User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=alfa-2;835319][shoutings, clappings, whistlings.........] as our beloved stirrer of BC entered this thread.........[/quote
    If the beloved stirrer were 25 years old this year and Misbun was at his best in 1980, how young would the stirrer have been in 1980?(This is not a Maths test , just curiosity quiz)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=pjswift;835442]
    Quote Originally Posted by alfa-2 View Post
    [shoutings, clappings, whistlings.........] as our beloved stirrer of BC entered this thread.........[/quote
    If the beloved stirrer were 25 years old this year and Misbun was at his best in 1980, how young would the stirrer have been in 1980?(This is not a Maths test , just curiosity quiz)
    The thread starter is uncle sonnymak, with uncle taneepak making some comments & a not so old uncle Abedeng adding to the experience. Plus Misbun's teenaged son is now training under Rahman Sidek. No offense of course if you're part of the uncle/auntie gang.

I cant comment about his playing days, but coaching wise, he has the knack to bring up the game of back-up MS, dunno why his bro Rashid doesnt have the same touch.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the report, It is always good to read about players from past generations in some better detail.

His game was well suited to the game styles played at the time. These days with the greater professionalism and fast more agressive play, I feel his play would not be so successful.

He was indeed a great player.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    His game was well suited to the game styles played at the time. These days with the greater professionalism and fast more agressive play, I feel his play would not be so successful.
    That is true. It was a time where badminton was at the crossroads, with players like Prakash Padukone, Morten Frost and Misbun Sidek showing how delicate skills could still matter. Padukone, the most graceful of them, beat Liem Swie King 2 and 10 in the final of 1980 All-England, even gave Han Jian a duck in the World Cup final of 1981.

But inevitably, power players like Swie King, Han Jian, Luan Jin, Icuk and Yang Yang started to revolutionize how the game is played ....... and it continues today.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually Yang Yang started to revolutionize the game beside Lim Swie King...then came ZJH...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=eaglehelang;835494]
    Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post

The thread starter is uncle sonnymak, with uncle taneepak making some comments & a not so old uncle Abedeng adding to the experience. Plus Misbun's teenaged son is now training under Rahman Sidek. No offense of course if you're part of the uncle/auntie gang.

I cant comment about his playing days, but coaching wise, he has the knack to bring up the game of back-up MS, dunno why his bro Rashid doesnt have the same touch.
    Ok, let's try it again.
    If my memory is correct, Mr Pemuda said last year he was 24 years old.Assuming he will be 25 this year, he would have been born somewhere 1983.When Misbun played his best in 1980, Mr Pemuda would have been -3 years old(yes, 3 years in his parents' planning).
    When Misbun was on the decline,Mr Pemuda would ,at the most, be in the kindergarten.
    The question is: How could he have arrived at his judgement that Misbun was not a great player?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have my heads up whenever the word misbun was uttered.
    I was not there in his heydays.i think in 1980s.But the journey of his life..how he turn up to be misbun sidek.I know that from anak-anak sidek the anime.

Uncle misbun.U have our salute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alfa-2 View Post
    [shoutings, clappings, whistlings.........] as our beloved stirrer of BC entered this thread.........
    Brother,We can just tell that he was absolutely WRONG.

Pemuda,change the word 'great player' to 'greatest player.'
    Misbun maybe wasnt the best among the best but he is a great player.
    How should we denied that?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    Actually Yang Yang started to revolutionize the game beside Lim Swie King...then came ZJH...
    Even Yang Yang took a lot of time to make his mark. It took him, what, 3-4 years before he could beat Morten Frost? But once he started, Frost could never beat him again.

Han Jian might not be as full fledged attacking minded as Swie King and Yang Yang, but he was still an attacking player. I find him to be more well rounded and complete than either Yang Yang or Zhao Jianhua. That 3 game battle between Swie King and Han Jian in 1982 Thomas Cup Final was pivotal, and CHN turned the tables ........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=pjswift;835749]
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    Ok, let's try it again.
    If my memory is correct, Mr Pemuda said last year he was 24 years old.Assuming he will be 25 this year, he would have been born somewhere 1983.When Misbun played his best in 1980, Mr Pemuda would have been -3 years old(yes, 3 years in his parents' planning).
    When Misbun was on the decline,Mr Pemuda would ,at the most, be in the kindergarten.
    The question is: How could he have arrived at his judgement that Misbun was not a great player?
    Ages is the factor to made a judgement? How would u judge Thomas Alva Edison? Was he a great inventor in the world? Based on your theory, you can do the judgement here coz u r not even born at that time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was a great player except for the weird things that he did..like having his hair styled in the mohawk fashion and bleaching the middle part his hair. Caused quite a stir..felt he had to express himself?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^Sounds..^^

..similar to another popular MAS' modern day player..

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..similar to another popular MAS' modern day player..
    Yes, well I suppose it is.

BAM in the late-70s to early-80s did not have a very credible coaching setup. Thus early in his career, Misbun pretty much did his own analysis of games and planned his own training. Even pulled himself out of BAM training to prepare on his own for the World Cup in 1982, and managed a runnerup finish behind Liem Swie King.

I suppose Misbun does have inherent coaching pedigree, just like Taufik Hidayat has inherent badminton talent.

By the time Dr Elyas Omar, the BAM President, changed the training set up and roped in foreign coaches in the late-80s, it was a bit too late to benefit Misbun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, let's try it again.
    Maybe, just maybe, thanks to these awesome inventions named newspaper and match videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post
    Ages is the factor to made a judgement? How would u judge Thomas Alva Edison? Was he a great inventor in the world? Based on your theory, you can do the judgement here coz u r not even born at that time.
    Yea, I second this.
    My great-great-great grandparents weren't even born in 17th century. So, why should I waste my time learning Isaac Newton's 3 Laws of Motion?

Based on that theory, because I didn't meet him in person and didn't see him doing all the calculations, debates with other scientists, and that 'apple incident,' then I could question his great contribution to the humanity?

I would even possibly come into a conclusion that, "Isaac Newton was an idiot."
    Last edited by Jagdpanther; 12-26-2008 at 12:26 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your quotes are all jumbled up.
    That first quote is from pjswift.
    It is not from eaglehelang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Your quotes are all jumbled up.
    That first quote is from pjswift.
    It is not from eaglehelang
    Whoops, you're right. Thanks for reminding. There. Already edited.
    All, you said? Any other mistake?

Sorry Sire, I think someone has this, "Only by seeing live then you have the right to give opinion" theory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Some basic common sense please

Ok, let's try it again.
    Dear pjswift,

True, true I have never had the chance to see Misbun Sidek as a player. In the same vein, I have also never seen Pele, George Best, Franz Beckenbauer in action but are they legends in football. I will say yes without a doubt. Just in case you dont know or unaware, there is such a thing called research. To help you a little, there are history books. But if reading is not something for you, try this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misbun_Sidek

After looking at Misbun's achievements, to consider him as a great player is stretching things a little.

Based on your little theory, if anyone asked you whether Abraham Lincoln, Mahatma Gandhi or Martin Luther King Jr were great men are you gonna say you dont know because you have never seen them in action or were still in your little pram especially for Martin Luther King Jr's case??

You dont even need a math or curiosity test for this, just an application of elementary logic will suffice.
    Last edited by Pemuda; 12-26-2008 at 12:49 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast