String Tension For New Victor Powerwave 12

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by nigelboswell, Mar 24, 2008.

1. nigelboswell

nigelboswell Regular Member

I already posted about getting a Victor Powerwave 12 and how I'm a weak smasher in the racquet comparison section.

I already ordered my powerwave 12 before I got some semi-negative reponses to getting the powerwave 12.

Now that I am getting it, I need to know what string tension to string it at.
    The official recommendation is

----
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,san serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,san serif]Power Waves 12:
    Flex: Medium
    +Symmetry Ti+
    Frame: Ultra high modulus graphite + Symmetry Ti + Nano
    Shaft: High Modulus graphite + Nano
    Weight: 2U 3U
    2U (H) 29 - 32 lbs (V) 27 - 30 lbs
    Stringing lbs: 3U (h) 27 - 30 lbs (V) 25 - 28 lbs
    Length: 675 mm
    ----

Is says for my 3U (25-28lb)

I don't get what the (h) and (V) mean.

But I need it at least tension possible to get the most power I can get in my smashes and clears from my weak arm/wrist.

What tension can I string it at to give me max power?
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

22 - 23lbs would do the work. Victor racquets are durable, so there should be no problem with stringing below the reccomended stringing tension.
    Just one thing, lower tension = more power and less control, high tension = more control and less power.

3. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

why does it seem that the higher i get my rackets strung the more powerful they feel? Is that good/bad?

OP Stringing depends on each person and their individual swing technique. Its as much up to the individual as racket selection, how ever if youre completely unsure i would say 23lbs is a great starting point. Also be mindful of stringing machine and string, as they play a huge role. Personally i dont ever want my racket strung on a crank ever again, simply for consistency reasons.

4. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    Just a guess, but I think H is for Horizontal, and V stands for Vertical. In other words, those are recommended tension ranges for main strings and cross strings.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I have an Inside Wave 4000 at 87g, and I've had 29/32 on it with no problems whatsoever. Indeed, it seems more durable than the comparable Yonex (the NS6000, in my book).

6. nigelboswell

nigelboswell Regular Member

Yeah, I need it at lowest tension because I don't care about control. Not to brag, but I'm quick at covering the court, deceptive, and can drop and play my net game well. But all that doesn't matter because I can't finish rallies when I get the opposing player to lift. I just can't smash hard enough and it kills me.

That's why I need it at a very low tension.

-Thanks

7. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Umm.. a 'very low tension' doesnt help you either. 'Very low tension' is about 16 - 18lbs. 'low tension' then is around 19 - 21 lbs, and the average/normal tension would be around 22 - 23lbs. High tension begins from 24-25 lbs, then the 'really high tension' is around 29lbs, etc..

Too low = bad control and no power.
    low = bad control but more power
    average = more control, more power.
    high tension = more control, less power.

That's just my opinion.