User Tag List

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    We know some players actually do play better with high tension.
    A simple rule I use to determine the correct tension is look at a player's existing power. If the power is abundant, and not only when the player is fresh, then the player should be able to handle higher tension.

I think practically anyone can play high tension for a few shots. But that would not be a good basis for people to claim high tension is good for everybody. The key to a good tension, high or low, is that sufficient power must be availble on tap irrespective of the circumstance - whether the player is tired or not, and whether the player can execute a shot in an ideal posture or not.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you read?

Sorry CoolDoo6,

Do you even read my post? I said MIGHT! That is for you. Because there are people like you who likes lower tension than higher as they progress(?).

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDoo6
    Not in all cases. The longer I play the lower tension I need. Last year I was using 16lbs, and this year I am using 15lbs. Maybe next year I will need 14 lbs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart
    Sorry CoolDoo6,

Do you even read my post? I said MIGHT! That is for you. Because there are people like you who likes lower tension than higher as they progress(?).
    CD is the only person I know that has dropped tension. Everyone else I know, as they progress, maintain the same tension or (usually) go up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

CD is the ultimate wushu master of badminton: less is more -> (imply) working towards 0 lb = max power .

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    CD is the only person I know that has dropped tension. Everyone else I know, as they progress, maintain the same tension or (usually) go up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    he's one those one in a billionth occurrence of nature

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care how other people play with high tension.
    We know some players actually do play better with high tension.
    Professionals being a case in point.
    If there was an ideal tension, why don't all the pros use the same tension?

I might string one of my own racquets with PG66 at 28/31.
    Which of my racquets should I use? Which is ideal?
    I might use an oval, so is 28/30.8 ideal for both oval and isometric?
    I play in leagues where some clubs use plastic shuttles for matches
    Will it be ideal even with plastic shuttles?
    All these are too complicated so why not try the simple test I suggested earlier on feathers. All you need is to prepare a sheet of paper with columns and rows, showing on the first row, 1st column players, 2nd column tension A, 3rd column tension B, and last column tension C. Get 10 players to try out an A/B comparison of the 3 tensions. Then just jot down their preference starting from row 2 across the columns.
    Another day, another place, try it again on a new batch of players, including beginners and advanced players.
    I do have the luxury of stringing 3 racquets of the same brand, same brand string at different tensions, to do these type of test. In fact I do it very often enough to say without hesitation that almost all players can and would prefer tensions of up to 30lbs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDoo6
    Not in all cases. The longer I play the lower tension I need. Last year I was using 16lbs, and this year I am using 15lbs. Maybe next year I will need 14 lbs.
    Perhaps you are transforming the badminton racquet into a catapult and then into a cesta (used in Jai-Alai), in which your racquet stringbed will mimic the curve of the cesta's whicker basket built-in curve. Both the catapult and the cesta use power from only one source whereas a badminton racquet makes use of power from two sources. Very low tensions in a badminton racquet are not able to make good use of the power/energy of the incoming shuttle-hence a catapult of cesta type of energy/power delivery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taneepak,

Re : asking Neil to do the simple test.

I'm more than certain that Neil has tested high tension in some part of his badminton life. If he continues to use low tension then the obvious is clear. He prefers low tension.

So, Eepak. Get over it already.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jug8man
    Taneepak,

Re : asking Neil to do the simple test.

I'm more than certain that Neil has tested high tension in some part of his badminton life. If he continues to use low tension then the obvious is clear. He prefers low tension.

