User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Mizuno Wave Tornado Review

I bought myself these a few weeks ago and someone asked me to write one up on these so here it is...

Mizuno Wave Tornado

Overview:
    This model is Mizuno's top tier Volleyball shoe for 2005 available to North America. It combines every current Mizuno shoe technology and is a hybrd design, coupling the agile and lightweight Mizuno Lightning and shock dispersion, support, and stability of the Mizuno Epic.

Shock Dispersion:
    The cushioning/shock dispersion of this model is top notch. Designed for international caliber volleyball players, if you're a high flyer, rest assured this shoe will have adequate shock dispersion for you. I bought this model because I have bad knees and require all the shock dispersion I can get. I'm also coming off a long break from athletics so I needed to be careful and safe with how much strain I put on my joints. I've felt the shoes have done a good job at helping to reduce the strain. I weighed 180 lbs. coming back so I can use all the shock dispersion I can get.

Stability & Support:
    Lateral stability is good. I was unsure about it when I saw the shoe design but there is definitely enough for someone my size to move dynamically about the court without fear of rolling my ankles. Because of the high shock dispersion abilities of the shoe, the soles are rather thick. However, I have yet to even once feel a reason to believe the shoes lacked adequate stability.
    There are also support straps, mad of some flexible plastic material, near the ankle of the shoes to provide extra support in that area.

Comfort/Fit:
    Overall I think the shoes are quite comfortable. I was able to feel "at home" in them quite quickly. One important thing to note is that the arch area is fairly narrow, more so than any other court shoe I have ever worn before. I have wide feet so the narrow arch area was the only "break-in" pain I had to endure. Even then, it only took the warm-up until the shoes formed to my feet. After a week or so there was no more "break-in" pain at all, so now I can put them on knowing I'm good to go.

Weight:
    As stated, the shoes combine lightweight agility with high shock dispersion. They feel light on my feet for volleyball shoes and I don't feel like they're weighing me down at all. I don't know the exact weight.

Other features:
    The shoes are very well ventilated. A lot of ventilation in the soles through grilled openings in the arch and forefoot. Just don't step in any puddles! You can tell by examining the shoes that Mizuno has put a lot of thought into reducing as much weight as possible in the shoe, as well as optimizing ventilation, stability, support, and cushioning.

Other possibly relevant information:
    I've used the shoes only for doubles and mixed doubles play. It's not that I wear something different for singles, I simply just don't play singles. During my "normal" badminton schedule I usually spend time in badminton shoes than I do wearing footwear for everything else in life.

Price Paid: Roughly $135 CAD after taxes and shipping charges.

Other shoes tried:
    Many various older Yonex, and later model Mizuno, and Asics court shoes.

Conclusion:
    I believe the shoes have provided me with exactly what they were advertised to do: agility with shock dispersion. They fit me well, I like how they look, and I'm pleased with their stability and support. Please bear in mind these are volleyball shoes. Does this mean they cannot be worn for badminton? Obviously not. However badminton shoes have their obvious strengths just as volleyball shoes do. Unfortunately in North America, our footwear options for badminton are very limited. Would I have bought Mizuno volleyball shoes over Mizuno badminton shoes if given the option? Honestly, I'd have to examine their badminton shoes first to make sure they have enough cushioning for my knees. However, if my knees weren't an issue, I'd buy Mizuno badminton shoes in a snap as I've heard a lot of good things about them. So if badminton specific shoes are not available to you, volleyball shoes certainly make a great alternative.

An Aside:
    One last issue I'd like to touch on is how many people believe that it is easier to roll your ankles wearing volleyball shoes than badminton shoes for various reasons. I personally don't believe this is true. I think if you were going to roll your ankle, you would do so regardless of the shoe you were wearing, only the potential damage could be greater wearing shoes with higher soles. Rolling your ankle is usually due to any combination of, but not restricted to, "miss-steps", imbalance, lack of coordination, dragging your feet, at the time of transferring weight onto or off your feet. A good solid "plant" of your foot will not cause you to roll your ankle regardless of what footwear you're wearing. So those of you like myself who don't have the option of buying badminton specific shoes, keep yourself fit, keep your footwork up, and don't drag your feet about the court, and volleyball shoes will serve you fine.

