M-Tec 80 which is lighter and gives me the racket head speed I need in smashing...tremendous smash when strung at about 28x30 with BG 85..plus I only play doubles now so I need the control more than the smash...Good Luck:)

9. andrew chan

oh i bought this so i would be able to use any racket, cause i heard that this reacket was REALLY hard to get used to, so i figured if i could get used to something thats difficult to get used to, the learning curve for other rackets would be decreased

i think about, 3 weeks maybe?

10. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    just cause you can use one racquet doesnt mean that you would be use to any racquet thats out there doesnt quite work that way.

as for your problem as you put it about not getting power it seems that you dont have a compact swing. personally i love stiff racquets and to play with them and to get power you have to have a compact swing to get the most out of it. so that might require some technique work on your part to gain the skills of a compact swing so that you can use the racquet. But deffinetly stick with it after a while you should notice that it gets easier to use it and so forth but yeah in time you should be able to get your power back from it.

11. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    fast swing, powerful arms, and good technique. all prerequisites for bringing out racket's power

12. andrew chan

wuddya mean by a compact swing?

13. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    basically that you have the properform and your swing is explosive making the most use out of pronating your arm, having a fast swing, etc. You dont want to have a huge swing or a slow one which will rob you of power when using a stiff racquet.

14. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    if your going to modify your technique to suit the racket a bit more then to compact your swing try making sure your back swing isn't to long or far back and doesn't slow down right before or after contact, i have seen people slow down their racket before and right after contact and that can reduce power, specially if your looking for a compact swing, also focus on extreme pronation and power from your wrist and less arm, this doesnt mean you still cant use your body weight (core, legs, etc).

15. andrew chan

i kinda see what u mean, so u mean same power, just less motion

16. lukingrex

lukingrex Regular Member

Yep

I switch from AT 150 to at 900 power and after playing with it for 4 hours the next day my forearm was dead was in so much pain (like my muscle is tearing apart)

I couldnt hit with the 900 power as hard as i did with at 150

Because the 900 power is 4u and at 150 is 3u

I hit the frame a lot with the 900 power

But im just adjusting to it, soon later on My explosive smashes will come back

(God dam my forearm hurts how the hell do i strech it!!???)

17. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

to generate extra power you have to bathe the racquet in holy water and meditate for 12 months alone in a cave.

:cool::eek::eek::eek::cool:

18. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Well,the result might be tremendous,since ur opponents will run away..since by that time u'll smell like the dragon breath..:D:D:D.Then u can even easily beat LD 21-0:D:p

19. RED&WHITE

RED&WHITE Regular Member

IT Plebs
    Believe in your strength, that how i put power on my racket

20. yinsoon

yinsoon Regular Member

student
    haha speaking of believing in your strength, Zhao Chen Hwa in his instructional vids on Youtube he talks about 'focusing' your strength haha... My interpretation of that is basically getting the timing right, but 'focussing your power' definately sounds way cooler haha... and i guess helps if your thought process is very visual =)

I certainly agree with everything said above in terms of strong arms/shoulder muscles. My interpretation of the 'compact swing' has more to do with cocking your wrist further back and letting lose all the energy in one burst, its power at its maximum at the point of contact *again timing* than a full stroke.

I play with headheavy rackets, my theory about them is like this...
    ever played streetfighter? in some versions of the game before ryu or ken releases their fireball there is a 'charge' button? hehe.. with head heavy rackets (and this is in relation to smashes only) maybe you need to pull back that arm, or cock that wrist just that little harder, gather up more potential energy and 'bang' =) Thats how it works for me.

*as you can see my thought process is very visual haha*