coaching to improve technique

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by slick, Nov 24, 2001.

1. slick

slick Guest

I've been playing badminton for 5 yrs or so.My shoulder has become sore and

has a worn out feeling especially the last couple years. I believe it is from not

using the whiplike action in smashing, clearing. I'd like to find some help or advice

so i can improve my game. I'm in the west Toronto/mississauga area.

2. happy guy

happy guy Guest

i been there.

i also have shoulder pain back couple months ago, so maybe i can be a help somewhat. back than some advice i get is a good long warmup, it helps but it not the solution i was looking for. at night time after session, i feel so much pain it is like my shoulder going to far apart. what happen is i put too much stress on my shoulder cuf (spelling), too much rotation and twisting. after geting a video tape of badminton game, i was able to slow motion on 'slow replay' to learn and study the technique of the smash and clear. what i found out is the technique and motion is the same for smash and clear, hard to believe. i start to apply the new technique, it was arkward at first but after several months of fine tuning, the result was very positive, i didn't just eliminate my shoulder pain, i was able to eliminate warmup wrist pain. kill two birds with one stone, unbelievable. i wish my english was good enought to discribe the technique to you but i can't, so i suggest you to get a tape or a club player who can show the technique in slow motion.

the whiplike action is ok, it is still not the proper technique. the only thing i can tell you is this....make sure your arm is STRAIGHT when you make contact with the shuttle when smashing, this will reduce the twisting of your shoulder. also, check out the topic 'smashing' in the general forum.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: i been there.

I was teaching some beginners last night. Only a fill in session. Very hard to teach overhead shots effectively. I find I have to start right from the beginning with footwork to get effective position.

4. kaliwete

kaliwete Guest

of course, it's very important with the base first.so that you have a very good foundation. it is like you have a very good stroke but you're getting to the ball not properly balanced.so you have to use all your skill everytime you get to the ball in order to compensate with your irregularities. what if it's more fun and effective if you have the proper footwork.so that you will get to the ball much more balanced and your shots will be much more effective than before!

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

so, happy guy, is the pain gone too when switching feather to plastic and vice versa?