Rules of play revised or not?!

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by blundey, Mar 20, 2008.

1. blundey

blundey Regular Member

Ive read through the forum, and on one occasion im almost 99% positive that Ive seen a few rules up for review or even changed. One im interested in particular is on serving. If someone could clarify these questions it would be really helpful.

1). If i serve and hit the body of the receivers partner, is this my point or his? Ive read the rules and it describes this as a fault, but it doesnt say who's? If going by the rules i know, it would be the servers point as the shuttle was touched.....but then what is stopping me aim at the receivers partner when he is unawares? Seems a pointless rule.

2). Since may 2006 have any rules actually been changed? Any links to anything more current would be helpful for my club.

3). I have a few people at the club I goto that serve in such away that its deemed illegal. They have been there long before me so its certainly not my place to say. How would you address the subject if the owner of the club hasnt done anything about it until now. I feel that the way these people serve doesnt necessarily give them any advantage, but it can get some very weird angles and is just annoying.

I THINK thats it.

Thank you.

2. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

agree, if anyone have information about the current serve rule will be great.
    i only know i think 4 but do correct me if im wrong
    1. when you start doing the serve, you cannot stop to trick the opponent, it must be 1 whole movement
    2. the highest point of the frame must be under the handle when you pull a horizontal line to them.
    3. first contact must hit the head/cork. so hitting the feather first is illegal.
    4. must be around waist area.

I find the most mistake is on number 2.

3. blundey

blundey Regular Member

Thanks corolla man, I understand these rules, its the points ive made where im a bit cloudy and would appriciate some input.

Regards

4. gustaff

gustaff Regular Member

Work
    If the receiver gets hit (any of the receivers if doubles), the server wins the point, just like if it would have been in normal play.

To add to ae86trueno, the shuttle must be hit under the lowest chest rib when serving.(dunno if chest rib is what you call it :p)

5. blundey

blundey Regular Member

I read this was being changed so that it was only a fault if it hits the raquet. I hope this will be the case eventually.

6. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    if you hit the reciever on anypart of his/her body then yes you get the point and same in doubles if you hit either of them. Even if its their clothing of hair or shoe you still get the point, if the non reciever hits it back over the net in doubles you also get the point.

For rules that have changed there has been some modification to the service rules.

For the last one thats a tough one cause since they have been there longer they will defend their way alot more. Im actually not to sure i would try to let them know about it that it could be illegal and all that.

7. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    The laws of badminton are available here.
    Although this is from the official BWF website, I'm not certain it contains all the latest amendments.

8. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

blundey, I don't get the point of the first question. Of course, when the shuttle hits your body, your side lose the point. What else could it be? If my side win a point when the shuttle hits our bodies, geez, I am going to chase after that shuttle to let it hit me every time :D:D:D

As for aiming at the receivers' partner, yes, of course, you do that and do it purposely. The point is not to hit them, but to make the return more difficult having to avoid hitting his partner. That is part of the game.

Now, illegal serve question is tougher one. I am lucky that all my friends serve well within the legal limit. I have done some research online and talking to an older (competitive) gentleman on this topic. It used to be strictly below the waist but now the rule seems to have relaxed even at the SS level. Look at some of pro serve, you can claim they are illegal also, yet the serving judges do not call them on it.

All in all, I would say don't let that bother you. Unless you are a pro and playing at a tournament (then call in the judge), I doubt it makes much different anyway. If it still bothers you, take it as a challenge to beat them EVEN they serve illegally. :)

9. ae86trueno

Thanks Oldhand for the link :)

10. ae86trueno

yep, normally i wouldn't be bothered much unless it create a big disadvantages to the receiver.

regarding the law, 9.1.6 the shaft of the racket upon hitting the shuttle shall pointing downward, how much angle can it have before considered illegal?

11. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    think thers bin a change in that rule. racket can now be almost horizontal.

12. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

How about 0.01 degree! :D:D:D:D:D:D

13. blundey

blundey Regular Member

Fan888, i was referring ONLY to the partner of the receiving side. Im not silly to think otherwise ;) Maybe i should have written it a little clearer. But this topic has now been cleared up and i understand now. Im sure i read somewhere they were going to change this law...ill have to spend a few hours digging around i guess.

In regards to the illegal serve. It wouldn't bother me so much, but his racket head is almost facing the ceiling! It allows for some seriously weird angles and flicking which are just annoying :D Im working onthe return, but they are awkward.

14. toddster

toddster Regular Member

Grad. Student PE instructor
    Its a Judgment call by the service judge. Deal with it. he he or exploit it. Umpires are human, unfortunately they make mistakes. A good player will know how to read the service judge.

Toddster

15. Erik L

Erik L New Member

linguistic scientist
    Frist Blundey:
    1. When in service the shuttle hits the receivers' partners' body, the point goes to the server ( Law 13.3.5). Where the server aims his service at is irrelevent.
    2. There is only one service law that has been changed since 2006 and that is Law 9.1.6. This law deals with the angle the racket should have at the point of impact. In paraphase this law used to say that the shaft had to point downwards in such a way that the whole of the racket head was discernibly below the hand holding the racket.
    Now the rule is that the shaft has to point in a downward direction at the point of impact and there is no longer any relation between angle and the position of the racket head. Basically this means that now flatter services are allowed.
    3. There is no point making a big deal about faults which bring the other side no disadvantage, however you would certainly be witihin your rights to make a remak when you are playing such opponents. The position of the owner of the club in this case is of no consequence.

Second Ae86trueno
    Your point 1 is partially correct. You may not stop after the forward movement has started. When you start with a backward movement it is allowed to stop before you start the forward movement, but only for a second or so. 9 (See law 9.1.1.)
    Your point 2 used to be correct but no longer is. See point 2 of my answer to Blundey.
    Your point 3 is correct
    Yout point 4 is mor or less correct. At the point of impact the whiole of the shuttle has to be below the waist. For purposes of BAdminton Law the waist is defined as a line around the body level with the bottom of the right and left lower ribs. ( Law 9.1.5)
    There are however also a few other criteria which you did not mention:
    1. both sever and receiver must not unnecessarilly delay the excecution of the service. ( Law 9.1.1.)
    2 Both the server and receiver must be witin the boundaries of there service box. The may not stand on or against the lines. ( See Law 9.1.2.)
    3 Neither the server nor the receiver must have (part of) both feet on the ground until after the moment of impact. (See Law 9.1.3.)

Third Yipoo888
    You are right. A service can be almost horizontal now.

Finally Toddster.
    Most aspects of the service are easy to read. It is not the aim of the servicejudge to call every service which is a fault. The servicejudge aims to make sure that things do not get out of hand. The prevaling policy is to step in early to make he boundaries clear and after that we limmit ourselves to deal with excesses, especially towards the end of a game. In most cases this policy works very well.

16. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

This is not quite correct. Law 9.1.1 says that the server cannot delay the start of the serve upon completion of the backward movement (which happens before the forward movement can start, of course). This means that a pause (even of half a second) at that point is undue delay and faulted accordingly. The previously allowed trick of pausing at the end of the backswing is thus outlawed, and this was a deliberate change on the part of the law drafters.

17. Erik L

Erik L New Member

linguistic scientist
    The aim of this change was not to change a natural sequence of movement, but to indeed ban the trick as you mention it. A natural pause between the backward en forward movement is not intended to be seen as undue delay. Servers will not be called if there is no intention to mislead the opponent and are also not intended to be called. I agree wtih the rest of your statement.

18. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

There is nothing in the law about intent and a service judge can have no knowledge of a server's intention behind a pause. But the pause is banned, nevertheless.

19. Erik L

Erik L New Member

linguistic scientist
    I am afraid things are not as black and white as you seem to present it. Undue delay is banned, a pause being part of natural movement sequence is not. Such a pause does not constitute undue delay. The law focusses on undue delay and not on any delay. It is the length and nature of the pause which determines whether there is a matter of undue delay, and whether a service is going to be called or not, not the pause as such. Finally, reading a players intention especially in the process of serving and receiving is really not as difficult as you claim. It just requires sufficient experience.

20. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

I'm afraid you are wrong. Law 9.1.1 says:

"On completion of the backward movement of server’s racket head, any delay in the start of the service (Law 9.2), shall be considered to be an undue delay; "

In other words any delay is undue delay, by law.