Stupid moves!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Nanox, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Nanox

Nanox Regular Member

Student
    ok, i have a problem after i serve, every time after i serve i think the birdie are going to the back court but then some ppl end up dropping it, and my leg was not fast enough to respond and i always lose points on those. is there any ways to prevent that??? like you hit certain spot and u think ur oppent is going to hit to that spot that you think it gonna land but then it end up on the other spots. what can you do?

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Wait for the shuttle to leave his racquet before you make your move. That's the only way unless you're really good at anticipating your opponent's shots. And not just wait for the shuttle, you gotta 'preload' your leg muscles by hopping alittle whenever your opponent make his shot. Preloading will make your acceleration to the shuttle alot easier and faster. Don't forget to lean forward alittle for your hops, your center of gravity for standing is not the same as the one for moving around the court.

3. Roman00

Roman00 Regular Member

What I believe you are also lacking is experience sorry if I'm wrong but the more you play the better you get. By the information provided I'm guessing your a singles player, one thing you can try out is to do deep servers, or after serving talk take two to three steps back. The bottom line is you have to practice footwork, just play more and practice for now unless you want to get a coach.

4. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    could it be a wrongly timed/badly positioned split step?? try running a search on 'split step' ...there should be some valuable information useful to you

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

When I play singles I find it much easier to move backwards than forwards, and I have a good clear even when the shuttle is behind me, so I usually use high serves and position myself slightly forward of the standard base position. The split step is really helpful, so if you're not using it already, start doing so.

When I am caught out, in 80% of cases it's due to a drop, so I can empathize:eek:.

6. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner

For most people, it is much easier to move forward than backward... so it make more sense to have your base slightly further back instead. Or else, a fast flat clear will put you into a very defensive situation.

For moving forward, at a high level of play... should only take one big launch to get to your backhand front corner, and one small step + one big launch to get to your forehand front corner.

Your stance at the moment of receiving your opponent's shot has an impact on how well prepared you are as well... eg. if you anticipated a smash, and have your legs in a side by side position, then you may find it a bit harder to retrieve drops or move back to return clears.