Lower Back Muscle Strain

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by total19, Apr 1, 2008.

1. total19

total19 Regular Member

Hi, I am relatively new to badminton, have only been playing regularly (3 hrs/week) 6 months ago. I really enjoy playing badminton, I give my heart and soul to it and dream about it most of the time. I have never had any coach and no advance level playing experience. I used to be very active in all kind of sports (especially basketball), but stopped completely four years ago when I got to university..... I started badminton half a year ago as I thought sitting in front of the computer all day is just a sin....

After a few weeks of refreshing at the begining, I really fall in love with the game, I started to push myself alittle harder, coz I knew that I could cope. Playing Friday nite 3hrs, saturday morning another 3 hrs, sunday another 2 hrs. Sometimes miss dinner or lunch just to play. These all halt at one time when my lower back muscle calls me to stop. It is at night when my muscles cooled down and it became so stiff that my back coudnt even straighten. Imagine an elderly with a walking stick....but swap that with a face of a bloke who is in his early 20s. Its painful just to stand up.

It was recovered 3/4 weeks later, but ever since, when I try to do any sport again I can feel that its about to come again. If I really have to push in a game, I usually end up as the same elderly for the next whole week.

I have seem a doctor about this, and she said this is a common stress and I was given some painkiller (more specially NSAIDs).

I dont know if any expert here can give me some advise. It may be normal to you guys..... or you may have seen it. One reason may be that I have gain alot of weight over the last couple of years, with no exercise, my muscles were so unused for any exercise..... or may be my posture is so bad that uses the wrong muscle....

Many Thanks.

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I suggest you search online for "spondylolysis" (not spondylitis) ;)

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    will chiropractor solve this problem?

my current problem, pain at the a s s......:D
    actually is the area of joint between femur and pelvis. now, i do walk like total19......:( the pain spread to my lower back right side......:crying:

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

No, you need to see an orthopaedician.
    Massages and other unguent-based therapies won't be of lasting help.

The good thing is that one can learn to live with it.
    Quite comfortably too.

Of course, you will need to abide by a few rules.
    A good orthopaedician will have good answers :)

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

The cause of many back injuries is the inability to the correct torso posture when doing physical activities. This is important because the "core" muscles are strongest in a neutral spine position. When your spine is flexed, bent or twisted, more load is transferred to it and consequently more fatigue loading occurs.

There are exercise progressions out there like bird-dogs and bridges which re-teach you to maintain correct posture in progressively more challenging activities.

6. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    gm Oldhand,
    my problem can solve by an orthopaedician.

chiropractor can solve "spondylolysis"? this is what i mean....

or do i messed something here?

many thanks.
    #my easy solution is get rest now..........:D
    errr... also dont do jump smash :p

7. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I have this back problem too.. in fact, quite alot of badminton players get it..

8. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Well, my answer to that question is "No" :)

9. Retro_10s

Retro_10s Regular Member

hello mate, I notice you're in the UK too! I'm 23, and have just recovered from lower back Pain in the last week... and i mean, full on crippling pain like you described.

I stopped playing seriously for a 5-6 weeks, Never stretched on the court and never smashed stopped playing hard mens games. Doctor gave me some gentle stretches to do before and after every game you play. you MUST do these if you're playing whilst healing.

They key is to Keep it moving whilst it's healing but obviously not too much, otherwise it will heal up Tight and you will Pull/tear it again in no time. also don't bend down to pick the shuttle up,... straight back and bent knees,

After about (thinks) 5.5 weeks I'm now playing normally, no back pain etc. I also found that slowing down has really helped my game.