Any players near Commack, NY?

Discussion in 'USA East' started by pyaarawala, Mar 21, 2008.

1. pyaarawala

pyaarawala Regular Member

student
    I play badminton at my college for a class and I love this game. I've called like all the local schools and almost all of them don't pick up their phones, two said that they're sessions are already over and won't resume till the fall, and one said his courts were under construction. Anyone know where else to play? I've tried Miller place, Commack, Northport, Stony Brook. The places in Queens are way too far for me even though those places sound great. Anyone go to a badminton place often and do car pools or anything?

2. pyaarawala

student
    anyone? I also have a friend who's interested. Possibly two.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Seems that you already tried all the options in LI area. Before reading your post, I was thinking about Northport and Commack HS as I played there about 4-5 yrs ago. But seems you already tried. Unless you willing to travel to Queens, guess you just need to wait for them to re-open. :eek:

4. pyaarawala

student
    Where do you play now, LazyBuddy?

5. pyaarawala

student
    I finally got in touch with Stony, they have courts after 2:30pm Monday - Thursday and they have a place to rent badminton equipment. I didn't ask them if I had to be a student at Stony Brook though. I am a SUNY student at Suffolk Community College, however, and am transferring to Stony Brook soon. Anyone have experience playing at Stony Brook and know if they are stricklers on the IDs and if they wouldn't let us in?

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. I graduated from Stony Brook like 7 yrs ago. ;) Now days, I mainly play in Queens, Brooklyn and sometimes in the city.

2. I haven't been to SB for 5+ yrs, after all my friends graduated. They used to have a very active badminton club, but heard it was dying down. :eek: Not sure who's in charge of the club any more, or the dept of recreation take over. The major complain we had back then, was their schedule was no where near reliable. Even if a time was reserved, you can easily get into a situation of other clubs taking over, or no one at the front desk, therefore, can't get equipment or nets to be set up. Therefore, make sure you call before heading out. Regarding to the IDs, sometimes, they are very loose on it, but sometimes are very strict. Not sure about your status, but you might be asked to pay $5 (price 5 yrs ago) to enter the gym. Maybe you should tell them to let you check it out 1st, to make sure badminton is in session, before give the $$$ then find out the session is cancelled.

3. Try to bring you own rackets and shuttles if you prefer competitive games, as the ones from them are very lousy.

7. pyaarawala

student
    How is the Queens Badminton place? I believe one is in Francis Lewis High School? I think I might just make the trip if Stony Brook doesn't work out.

8. slam_w2k

slam_w2k Regular Member

Hi LB, I graduated from Stony Brook like 24 yrs ago. :eek: :(:p:mad::eek::D

Now my niece just got excepted along with couple other school. but I think SB still a great value in NY, what do you think?

The badminton club is as good as who's running it. I was helping organize back then, we either have a exhibition game during half time of men's basketball game. I am planing a trip with my niece soon, looking to play there if they are open.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you prefer www.queensbadminton.com (branches of NYC badminton), then you have two choices of Francis Lewis HS and John Bowne HS. Overall, I believe JBHS has more schedule choices, better courts, and higher level of playing. Personally, I haven't been to FLHS for a while, not sure how they run now days. Over heard that for Sat, you need a group of 4 to drop in something.

It's better to give them a call 1st, and base on your schedule, group size and level of playing, they should be able to give you some suggestions.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I am sure things are a lot of different now days. At the earlier SB days, we actually had 8 or even 12 courts on fri and sat. However, later on, we were forced to cut down to 4. Many competitive level of players would rather go to other open clubs to play, due to un-reliable schedules (more to do with campus rec. dept) and lackness of competition. Then, I heard the club slowly dies down. :cool: Not sure about now.

Depends on what your niece's interests is, SB can be a decent choice (i.e. CS), or could be less preferred choice. Suggest to attend their open house, and talk with the advisors. Not sure if they offer badminton games during open house or not. :D