User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    Yes... Whatever we think or say is usually influenced by others. But sorry, I just cannot stop arguing with BCers who think that Misbun is not a 'Great' player.
    I guess each ppl has their own standards. If judged solely by the number of major titles such as World Championships, Olympics Gold, Thomas Cup; in that case, not only Misbun Sidek is not a "Great" player. Some other players who are fans' favorites like Peter Gade, Kenneth Jonassen, etc; will fall under this category too. They had yet to win "the big titles".

Even Morten Frost Hansen had yet to win any single WC or Thomas Cup during his years. Well, he did won 4 AE titles, which several ppl here have resevations on. Because players like Mohd Hafiz Hashim (considered a goner long long time ago) and Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong (considered a history) had also won this yearly title.... Can we say they are "great" players as well because they had won the All-England title? Hmm...

I guess 4 is much much better than 1 that those MAS players won eh? So, we can safely say that Morten Frost Hansen is a great player, whereas, his compatriots, and Misbun Sidek unfortunately, don't make the cut.
    Last edited by badMania; 12-28-2008 at 11:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let us return to talk about Misbun Sidek.

I had to opportunity to watch Misbun playing in Melbourne, Australia, when he arrived here to participate in the 2002 World Masters Games.

Every participant at the Games said that Misbun is a 'Great' Badminton player.

Yes... Whatever we think or say is usually influenced by others. But sorry, I just cannot stop debating with BCers who think that Misbun is not a 'Great' player.

How can Misbun be considered a great player when we compare him against the likes of Yang Yang, Han Jian, Morten Frost during their playing days?

Dont know about you, I believe to be considered great one must have em' major titles. Or else we are gonna have every Tom, Dick and Harry in that great category.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badMania View Post
    I guess each ppl has their own standards. If judged solely by the number of major titles such as World Championships, Olympics Gold, Thomas Cup; in that case, not only Misbun Sidek is not a "Great" player. Some other players who are fans' favorites like Peter Gade, Kenneth Jonassen, etc; will fall under this category too. They had yet to win "the big titles".
    Peter Gade, I think bagged the AE in 99'.

Even Morten Frost Hansen had yet to win any single WC or Thomas Cup during his years. Well, he did won 4 AE titles, which several ppl here have resevations on. Because players like Mohd Hafiz Hashim (considered a goner long long time ago) and Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong (considered a history) had also won this yearly title.... Can we say they are "great" players as well because they had won the All-England title? Hmm...
    Frost's 4 AE titles. Misbun got 0 AE.

Hafiz Hashim & KKK/TBH, well, ever heard of Blackburn Rovers in the PL or Greece in Euro2004?

I guess 4 is much much better than 1 that those MAS players won eh? So, we can safely say that Morten Frost Hansen is a great player, whereas, his compatriots, and Misbun Sidek unfortunately, don't make the cut.
    Would love to put everyone and their family members into that 'great' category but we need to draw the line somewhere, right?? Or else may as well include my kampong champion, Pak Busu bin Ali Baba who regularly win my kampong harvest cup.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greatness is a very subjective...

I think Misbun isnt a Great player so is morten frost on the world standard.

Pak Busu bin Ali Baba is a great player on his kampong standard but not even a decent player on world stage.

Misbun is a great player for Malaysia but not the world.

my2cents lol!
    Last edited by SibugiChai; 12-29-2008 at 01:07 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down To ban cooler from Badminton Central ???

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post

r u the new forum moderator?

Haha ... If I were to be one of our forum moderators, you would have been banned.

It's not because that you are a avid LIn Dan fan, but it is because you despise so many other non-CHN players who are trying to make our beloved Badminton as an international sport.

That is the issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha ... If I were to be one of our forum moderators, you would have been banned.

It's not because that you are a avid LIn Dan fan, but it is because you despise so many other non-CHN players who are trying to make our beloved Badminton as an international sport.

That is the issue.
    who are those non-chn players that i have so wrongly accused ?
    I even thot misbun earned more malayian open titles than he had actually won.
    Last edited by cooler; 12-29-2008 at 01:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Grow a pair, man.

That is the issue.
    Although your post was not directed to me, but I just can't stand your lameness.

If only you know how lame your post is.... Too bad, that badminton will forever be recognized as a "SISSY" sport around the world except for Asia... due to some sissy looking players and fans, if you don't believe me, just compare some of your so-called "non-CHN players who are trying to make our beloved Badminton as an international sport" with players like Beckham, Federer, Nadal, and those who actually look like a sportman, and not like a bunch of sissy whimpy high school kids.
    Last edited by bananakid; 12-29-2008 at 01:44 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Please don't call our beloved Badminton a 'SISSY" sport anymore

Quote Originally Posted by bananakid View Post

Although your post was not directed to me, but I just can't stand your lameness.

If only you know how lame your post is.... Too bad, that badminton will forever be recognized as a "SISSY" sport around the world except for Asia... due to some sissy looking players and fans, if you don't believe me, just compare some of your so-called "non-CHN players who are trying to make our beloved Badminton as an international sport" with players like Beckham, Federer, Nadal, and those who actually look like a sportman, and not like a bunch of sissy whimpy high school kids.

Sorry... but please don't call our beloved Badminton a 'SISSY" sport anymore.

(yes, it's off-topic... but I just couldn't resist replying)
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 12-29-2008 at 02:00 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pemuda View Post
    Peter Gade, I think bagged the AE in 99'.
    Well, my bad then. Indeed, Peter Gade had won the AE once...still the same as Mohd Hafiz Hashim and Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong; the so-called Blackburn Rovers and Greece of badminton

Not to mention he's still missing the elusive Olympics Gold and WC title that our dear Taufik Hidayat had won. So, I am afraid despite the fact that Peter did win the AE once, the standards will still judge him not as a "great" player, similar to Misbun Sidek. It still does not change the conclusion of my previous post.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pemuda drop into badmania trap...HEHE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, my bad then. Indeed, Peter Gade had won the AE once...still the same as Mohd Hafiz Hashim and Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong; the so-called Blackburn Rovers and Greece of badminton

Not to mention he's still missing the elusive Olympics Gold and WC title that our dear Taufik Hidayat had won. So, I am afraid despite the fact that Peter did win the AE once, the standards will still judge him not as a "great" player, similar to Misbun Sidek. It still does not change the conclusion of my previous post.
    Peter Gade not a Greece in Euro 2004 like HH or KKK/TBH, maybe a Holland as the lad did win numerous Grand Prix titles. At at a grand old age of 32 can still bag the Danish & French Open this year.

Well, like it or not PG did win the AE while Misbun did not. And if Misbun is considered 'great' despite not winni ng the AE, maybe PG is ''super great", eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    pemuda drop into badmania trap...HEHE
    I mean if that makes your day, by all means do think so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when LCW plays like PG at 32 and winning some titles, i would gladly make a special congratulation thread just for lcw Oh, to be in topic as per chris@ccc criteria, misbun won his last (taiwan open) title at the age of 27
    Last edited by cooler; 12-29-2008 at 04:03 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Misbun became the Malaysian National Champion without a break from 1981 to 1986

I think that one of Misbun's greatest achievements was when he defeated Liem Swie King in 1979, at the SEA Games in Manila. At that time, Liem Swie King was considered to be one of the greatest players in the world.

Then 2 years after that, it was no surprise that Misbun became the Malaysian National Champion without a break from 1981 to 1986.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pemuda View Post
    How can Misbun be considered a great player when we compare him against the likes of Yang Yang, Han Jian, Morten Frost during their playing days?

Dont know about you, I believe to be considered great one must have em' major titles. Or else we are gonna have every Tom, Dick and Harry in that great category.

So, you think there can only be three or four "great" players in a given era? Sure, he wasn't THAT great compared to some of his contemporaries, but the man was still world number 2 at one point! Do you know who happens to be world number 2 right now? Lin Dan. I know almost everyone will agree that he's a great player.

"Greatness" is subjective, though. I happen to think Misbun was great, and players like Yang Yang are REALLY great, or "super great." If your definition of "great" only allows a few players in a generation, then I would agree with your assessment. No hard feelings, lah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mugdays View Post
    So, you think there can only be three or four "great" players in a given era? Sure, he wasn't THAT great compared to some of his contemporaries, but the man was still world number 2 at one point! Do you know who happens to be world number 2 right now? Lin Dan. I know almost everyone will agree that he's a great player.

"Greatness" is subjective, though. I happen to think Misbun was great, and players like Yang Yang are REALLY great, or "super great." If your definition of "great" only allows a few players in a generation, then I would agree with your assessment. No hard feelings, lah
    LD was #1 for 2 years. Match that record first before saying LD's #2 is comparable to lcw and misbun's #2. Everytime LD beats lcw, he also beat misbun too. Sure lcw is #1 now but how did lcw got there? by LD taking time off after the OG and now 3 month military training.
    Last edited by cooler; 12-29-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or else may as well include my kampong champion, Pak Busu bin Ali Baba who regularly win my kampong harvest cup.

Btw, what is the cup made of....hahahaha!!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast