Melbourne, Australia

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by jeetz_2, Jan 21, 2002.

1. jeetz_2

jeetz_2 Guest

I will be leaving to Melbourne, Australia (from Canada) in the summer, and I am hoping to continue playing badminton. Does anyone know of any places to play down south?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    you can try looking up the Australian badminton website.

I heard there was a badminton academy run by ex-ladies singles world champ, Han Ai Ping but do not know its location.

That's a long trip you're making!

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hmm, why not go there in the during canadian winter months.

4. jeetz_2

jeetz_2 Guest

Good point cooler, I would have loved to go during the Canadian Winter months (and hence Australian Summer months), but I dont really have a choice...its for work.

5. @ndy

@ndy Guest

i'm sure if u go to any of the melb Uni and ask the sport & recreation officer, they can help you.

u don't even have to wait till then, can email them now for a response.

6. Cliff

Cliff Guest

You have chosen the best place to play Badminton in Australia. As Melbourne has the most number of players and is also the strongest badminton State in Australia. In fact Melbourne in the State of Victoria is known as the sporting Capital of Australia.
    We cater for all under age Juniors in tournaments, daytime ladies, evening mixed competitions and over 40yr veteran weekend team matches.There are also social groups to join with at our aptly named Melb Sports & Aquatic Centre effectionately known as MSAC in the suburb of South Melbourne, so there is plenty of opportunity to play badminton here most of the time. Good luck.

7. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    and thats an understatement the sporting capital of the world. I have a thread also named Melbourne, Australia which has my fav spots.

8. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

Places to play in Melbourne Victoria are:

MSAC - Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Center. (Melbourne F1 GP Circuit) - Aughtie Drive, Albert Park (15min drive from Melb. CBD)

Hawthorn Community Centre - End of Grace Street, off Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn. (25min)

Altona Community Centre - Civic Pde, Altona (30min)

Kilsyth Sports Centre - Pinks Reserve, off Liverpool Road, Kilsyth (1 hour)

Whitefriars College - Park Road, Donvale (50min)

Nunawading Recreation Centre - Oval Way, Nunawading (45min)

There are a few more out there but I have yet to play there.......

If you do get down to Australia, let me know and I can arrange to show you around!

9. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    same here :)

you can get to those spots using public transport.

nunawading rec centre is less that 1 minute walk from nunawading station which is on the lilydale/belgrave line

kilsyth is closer to croydon station which is on the ringwood line and about a 30 minute walk from there.

MSAC I think there is a tram line going down that street whixh MSAC is located

Hawthorn, Im don't exactly know if that is closer to Hawthorn or Glenferrie stations but It would be close to one of them.

There is a train line that finishes out at springvale, and a few kilometres down the round is a really good place called springers which suprisingly ayl doesnt know about. And as Iv said before they have the sydney 2000 olympic courts there. And because it is the main asian community in melbourne you should be able to find plenty of action around there.

10. jeetz_2

jeetz_2 New Member

snapped strings

Thanks for the info guys, i will certainly have to check out some of those other gyms. For now I have been playing at MSAC and Melbourne UNI.

....also I just snapped one of my racquet strings this weekend :mad:

Do either of you know a good place (and reasonably priced) to get badminton racquets restrung... Preferably close to the Melbourne CBD, as I dont have a car over here, and take the tram system around.

Thanks,
    jeetz