So, Eepak. Get over it already.
    I am not sure about this as I have a feeling he may be tempted to try higher tensions than to what he is accustomed to. The only one who is a low-tension diehard fan, going in the opposite direction of almost everyone else, is Mr Cool (not Cooler) who is trying to make his racquet into a sling. Wasn't it David who used a sling to slay a Goliath?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    I am not sure about this as I have a feeling he may be tempted to try higher tensions than to what he is accustomed to.
    I have used 28lb and 30lb in the past, but only with BG68Ti and BG70Pro, which is why I may be open to experimentation with PG66.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an experiment I did string about 3 identical racquets with identical strings but at different tensions some months ago. The string used was PG66 Neon Green. The lowest was 23/25.25lbs, the next was 26/28.5lbs, and the third one was 28/30.8lbs. I had other players try these 3 racquets, starting with the lowest tension first and the highest tension last. Almost all preferred the highest tension racquet, and some of the players were beginners or advanced beginners.
    As a matter of fact you can use this progressive increase in tension when you string for others. When I string for others, the first time I would up the tension by 1.5lbs, the second time another 1.5lbs, and then finally going up to 30/33lbs if the feedback from them is positive.
    if beginners, intermediate, and advance players all liked ultra high tension, this would make stringer's life alot easier because i would have just do tensions between 28 and 33 lbs, and make alot of threads in BF obselete about tension less than 28 lbs. Rackets manufacturers would need to make and sell rackets that can withstand 28+ lbs. Yonex would love it too coz it would eliminate the fake racket market as no fakes can withstand peter_lsd treatment Yonex would corner the racket market even more.
    Last edited by cooler; 02-18-2007 at 04:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All these are too complicated so why not try the simple test I suggested earlier on feathers. All you need is to prepare a sheet of paper with columns and rows, showing on the first row, 1st column players, 2nd column tension A, 3rd column tension B, and last column tension C. Get 10 players to try out an A/B comparison of the 3 tensions. Then just jot down their preference starting from row 2 across the columns.
    Another day, another place, try it again on a new batch of players, including beginners and advanced players.
    I do have the luxury of stringing 3 racquets of the same brand, same brand string at different tensions, to do these type of test. In fact I do it very often enough to say without hesitation that almost all players can and would prefer tensions of up to 30lbs.
    now, this might be me, jumping into the thread..but you two are on entirely different wavelengths...

Neil isn't interested in wether or not people generally (generally, so with exceptions!) like higher tension..why would he care? he interested in what's best for him...you on the other seem to think everybody would play better with higher tensions...

using higher tensions is not really a goal of life for everybody...it's not something to train for, it's conventient...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used 28lb and 30lb in the past, but only with BG68Ti and BG70Pro, which is why I may be open to experimentation with PG66.
    Yes high tension and thin strings go well together but at a high cost of more frequent string breakage. Thin strings bite deeper into the cork and have a better feel. Do try PG66 at 26lbs mains and 28.5lbs crosses for a start; and if you like it you can then go 2lbs up at 28lbs/30.75lbs later.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    if beginners, intermediate, and advance players all liked ultra high tension, this would make stringer's life alot easier because i would have just do tensions between 28 and 33 lbs, and make alot of threads in BF obselete about tension less than 28 lbs. Rackets manufacturers would need to make and sell rackets that can withstand 28+ lbs. Yonex would love it too coz it would eliminate the fake racket market as no fakes can withstand peter_lsd treatment Yonex would corner the racket market even more.
    I have strung many fakes at 26/28.5lbs and I have had no problem. I also had a few owners who wanted to cheat me by asking me to string their expensive Yonex racquets, which upon closer examination with my 10X magnifying eye piece revealed hairline cracks that were inflicted by other previous stringers, to very high tensions.
    Most modern racquets can withstand up to 30lbs, and that includes fakes and Yonex. What has not come up to standard is the extreme quality range of stringers, including some who will crack a racquet even when stringing to 20lbs. Some even cracked the racquet at the 12 o'clock before stringing the first string.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your machine can recognize a difference of 0.05 lb? My goodness.

Yes high tension and thin strings go well together but at a high cost of more frequent string breakage. Thin strings bite deeper into the cork and have a better feel. Do try PG66 at 26lbs mains and 28.5lbs crosses for a start; and if you like it you can then go 2lbs up at 28lbs/30.75lbs later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

PG-66 and PG-70 are much softer strings than BG-70 Pro and BG-68 Ti. If you use 24 lbs on the Yonex, add 2 to 3 lbs on the Ashaway to get the same stringbed stiffness.

Last edited by Pete LSD; 02-18-2007 at 05:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dink! You took the words out of me as a prime example .

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    using higher tensions is not really a goal of life for everybody...it's not something to train for, it's conventient...

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast