Wrist!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by No0b102, Mar 24, 2008.

1. No0b102

No0b102 Regular Member

This might be stupid but... Hey i heard to improve a smash you need wrist and speed right is there anyway you can do this? Like a training of some sort. Thanks:p

2. Moggy

Moggy Regular Member

Hmmm when i teach beginners to use their wrist more i get them to do clears with their arm vertically up clearing with wrist only. For starters it lets them realise how much power is generated by that movement only.

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Depends on your style and the racquet as well, I'd imagine. Some people are wristy, others armful.

4. No0b102

No0b102 Regular Member

im planning to buy a At-900

5. Moggy

Moggy Regular Member

The people using arm is generally doing it because they don't realise the power they can generate with their wrist. While you can still generate a lot of power, u won't get the same steepness in smashes and control with arm only.

I don't think the racquet really matters, a head heavier racquet might induce more arm action, while a head light might make it easier to add more wrist into each stroke.

#5 Moggy, Mar 24, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i don't think that'll give you a good smash, especially if your technique isn't right to begin with. btw, it's not really the wrist that generates power. wrist is a joint, so you can't get power from it. the power comes from the pronation and suprination of the forearm.

7. Moggy

Moggy Regular Member

I suppose technically the power is delivered by the muscles in the forearm, and the means of delivery is via the wrist. You could try putting in a wrist support that prevents your wrist from snapping backwards and you'll see power being reduced significantly (it won't prevent you pronating the forearm).

#7 Moggy, Mar 24, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  8. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    agreed. just that i've seen people who think using their wrist means bending it into angles which could very well damage them badly, all because they've heard "power comes from the wrist"