Improving my service

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Nischal, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Nischal

Nischal New Member

Student
    I feel my service is weak..
    If i hit a high service, the opponent replies with a smash..Also, my short service is easily predicted..
    Please suggest tips & drills to improve my service..

2. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    take a large amount of shuttles and hit serve after serve after serve on a empty court, you cant get better unless you practice, once you get comfortable hitting high serves to the back line, aim for the corners. watch videos of pros serving. goodl luck

3. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

No don't aim for the corners. This merely serves to give the receiver a good angle for a deceptive return.

If you reliably can, aim just to the receiver's side of the centre line for a long serve in singles; otherwise aim for the mid-point of the backline of the receiver's half-court. A good long serve in singles will be so high that it will come down, almost on the baseline, with snow on it.

4. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Here are a couple pros who should NOT follow their serves:

1. Markis Kido(INA)- his racket is so high up that about 75% of his serve CAN be called fault if the service judge is being picky.

2. Kenneth Jonassen(DEN)- I have never seen a professional singles player with such an inconsistent serve.:p

Here are some pros who have a very good serve:

1. Taufik Hidayat(INA)
    2. Lee Chong Wei(MAL)
    3. Lin Dan(CHN) - good flick serve for a singles player, too.
    4. Peter Gade(DEN)
    5. Gao Ling (CHN) - most consistent server.
    6. Tony Gunawan(INA/USA) - He observes his opponent quite well before serving, and also he hit the shuttle with more of the bottom part of his racket head.

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

let me add to this list ....

6. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Martin Lungaard's position is alright, just that he sometimes can't serve it over the net for some odd reasons.

7. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    he just started serving and hasn't mastered his control yet, i suggested aming for corners as a target in a drill, not against a opponent, sorry if i wasnt clear on this, this is a drill. and you can serve to the corner, if it is to their backhand, sometimes you can catch them of guard and get a week backhand/week A.T.H.

8. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

No decent player will need to play a backhand on a high serve. He would easily get to play a round the head shot.

9. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I seriously need to improve my high serves.. I give up to around 8 points or so a set.. they keep going out by a meter or so even if i hit the shuttle really lightly from around the centre of the court. :(

10. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    try hitting the shuttle higher, my guess is you're hitting forward too much...

i think i need to work on my forehand short service. i wanna learn how to appear to serve high, but serve short with forehand. I see some people doing it so well. Nevertheless i noticed so many people does foul-forehand short serves, even in competitions but no one seems to care.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    1. For the high service, use this only for singles.
    2. For doubles and singles use the backhand serve, to serve a short serve and a flick serve.

There are two types of high serve in singles, the high and the very high. The very high serve in singles is harder to learn and also harder for the receiver, but once you get it it is very accurate and will land within less than 6" from the backline. The high serve is easier to serve and you must hit it to the extreme base, but because it does not achieve the extreme height of the very high serve it is easier to overhit it when serving. It is also very easy for the receiver to handle a high serve. For the very high serve a straight arm is necessary.
    For doubles and singles the backhand serve, for the short serve and the flick serve, is necessary. It is this combination of the backhand short and flick serves that keep the receiver at bay.
    You can do a search to find the techniques for these serves.

12. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I've made another thread on this problem before, and the conclusion was that I just had to hit the shuttle with less power. But still.. it goes out..
    I've got no problems with short forehand serves, but this usually ends up putting more pressure on me because the opponent will either lift it to my backhand side or drop it, which will have me lift the shuttle ( also a problem, my lifts go out very often because I hit too hard ), and also worsens my lower-back pain..

Another problem for me is that I have poor judgements by the singles lines in singles. I often think it's going out and it ends up being in.. but that's just something I can hopefully fix up by playing more :D.

My opponents score points mostly from my errors, rather than from their winning shots such as smashes. :( I score mostly from smashes and tight netrolls instead.

13. Nischal

Nischal New Member

Student
    Thanks for ur help..:)

-well, i usually look at opponents position before deciding where to place the serve..
    -I also try to make the high serve quick and flat, I think that would give the opponent less time to get behind the bird.. could this be the problem?
    -In the short serve, i probably give some clues which the opponent can easily predict. My short serve usually ends up with him approaching the net and killing the bird.

@taneepak
    what would be the advantages of a very high serve against a normal high serve

14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    When your serve high. Make sure you observe where your opponent stands. If its on the baseline, then your serve is good. Just get ready for the smash or counter it. For low service, just try back hand serve and try some flicks to annoy them. Hope this helps.

15. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

guys, post a video on youtube or something.
    advice is easier to give if we can see what exactly is going on.