Frequent overhead shot mishits

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by commonman00, Apr 1, 2008.

1. commonman00

commonman00 Regular Member

Hi,
    I wonder if you could help.
    I am starting to play badminton again after some 8 years of absence and I understand that it will take several weeks/months before I regain my skills.
    One thing that has frustrated me most is that I frequently mishit overhead shots (smashes and clears). Sometimes, my footwork gets me to the right position ready to attack only to see my racket mishitting the shuttle.

One of the causes I think is the fact that I am now wearing glasses. I used to play without glasses when I was younger. I suspect that because glasses diverge lights reflected by distant objects, the shuttle flight may not be as "direct" as it were viewed without glasses... Anyways that's my excuse.

I have tried changing the grip towards "panhead" to ensure that the racket face is open for a cleaner - more direct hit...

I understand that to eliminate mishits, I need to practice more to get the timing right.

I was wondering if there are any other suggestions that can help to minimise overhead mishits?

2. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    relax, and forget about power and length. focus a lot on hitting it right. after so long of not playing, don't expect to have good clears and big smashes. but most importantly, relax. the more you get angry, the worse you play.

3. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Focus on dropshots for 20 minutes everytime you play. Try to get in line with the contact point, and not striking shuttle too far away from body. Use a universal grip not panhandle. Pan handle for overheads will induce a wrong hitting action and can make your shots too snatchy and a contact point too low. You need to look for more rhythm and timing.

4. trickflick

trickflick Regular Member

HS

i doubt its the glasses
    i used to wear contacts and now i don't, instead wearing glasses (trying to save money). at first i felt disoriented but after a day or two it was almost the same as before

an 8 year hiatus is a LONG time. it's probably just that