Anyone play in Regina?

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by RED&WHITE, Mar 27, 2008.

1. RED&WHITE

RED&WHITE Regular Member

IT Plebs
    Hi, is anyone in Regina play badminton? i just want to play good badminton game

2. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    there is a club in Regina you can check out. I am not sure the name of it...

3. RED&WHITE

RED&WHITE Regular Member

IT Plebs
    Looking for anyone to play in regina?

Im looking for anyone who play badminton, dont care if you just statrted or advance. i mostly play in fieldhouse. badminton season in my school is over, and need more practice to improve. thnk you.

4. zoocchini

zoocchini New Member

hi

Hi,
    Sure. I'll practice with you. I'm an low/intermediate club player thats kinda rusty. If you want you can email me at 5yw5@queensu.ca. I never check the forums here:p

Cheers

5. zoocchini

zoocchini New Member

hi

Hi
    I'm a casual club player. I'm kind of rusty but I would like to improve my game. If you would like to play send me an email at 5yw5@queensu.ca. I don't check these forums very often.
    Anyhow, let me know!

Yifan

6. istring

istring Regular Member

Google Regina Badminton and u will find we play recreationally at a couple of school gyms.

7. istring

istring Regular Member

Google Regina Badminton and u will find we play recreationally at a couple of school gyms.

8. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Does anyone know where the badminton club is now? I know it used to be at the Court and Fitness, but it got closed down because it's being made into a gym.

Maybe at Field House?

9. istring

istring Regular Member

The former Court and Fitness Club has been purchased by a national fitness club which will not offer badminton. A new and different facility will be available in the fall for both badminton and racquet ball. In the mean time, some of us are playing in primary school gyms on Monday and Thursday nights until mid-April. Google "Regina badminton" and we are listed under Wascana Badminton Club.

10. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Sorry, i have a lot of questions regarding this :D

Where is this new facility going to be available?
    When you say Fall, you mean.. Fall 2009 correct?
    Is the Wascana Badminton Club include the coaches at the former Court and Fitness?

11. istring

istring Regular Member

I cannot say where it's going to be because it's not my facility. From what I hear, it will be ready by fall 2009. The Wascana club is a group of players just having some exercise playing badminton, much like the groups at U of R, field house, and several other community associations. The coaches at the former Court and Fitness are geared towards training junior players to compete at a national level. We are not part of them.

12. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Ah. I see.

I just talked to my friend today that was part of the Court and Fitness. He said a lot of them played nationally and for Team Sask.

Do you know anything regarding the badminton course at the Field House?

13. istring

istring Regular Member

I believe the Field House offers lessons in the fall to kids as part of their community program. I don't think they have classes for adults. You can check their website by searching City of Regina.

14. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

I have seen their classes....they say the maximum age is 14.

However, since i'm fifteen, would that really matter?

15. istring

istring Regular Member

You can always ask when u register but the city course only runs for a few weeks and they only teach the basics. You can also sign up at SBA (google Regina Badminton) in fall 2009 where kids your age can be coached in an organized setting. Only kids that are exceptional will be sponsored to play at national tournaments. The almost-exceptionals can still enjoy the sport locally, play and compete at a provincial level -- and there are lots of them at this level. SBA welcomes all junior players regardless of their current skillset. Only through practice, good work ethics, and sparring with peers will you improve. You can visit the Regina junior tournament in April 2009 to check out the quality of play. The schools are also starting their badminton season right now.

16. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Haha nice. I'm playing in the Junior Tournament...i think. Last year i played for Riffel, and sadly, we tied with Sheldon for third in Men's doubles.

17. istring

istring Regular Member

The final SBA junior tournament has moved from Regina to Saskatoon this year (2009). Plan to train and play with them this fall. They also have camps in the summer that u can attend. Check their website for info.

18. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

So the Junior Tournament this year is not held in Regina? That sucks. So is there going to be any tournaments after Cities that you know of?

#18 AznAndrew, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  19. istring

istring Regular Member

The school tournaments would be the last ones unless u plan to go to the regionals and provincial to play and/or watch. Do plan to participate in the SBA summer camp. It's good for the experience.

20. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

I just found out yesterday that Riffel will be hosting a Junior Tournament this year. Woo :D

Where is the SBA summer camp held? Is it for people of all ages/skill level?

Also, do you have any links giving details about the new badminton facility opening up in Fall? I've been quite interested for a while, and all i can find is the "Cooperators Centre"