Releasing the draw on the eve of a Badminton tournament

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 4, 2008.

?

Releasing the draw on the eve of a badminton tournament

1. It's a good idea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not welcomed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Greetings,

I have just received this news released today, Saturday 5-April-2008:

Releasing the draw on the eve of a Badminton tournament

Perhaps, our members here at Badminton Central can vote on this practice suggested by the Badminton World Federation (BWF).

Poll: Releasing the draw on the eve of a Badminton tournament:
    (1) Vote for it
    (2) Vote against it

Below is the article saying that BWF is wishing to try it.

====== ====== start article ====== ======

Saturday April 5, 2008
    The Star

Badminton: A first for ABC meet
    By Rajes Paul

PETALING JAYA: For the first time ever, shuttlers competing in the Asian Badminton Championships (ABC) will not know who their opponents are until the eve of the tournament.

This is because the draw for the ABC meet, scheduled to be held from April 15-20 in Johor Baru, will only be conducted during the team managers' meeting on April 14.

The ABC is the last tournament offering Asian players the chance to win Olympic qualifying points.

Yesterday, Badminton Asia Confederation (BAC) chief operating officer (COO) Karen Koh said that they decided to hold the draw a day before the tournament to make it more exciting.

Another reason was to avoid changes and replacements in the draw due to last-minute withdrawals.

“Sometimes, re-draws have to be done because the seeded players withdraw at the eleventh hour. This time, the draw will only be done after the team managers have confirmed their players’ entries,” said Karen. “We are trying this out for the first time in a BAC tournament after the executive council gave us the nod. We also asked the hosts – the BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia) – and they agreed, saying it was a good idea.”

“The draw will be conducted during the team managers’ meeting and everyone will get to see how it is done. This will leave no room for people to question the validity of the draw.”*

Karen said that this (releasing the draw on the eve of a tournament) could become a permanent practice in the Badminton World Federation’s (BWF) Super Series events if the badminton fraternity welcomed it.

On the entries of the players for the ABC, she said the list would be released today.

“The world's best will be coming to Malaysia to compete in this meet. We are determining the seedings of the players based on the latest world rankings. The BAC will release the full cast tomorrow,” she said.

National No. 1 Lee Chong Wei, who is aiming to regain the title which he last won in 2006, will spearhead Malaysia challenge.

====== ====== end article ====== ======

What do you think and how would you vote?

Perhaps kwun could organise a poll on this issue. :):):)

Cheers... chris@ccc

#1 chris-ccc, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Sandy's PAW games is now in jeopardy

Oh, I've forgotten to mention how I would vote. :):):)

Yes, I would vote for it...... that is, to hold the draw a day before the tournament. It should be more fun and more exciting to hold the draw a day before the tournament when all the players, coaches and team managers are there in attendance.

But for members@Badminton Central playing our Sandy's PAW games, it would be chaotic I suppose. :eek::eek::eek:

So sorry that Sandy's PAW games is now in jeopardy.

3. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    I vote for a "yes..i think it's a good idea.."=)

4. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I just commented ...I discussed this with one of BWF official regarding making draw at the eve last year for SS.

a. Qualifiers
    Instead of placing Q1 vs Player...it is better to draw on the spot after getting all qualifiers like Tennis.

The issue with BWF is that many players who under RESERVE may not go to the tournament as they do not know who will withdraw from Main and qualifying as well..

I suggested that if there are more players withdraw then we will have Lucky Losers..just like in Tennis...especially for last minute withdrawal.

Then he mentioned that another problem for players or their federations is getting visas as well as booking the ticket and find out later that he/she could not play...

Thats the issues...any suggestion to solve it?

5. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

Same here. A yes on this one. More exciting and less issue related to players faling out because of different reasons. Makes the tournament go much more smoothly.

Huang's right... new issues popping up.

#5 Fengwei, Apr 5, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  6. hhs1000

hhs1000 Regular Member

This is definitely not a good excuse for a poor planning and execution. As we have seen in many Asian tournaments (GP India is a very obvious one), Asian organisers need to learn a lot from their Europe counterpart.

Till now, we still do not have the list of players for Asian Championship published, while Euro has finalized the draw.

Even smaller tournament like Polish & Finnish Open can do much better than them.

Asia is the powerhouse in the game, but a sloppy organizer in general. That contribute to the lower status of Badminton compared to Tennis.

Just my 2 cents.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    And why they cannot play? Do they find out they cannot play after the draw is made;)?

Only injury is the legitimate excuse once the association has decided to send a player.

We've heard of players not being able to get visas but really, let's face it, that's really poor preparation by the team manager or the team coach confirming entries very late.

8. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    What I mean is if the draw is made within a day...reserve players do not know whether they will make it into the draw or not ..especially after manager's meeting...The Manager meeting usually starts 5 pm on Monday ..so reserve players should be there at the host's country...what happens if no one withdraws...so money spent on reserve players are wasted....thats the concern from federation especially for asian players where to get European visas need one week to 10 days...
    Visa for UK alone costs INA players Rp 4 million rupiahs or US$ 370 per person.

9. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    in tennis, you take your chances...if you get into qualifying alone...it may pay off your expenses..it will work well if the prize money is getting bigger and bigger..

I think it will benefit more to the host...becasue if main /qualifying players can not play then reserve from hosts more likely will fill in....

Thats my 10 cents..hehe

#9 huangkwokhau, Apr 5, 2008
  10. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

In some post I wasn't agree about centralize drawing who held a long time before the tournament started.

In PAW WTA (when I run it for 4 years), Drawing held mostly in Friday for Qualifying and Saturday for Main Draw. Qualifying started to play in Saturday and 1st round started from Monday.

It wasn't a big problem for PAW and I vote Yes

11. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I voted " YES" but I think we need to make the rules clearer...I still love the concept though

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Perhaps it is harder to organise tournaments in Asia

Hi hhs1000,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I found that there are more players withdrawing from Asian tournaments at the last moment compared to from European tournaments.

It must be because there are more Asians playing in Asia than in Europe. Asian players are known for withdrawing at the last moment.

Perhaps it is because of this that it is harder to organise tournaments in Asia.

Cheers... chris@ccc
    :):):)

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Not a big problem for our PAW games

This is good news for all our PAW games.

Actually, with fewer withdrawals, fewer amendments are required from our PAW players. :)

#13 chris-ccc, Apr 5, 2008
  14. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yup, i agree it's worth a try. as long as the draw is done fairly, which i'm sure it will be, then nobody should have any complaints.

15. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Good idea. It defintely has more advantages than disadvantages.

(+) It avoids or minimises redraws. For instance, some players choose to withdraw after receiving a unfavorable draw if the draw is done much earlier.:rolleyes:
    (+) It ensures more balanced quarters caused by last minute withdrawal by seeded players.:cool:
    (+) It guarantees certain degrees of suprises in terms of draw.:eek:

(-) Baddy enthusiats have to wait longer before the draw is released.:(:p

Just my 2 cents...

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The Poll Results after the first 20 votes

The Poll Result after the first 14 hours (20 votes);

It's a good idea...... 80.00%
    Not welcomed....... 20.00%

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Welcomed for big events like Super Series and Worlds and Olympics but other than that not welcomed, maybe not even for Super Series. Big federations can probably afford to take the risk but smaller ones surely can't.

18. event

event Regular Member

That's a tough one. As far as I can tell, there are numerous reasons why players withdraw and why redraws are done. Withdrawals are far more common but I am not sure that last-minute draws will solve many of the problems. A while ago, the BWF announced planned fines for teams that withdraw. This is a familiar problem but a whole team withdrawing has absolutely nothing to do with the draw. I suspect it has more to do with money or visas, although we rarely get the whole story.

The ongoing Osaka International is one example. When Mongolia, Sri Lanka, or Ghana does it, it doesn't cause upheaval but when one of the three strongest teams withdraws from a tournament like that, it changes the tournament entirely. Still, though, only two of those Indonesian entries were seeded so it didn't force a re-draw. What's more, there is no reason to think that the Indonesians didn't get on the plane because they were afraid of meeting the likes of Mitani Minatsu/Aratama Misato or Takiuchi Ryo/Hasegawa Tatsuya in the first round. Nor did Kakiiwa Reika scare off top-seeded Hwang Hye Youn.

In fact, I can think of only a few cases last year when the new Super Series format had a few top Chinese players facing each other in the first or second rounds where it looked obviously as if the draw had prompted withdrawals.

Anyone recall what percentage of re-draws have been a result of withdrawals by seeds? Mistakes are another reason. I think that caused a re-draw before the 2006 World Championships, didn't it? And the Yang/Zhang mistake likely should have prompted a re-draw last year.

I agree that withdrawals and re-draws are a scourge, but I question the effectiveness of the proposed measure. Moreover, I think earlier draws help contribute to the excitement and anticipation of a tournament. Just look at how much activity on this forum surrounds the release of a draw.

On the other hand, a late release of a draw might help even if the number of withdrawals stays constant. So if a player or a whole team decides to withdraw because of injury, money, or visa (the 3 top reasons?), then a later draw will possibly exclude more of these and more accurately represent the tournament's true entries.

#18 event, Apr 5, 2008
  19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Compare to organising the seating arrangements for diners

event...... IMHO, even if the number of withdrawals stays constant, a late release of a draw would be easier for the tournament organisers to run.

Otherwise, it's like us trying to organise the seating arrangements for diners when we don't know who will be attending the dinner. :):):)

#19 chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  20. event

event Regular Member

I agree. I was conceding that point at the end of my post.

I was forgetting about this simple advantage when writing the first part of my post, which was more a response to the suggestion by two other members that the number of withdrawals due to unfavourable draws was significant.

To be fair to the BAC, in the original article, their spokesperson didn't identify players withdrawing because of the draw as the key problem.

#20 event, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2008