Overhead Stoke

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ali3990, Mar 23, 2008.

1. ali3990

ali3990 New Member

student
    Hey everyone, just got a question about the overhead stroke. Recently I've realized that the current stroke that I have been using was not creating that "crisp" sound through the impact of the birdy on my racket. I noticed that for a lot of players, their overhead stroke always produces a nice "crisp" sound due to them making contact with the birdy squarely on the face of their racket. I want to achieve this stroke for more ease of producing power. So far these are the things I've noticed and tried to apply to my stroke:

1-Arm must be relaxed through the stroke, the only time the muscles pronation process should tense up is right before contact with the shuttle.

2-The elbow must be raised to about "ear" level to reach a high contact point (assuming standing on ground).

3- body must rotate smoothly, arm must come up "on-edge" (i.e. the racket face should be coming up with the racket facing flat sideways) and then at pronation the racket faces foward in contacting the shuttle.

4- the wrist should not "bend" during the pronation, otherwise the power is dispersed and end up with a very long, sounding stroke (the 'wooshing' sound of the overhead stroke should be quick, short, and concentrated in one area).

So far that's what i've changed in my stroke, but for some reason the power in my smashes is not that threatening towards my opponent even when smashing from half-court. Is the following from what i described correct in an overhead stroke? I've done quite a lot of reading from other articles already, but i still dun quite get it. A video i found somewhat described the body mechanics on achieving hitting squarely, helped me somewhat to an extent, but i know there are greater differences in badminton and tennis: http://youtube.com/watch?v=M9jyuC1wMF8

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member