Where to play Jacksonville, Fl.?

Discussion in 'USA East' started by Christian, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Christian

Christian Guest

I'm curious

2. Sanjay

Sanjay Guest

I'm trying to find out too! Anyone can help?

3. Christian

Christian Guest

It seems this forum needs participants from Jax, Fl.....

4. Sangeetha

Sangeetha New Member

kindly tell me where to play Badminton in Jacksonville

hey eerybody,

I am sangeetha,
    i would like to know where in jacksonville has court to play badminton,
    is you know,'just tell me

5. Vimal

Vimal New Member

Design Project Manager
    Jacksonville FL

Lost all hopes of finding ne badi clubs/ courts in n around Jacksonville. If any of you guys were lucky enough to find one...please do message me vimalguru@yahoo.com FYI there are clubs in tampa orlando miami. I did make a desperate attempt while i visited miami. but hm hm no one to play with.:crying:
    one more thing...Found a not so bad substitute here in jack fl..."RacquetBall""!!! dosent rock as badi but still ..... :(

6. Vimal

Vimal New Member

Design Project Manager
  7. donlelel

donlelel Regular Member

Let's start a club then!

We could maybe start a badminton club - at YMCA or something.

8. Vimal

Vimal New Member

Design Project Manager
    not a bad idea

but do you see there an't many from Jacksonville Fl using this forum.

9. donlelel

donlelel Regular Member

just wrote you a msg to your email address

hi,

i was hoping you found already something... maybe there is already something at some university (UNF, JU, etc.). I'll have access to UNF / YMCA and I'm going to check there if nobody's done it before.

10. koolcorean

koolcorean Regular Member

i want to join

Hi if you guys start a badmittion club i would like to join, i used to play in highschool at sandalwood highschool but that was some years back, i played at gainesville at their UF club but i graduated and would love to get a club started here

11. donlelel

donlelel Regular Member

No good news

Hi,

I checked at YMCA and there is no badminton going on in their facilities. UNF told me that if we get 10 students interested, then we can start a club there. I was told also that there's a family that goes there once in a while, without an established schedule. I still couldnt talk to JU and JCC. I'll keep you posted, please check the thread regularly. Also it would be good to find more people interested.

12. donlelel

donlelel Regular Member

Driving to play badminton

Hi,

Would anyone be interested to drive to some close city where there is some badminton games played? We could all go in one car - save some money...

13. koolcorean

koolcorean Regular Member

hrm which is the nearest city? seems like if we can just get 4people that would be enough to find a place and just set up our own net we just need a gym, i know sandalwood highschool has a badmittion pingpong class so we could always ask to play there on weekends

14. santoshmanya

santoshmanya New Member

Eager to Play Badminton

Hey,

Jax sucks man, I never saw a city without Badminton clubs.
    could anyone tell me, where can I find a Badminton Court.

or can we get the number of ppl intrested in playing badminton.

so that we can ask UNF

#14 santoshmanya, Aug 27, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  15. donlelel

donlelel Regular Member

Follow up

Hello,guys,

I talked to YMCA and there are chances to start a club there (you need YMCA memberships, though). If this works out, there is no fee for the gym (apart from monthly membership). To follow up.

The guys at UNF would be ok to let us play there as long as we pay. But, if we find enough students, we might get the gym for free. To follow up.

Places to play badminton in FL - see :
    http://www.sbabadminton.org/wheretoplay/fl.htm
    We can try a few close clubs and decide. The closest are about 2 hours drive, I guess. For me, it's worth it, once a week, if we share the travel costs.

If anyone knows about a gym that we could rent (or just use), that would be great. We'll start advertising etc and I'm pretty sure we'll find people. The most important is the place. So, guys, try to find a gym, if possible.

Keep checking regularly this forum thread, I'll try to find a solution.

Best

16. DShaz6344

DShaz6344 Regular Member

Hey

Hey, im currently a student at UNF and am interested in starting a club there or somewhere in the jacksonville area. Otherwise, i would be interested in car pooling and going to a place thats 2 hrs away. Give me some feedback if your interested.

17. Srini

Srini New Member

badminton tournament in Jacksonville,FL

Hi Vimal,
    Just joined the forum. I have also been hunting for a court. We are conducting a badminton tournamnet at UNF volleyball courts on the 9th and 10th. We are trying a makeshift arrangement and will be using the volleyball court. The person in charge has said he will be able to tie the net at 5 ft.

I may be taking some blue tape and marking out the court. This is more to start something rather than something very professional. It is for the gandhi foundation at UNF.

There seems to be a facility in I95 and emerson where we can play badminton. I think they charge $60 for an hour. IF we book it for 2 hrs and have 12 ppl ( 3 sets for doubles) it will work out to $10.00 per head and then shuttles. we can play twice a month may be. we may have to figure out how to lay the court. again it is not a badminton facility.

I am going there this friday and will let you know.

you are welcome to come over and lets get creative

check out jaxindoorsports.com. I just checked the site but it did not have
    badminton.

18. Srini

Srini New Member

I am a member of an Indian association and last time when iIhelped conduct their sports events I made 5 ft poles with PVC tubesand and T-Joints. If we have the place we can taake this and assemble the poles and weight them down and play. the onlu pain to draw the court every time. the entire contraption can be dismantled and carried in pieces.

19. DShaz6344

DShaz6344 Regular Member

http://www.sbabadminton.org/wheretoplay/fl.htm thats a website with locations in florida. it seems like the closest location to jacksonville is about 2hrs away, i go to tallahassee and orlando to visit alot so i wouldnt mind playing out there.

20. donlelel

donlelel Regular Member

YMCA follow

Hi,

I talked to YMCA and in principle they agreed on starting up badminton. Now they still debate over the schedule - I asked something during the weekend or evening so working people / students can participate. We should be able to find out soon when we can play there.

Here's the phone number from YMCA : 292-0775
    Here's my phone number from home : 322-8257 (I should be home mostly in the evening, 9 pm - 11 pm should be ok to call)

We should start collecting phone numbers, it's easier to get in touch afterwards.

UNF also might be a good place to play, they should have volleyball poles. But we need students to start the club for free there (otherwise they would charge for gym).

The other place suggested earlier, 60$/h , it's not very bad either but I think we should be better off at YMCA or UNF. This way we have a flat rate monthly and we dont have to worry about not having enough people to pay for the day. Also, once member, other sports could be practised. And since there are so many YMCA facilities, I bet you they would be able to accomodate us a few times a week, here and there. Here are prices :
    http://www.firstcoastymca.org/membership/membership.htm
    Remember that if you have low income, you can get a very good discount (ask at the entrance / phone what forms and proofs are needed). Also, if wanted, you could buy membership only for a specific branch (cheaper, but I wouldnt recommend - as I said, they might let us play a few days a week at different branches).

OK, I'm waiting to be called or to see more phone numbers. Let's get in closer contact and let's hope we'll start playing soon. Who's UNF student, try to find more students / push for a badminton club at UNF (maybe some posters to find others interested?).

Thanks, Cornel