Exercises to improve backhand clear?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ionoo, Mar 26, 2008.

1. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

What are the most effective exercises that you do to improve your bh clear? Btw do bicep curls help in bh clear?

2. Baddict_2006

Baddict_2006 Regular Member

Chef
    well i just used my dumbbells to make my wrist stronger for that special shots hehehe.u can also go to youtube and watch some wrist training videos there!

3. Hagane

Hagane Regular Member

Transport Consultant
    I'm more of the opinion that backhand clear is 95% technique-5% power.
    Practice the footwork, grip, swing, contact point and stroke.

The most difficult part I find with backhand clear is the contact and the swing.

Most people like forehand shots... backhand clear (as in overhead backhand clear) feels truly awkward to me when I was practicing the stroke.

Contact is on the different side to most things, so you have to get used to that again, etc.

My forearm isn't that strong, but I can still do end to end backhand clear :)
    Backhand smash though... hehehehehe.... that's a WIP for me :)

4. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    I totally agree with the above statement. I am a strong guy but my backhand clear is always the weakest link in the badminton game due to my poor techniques. However, after my friends corrected my techniques my backhand clear has become better but more practice is need to further improve my backhand clear. Find the ones who are good at backhand clear and learn from them. That's my two cents.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The biggest improvement to mine came from relaxing - it's easy to panic when the shuttle has drifted past your round the head opportunity, so you think far too much about the shot instead of just playing it.

Another little trick I was taught concerns the shot itself. In order to get the correct wrist action, you should "look at your watch" at the beginning of the stroke.

The best thing you can do, though, is watch as many singles matches as you can, since BH clears come up here more often than anywhere else. Start with Taufik and/or Lin Dan - theirs are pretty much tops.