Hope the review was helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shoes Review

You should post this review in the shoes review section

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually my bad, I should have posted this in the "Badminton Clothing" forum. Would one of the mods please move it there? TIA~

I don't like the show review forum because for me it only shows up as "Mizuno Shoes" with no other headings for individual shoe models as if you were reviewing a company's entire product line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timeless
    Actually my bad, I should have posted this in the "Badminton Clothing" forum. Would one of the mods please move it there? TIA~

I don't like the show review forum because for me it only shows up as "Mizuno Shoes" with no other headings for individual shoe models as if you were reviewing a company's entire product line.

what happen to your asics typhoon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    what happen to your asics typhoon?
    I still have them, and even though they look like they're in good shape, they needed to be replaced due to wear and tear. I decided to give Mizuno a shot since I was looking for something a little lighter than the Asics Typhoon. I've owned a lot of Mizuno and Asics volleyball shoes in the past so I knew I would get great quality either way I went.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nicely done write up...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great review timeless! I think my next shoe is gonna be Mizuno Lightning ver.2. Really loved the Mizuno experience. It'll be better this time around now that I will be getting the RIGHT size.
    Last edited by cappy75; 10-25-2005 at 06:17 PM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timeless

timeless,

your wish is my command:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/revi...hp?product=452

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the kind words guys .

And thank you Kwun. I think the revision to that section looks very nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your exhaustive advice !
    i'll buy mizuno wave tornado II next week.

All my best.
    Jean-Luc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

timeless, i know it has been a while since your review (nearly three years ago ) but since then, have you tried any new shoes and how do they compare to each other. i mean in terms of grip, lateral support, cushioning, adn overall comfort. since you have tried yonex, mizuno and asics, maybe take the best model of each brand (according to your opinion and experience with those shoes) and compare the points stated above.

that is if you have time (i hope you do since you are timeless ). thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Er... you guys might wanna start looking at the last post date before posting on the thread. It's been almost three years since he last posted here. Yeah, he converted me into a lifelong fan of Mizuno/Asics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, he might be online but just dont post. or maybe later when/if he finally goes online he will take the time to respond. hahahahah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by azabaz_ipoh View Post
    timeless, i know it has been a while since your review (nearly three years ago ) but since then, have you tried any new shoes and how do they compare to each other. i mean in terms of grip, lateral support, cushioning, adn overall comfort. since you have tried yonex, mizuno and asics, maybe take the best model of each brand (according to your opinion and experience with those shoes) and compare the points stated above.

that is if you have time (i hope you do since you are timeless ). thanks in advance.
    ..don't we have a Shoes review thread done by our Master NGP already??..If not, then, eerr, perhaps he can create one??..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you read even the earlier posts of timeless? Are you implying that if the area is not covered by NGP, it SHOULD be covered by him to gain validity?

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..don't we have a Shoes review thread done by our Master NGP already??..If not, then, eerr, perhaps he can create one??..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    yes, sir dink have done a review and it is good review. thanks a lot sir dink.

but having more than one review does not hurt. plus sir dink can't review/compare yonex and asics shoes against mizuno because mizuno does not make badminton shoes that fits his giant gentle panda feet.

i have a mizuno and i love them grips but maybe the cushioning is lacking a bit because it is the low end ones. i have seen wave lightning and maybe even wave tornado around, so it is good to read a review on them volleyball shoes. my ankle dont tend to roll so maybe i could use the volleyball ones. and i am just curious on the camparison of these three brands that are loved by a majority of members here. i would certainly raise my hand in recommending mizuno. and i plan to try asics and yonex sometime in the future. so a bit of research is good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hmm..

Quote Originally Posted by cappy75 View Post
    Did you read even the earlier posts of timeless? Are you implying that if the area is not covered by NGP, it SHOULD be covered by him to gain validity?
    ..yes, i have read timeless' earlier posts....Not saying we should get his "validity" or "stamp of approval" of the products. What i meant is, since our Master NGP is the "unofficial" tester of many badminton related products (you name it, he probably got it covered) and has tested many of them, then might as well have our Master NGP give us a Shoes Review (if he hasn't done so)...Isn't that what our Ms. Ipoh was inquiring??..

*azabaz_ipoh, yes, i think i've read Master NGP's review on that shoe also.
    Last edited by ctjcad; 04-16-2008 at 09:07 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast